Author Topic: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com [YEAR ONE w/END OF YEAR VIDEO]  (Read 64694 times)

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
  • customsforthekid.blogspot.com
    • Customs for the Kid
Re: www.customsforthekid.blogspot.com
« Reply #300 on: March 25, 2011, 07:36:24 PM »
The Force Is Strong With Him!

Elias and I came across this post on Action Figure Empire and we asked if we could post it on our blog too!  When Elias saw a fellow Star Wars collector who shared his name and who was in need of my assistance, we jumped at the chance to offer a hand.   We'll be sending some custom action figures  his way and we have a feeling you all will too.  We've been informed that he'd like a version of himself as a Padawan.  We checked and we couldn't find an appropriate body for the job.  I'll look around on ebay,  and see if I can find one.  If anyone has a body for the job and wants to volunteer for the project, his picture is below.  If not I'll try and locate one.  If there is one thing I know about the customizing community it's the desire of the community to get involved in projects such as this. Therefore, I figured I'd get the word out to as many of you as possible.

If anyone wants to front page this it would be cool.

The original post appears below:

Today I want to turn this blog's attention to the story of a young Star Wars action figure collector named Eli. Eli is madly passionate about all things Star Wars and Star Wars toys. He's an outgoing little guy with a great big smile and he's also into arts and crafts, and World War 2. Eli is has been diagnosed with a rare life-threatening disease called Severe Aplastic Anemia, a disease of the bone marrow. Severe Aplastic Anemia also affects the immune system making it difficult for those who have it to be out in public. You can imagine how this makes it hard to get out and do things, visit with people, or even shop for Star Wars toys. We here at Action Figure Empire call for your support for young Eli, a fan, and a collector who needs all the support he can get right now. We ask that you donate one or more, Star Wars toys of any kind to Eli. You can Include a message of your own to Eli if you wish as well. Eli will be delighted to receive your generous donations. Please send them to:

Action Figure Empire
114 Oak Street Apt. D
Maybrook, NY 12543

From there we at AFE will then forward your generous donations to Eli. AFE is proud to create and participate in the official Toys for Eli Toy Drive. Please take a moment to contribute to Eli's Star Wars action figure collection. Every donation you give helps!

We give the Official Action Figure Empire Salute to Eli and his family.

Thank you for reading this and thank you so much for your donations!

May The Force Be With You All!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #301 on: March 26, 2011, 04:35:38 AM »
This is on the front page.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #302 on: March 26, 2011, 04:41:32 AM »
Now there is a worthy cause indeed.

About the padawan fig, what about an ep1 annakin as a base?

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #303 on: March 26, 2011, 05:17:46 AM »
That would be perfect, but I don't have one on hand.  I have to scour ebay later and see if I can search one out.

Offline SITHHAPPENS

• I LOVE IT WHEN A CUSTOM COMES TOGETHER!
  • Major
    • sanitariumcustoms.blogspot.com
« Reply #304 on: March 26, 2011, 05:36:34 AM »
I do have one just let me know I would be happy to help

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #305 on: March 26, 2011, 08:03:30 AM »
Guys this is a great cuse and I would be happy to offer my services. I don't have the figure but SH if you want to send it to me I'll give it the treatment and build him a mini rig to go with it. I have tons of fodder for the rig and have been eyeing several options. I'll be back later today to check in, Jaxon's birthday party in in a few hours and we are scrambling right now.

Offline SITHHAPPENS

• I LOVE IT WHEN A CUSTOM COMES TOGETHER!
  • Major
    • sanitariumcustoms.blogspot.com
« Reply #306 on: March 26, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
Guys this is a great cuse and I would be happy to offer my services. I don't have the figure but SH if you want to send it to me I'll give it the treatment and build him a mini rig to go with it. I have tons of fodder for the rig and have been eyeing several options. I'll be back later today to check in, Jaxon's birthday party in in a few hours and we are scrambling right now.
sure no problem i only have the figure just pm me im going to post office on monday thanks

Offline darknsour

• Captain
« Reply #307 on: March 26, 2011, 01:26:55 PM »
I'll send some stuff on monday!!!

My brother and his family live in Maybrook, NY.

It's in Orange county NY, rignt near where Orange County Choppers , the show with paul senior and the gang make the choppers!!!

I've been thier my niece when she was in High School interviewed them for the school paper and she got me all thier autographs.
Back when they were one shop!!! LOL

Rich

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #308 on: March 27, 2011, 11:14:23 AM »
We should probably give Eli his own thread and have everybody post up the items they are sending his way that way he has a way to determine his inventory.  lol.  Hopefully this thread has a long lifespan.  I'll create it now.

Here's the new thread:
http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=6537.msg99405#msg99405

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #309 on: March 27, 2011, 11:24:35 AM »
Just finished my Mini-Rig Contest entry, but I'm not quite ready to submit my five photos yet.  

It was a real labor of love.  I easily put in more than 40 hours of work into this one.  I made this speeder bike from an Operation Rex toy that I saw in Target on the day that the contest was announced.   After that it was all fodder.  An everything but the kitchen sink affair.  Constructing it was an effort that was much enjoyed.  I sculpted most of the controls, spare the Vader control pad.  I also sculpted the around grill and the front window.  Oh... and the cushioned seating, yeah, that's sculpted too.  

After that fodder galore.  An A-team special if you will.  A beater, clunker, jalopy, hooptie.  Look at your fodder and see more than what the object was meant to represent and envision what it could become with a little imagination.  The grill and window were made from a G.I. Joe radar dish I found in my fodder.  The front axles were made from two yellow missiles and a  Momaw Nadon staff that sculpted Apoxie Sculpt hydraulic shocks fastened to what once were guns that I can't identify, but I'm seeing on Luke Sprywalker's incredibely cool entry.  The nose of the speeder bike was made from a Hulk Battle Axe that  is from the  Hulk action figure everyone was turning into a Gamorean gladiator recently,  as well as , a gold plastic mask that was in a fodder bag that we got on Ebay.  The antennas at the rear are made from a Mas Ameda staff and the bottom of an Indiana Jones torch.  I even have the long white tube from a krazy glue container  glued to the bottom and painted purple to give it the shape I wanted.  Two hilts from the Prince of Persia toy line are attached to the front of the pod with removable swords.  The Robonino backpack is removable and all his accessories are included and the vibroaxe is fastened with a clear rubber band.  The tail fin is also unidentified fodder and is sculpted in place.  The leg straps that hang down came from the guns that now hold the axel and nose in place.  A pen was  cut and painted  to attach the missile to the bike and both the missile and pen cap are removable. A Mandolorian shield is at the rear.  The engine and fire attached at the bottom are both adjustable as well as removable.  After that it was all custom painted and dressed up .

The two custom action figures that may live out there days in Star Wars, but they were definitely created by a desire to have some Dreadnoks for myself when Elias asks me to play with him.  ELias has no interest in Joes, but the Dreadnoks were my favorite action figures growing up.  I think a lot of my customs are influenced by my love for those action figures.  I remember when I got my first one , a Buzzer, as the toy was getting paid for at the counter my knees started to shake because I was so excited.  The toy created involuntary responses in me!!  Now that's toy making.

So the driver was created a Koffi Arana action figure, a Star Wars drummer that was in Jabba's Palace whose name I can't remember for the life of me at the moment and fodder, fodder, fooder with an Apoxie Sculpt beard.  The Gunner was made from a Pirates of the Caribbean Marty action figure with Apoxie Scupt hair and a Vintage Yoda robe.  Unfortunately, I dropped the gun I had for him behind the couch.

Anyway, now I'm just waiting for the battery on my camera to finish charging. Oh, and finding an appropriate back ground is also proving difficult.   The speeder bike isn't easy to photograph at all.  I'm submitting WIP shots of the photo shoot process instead of the construction process because as any customizer knows, that showing your work properly is also sometimes equally as challenging as getting the custom finished.  So these are the photos of my WIP submission.  These are the photos I have taken so far that I am thinking of using toward my final entry photos.  

These are my WIP photos that I took before the camera died.  There were about 13 pictures and I didn't want to clog up the contest thread.

If there are any photos that you like and you think I should use in the final entry, I'll # the photos and you can say use #'s...

(Already fixed and painted the antenna where the paint scratched off. If the framing is good and you think I should retake the photo and use it in the final 5, let me know. )

Feedback is needed.  

Don't really know what 5 to enter and if all 5 will even be in this set of pictures.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 04:57:17 AM by darthdaddy »

Offline CaptainLux

• "Get the order and execute it. Let the generals sort out the rest." -CC-5052
  • Fleet Admiral
  • Captain Lux 327th Star Corps
« Reply #310 on: March 27, 2011, 11:56:35 AM »
Sweet man!

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #311 on: March 27, 2011, 12:19:00 PM »
Whoa!!  Nice ride!  It has a very "Droids" cartoon mini-rig feel to it.  I could see the PotC fig under the mohawk, but the Kofi fig - I didn't have a clue!  It *looked* like you'd snagged a Mr. T head from somewhere...  nice work!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #312 on: March 27, 2011, 01:35:07 PM »
Wow! That's got to be one of the most original speeder build ups that I have ever seen!
Those two figs have a character all their own.

Offline darthdaddy

• Major
    • Customs for the Kid
« Reply #313 on: March 27, 2011, 01:40:13 PM »
Thanks guys ;D

I agree.  It reminds me of the "Droids" cartoon too.

Offline Mungo Baobab

• Customs Merchant
  • Marshal
« Reply #314 on: March 27, 2011, 02:50:21 PM »
Yes...I was thinking a Droids cartoon and Road Warrior mash up.