Author Topic: Vintage 2010 BAT-AT!  (Read 33175 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Vintage 2010 BAT-AT!
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2010, 05:59:52 PM »
I think August 1st is the street date on this.

I don't think Hasbro has as much of a slam dunk with this vehicle as they did with the MF, but to make this thing as movie accurate as we would like would probably mean only one figure would fit in the head or the body would be so big that it wouldn't be in a price range any kid could have. I think we have to compare it with what we have already and ask ourselves is it an improvement? I don't think any of us can objectively say it isn't an improvement on the old mold.  I for one am still excited to get my hands on it.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2010, 06:07:51 PM »
I figure you guys might enjoy this size comparison shot that someone rigged up over at Jedi Temple Archives. It should be close to correct and a quarter was used in the BATAT shot to scale the overlay of the smaller walker image.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2010, 08:50:19 PM »
Here is a shot of the box front that I found at jedidefender.com

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 11:54:06 PM »
ok... the more I see it the more I like it...

seeing that overlay image... you know what would be a great custom of the ne B-AT-AT... and endor paint job... and a scratch built landing platform to go with it's new size.... 

I think... that instead of building a from scratch at-at that a landing platform with a shuttle and everything will be the project I chose to do.  I also think it'd be cool to mock it up as a functional table....

Offline Psyclone

• Commander
  • "A comMAHND post for the EMpiah!"
    • Psyclone Design
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2010, 11:16:58 AM »
I think August 1st is the street date on this.

I don't think Hasbro has as much of a slam dunk with this vehicle as they did with the MF, but to make this thing as movie accurate as we would like would probably mean only one figure would fit in the head or the body would be so big that it wouldn't be in a price range any kid could have. I think we have to compare it with what we have already and ask ourselves is it an improvement? I don't think any of us can objectively say it isn't an improvement on the old mold.  I for one am still excited to get my hands on it.

I think they did a good job.  Of course I wish it was more accurate but I understand their reasoning being that this is a toy.  Like I said, I will probably rework the interior a bit.  I can see how troop seating wouldn't be that exciting for kids but I would have liked to have seen it.  Something like in this photo:

http://www.dorlingkindersley-uk.co.uk/static/html/features/starwars/technology_gallery/images/AT-AT%20Cutaway.jpg

Oh, and if you're a walker fan you'll love this 3D walker page:

http://www.scifi3d.com/wip_details.asp?intGenreID=10&intCatID=8&key=85

I guess you can't please everyone so it looks like a decent compromise. The walkers were a huge attraction for me when I saw ESB, as they were with most people.  I'm just glad they gave it an upgrade.  On a side note, and a little bit of a rant, when I saw AOTC and the clone army landing their walkers and troops I always wished Lucas would have gone back and created a scene like that in ESB for the invasion of Hoth.  I know it doesn't drive the story that much but since he has the capability with the special effects and he did it for AOTC it seems fitting that they would want to show how massive the Empire still is and how they want these rebels wiped out for what they did to the Death Star.  It wouldn't even add too much extra time to it spliced into the attack scene, say, right after Leia's pilot briefing.  It can show the Imperials landing on the other side of that fog that the rebel troops are looking at right after that scene.  Then, there's sooo much room for additional CGI troops, speeders and other Imp warcraft when they first spot the walkers.  It's a blank slate. Also, showing Imperial infantry advancing on foot would help give meaning to when you see the rebels armed with only rifles firing from the trenches.  What exactly are they firing at?  The walkers?  Also, when the AT-AT is downed and the rebel foot soldiers cheer and run out of the trenches what are they running towards?  Walkers? 

Here is a cut scene from Force Commander.  Just imagine a bunch of these scenes but during the Hoth invasion instead...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YXXQ3I2fxQ&feature=related

Anyway, end of rant.  As you can see I just love walkers and I'm glad they upgraded this bad boy.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2010, 12:46:09 PM »
I'm glad they upgraded it, it's a step in the right direction... I just believe that they could have taken out just a couple of the play features that seem pointless (like the ejecting speeder bike) and made it more accurate... 
for instance, they could have removed some of the light/sound mechanics in the body and made more crew space.
scrapping the speeder ejection mechanics for a manual slide out compartment could have been reconfigured to hold TWO speeders side by side for more accuracy

I'll bet in a year or so they'll go back and recreate an entirely new body for this and re-release it... knowing hasbro they don't do anything in one monumental leap and instead make gradual andjustments untill they might get it right, then they take a step backwards....

FOR INSTANCE... why are they still using the POTF mold of the speeder bike with the crappy verticly oriented handle bars?!  Figs have swivel wrists now, there is no reason for the handlebars to be oriented that way, give us the more accurate AOTC speeder bike that was released with the correct style handle bars!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2010, 12:57:55 PM »
Wow, I loved looking at all those links Psyclone!

Offline narceron

• Sirian Naval Commander
  • Brigadier
    • Narceron.com(defunct)
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2010, 12:58:43 PM »
I"m sold, I'll take two, more if I find them for 40 bucks or so, :)

Offline Psyclone

• Commander
  • "A comMAHND post for the EMpiah!"
    • Psyclone Design
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2010, 01:09:57 PM »
I'm glad they upgraded it, it's a step in the right direction... I just believe that they could have taken out just a couple of the play features that seem pointless (like the ejecting speeder bike) and made it more accurate... 
for instance, they could have removed some of the light/sound mechanics in the body and made more crew space.
scrapping the speeder ejection mechanics for a manual slide out compartment could have been reconfigured to hold TWO speeders side by side for more accuracy

I agree.  I may have been the oddball when I was a kid but I didn't like the electronic features (grinding noise at the time) and I still don't.  In fact, when it came to the original TIE Fighter I didn't like the way the cockpit was shaped due to the battery housing.  The X-Wing batteries were better hidden.  I never used that lame sound effect and the toy suffered in looks I think. And, I was a kid, not an "adult collector" thinking that way.

FOR INSTANCE... why are they still using the POTF mold of the speeder bike with the crappy verticly oriented handle bars?!  Figs have swivel wrists now, there is no reason for the handlebars to be oriented that way, give us the more accurate AOTC speeder bike that was released with the correct style handle bars!

I agree again.  The speederbike feature takes up a lot of room for what it is.  I didn't mind the feature on the Turbo Tank but an AT-AT? A speeder bike upgrade would be nice or even just release it with new handles if they want to keep the costs down.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2010, 03:08:31 PM »
Those links were truly great, Psyclone! I knew that Tamer would love em.
  I also agree that the whole speeder bike feature was not necessary and I would have went with a more spacious crew/cargo compartment. They could have just added some slots to the floor for the speeder bike landing gear to clip into like in the gunship's interior.

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2010, 03:35:53 PM »

I believe Hasbro has stated in a Q&A session the AOTC speeder bike mold has been lost.  Heck, I'd be happy if they just re-did the dang handle bars.  They annoy me to no end.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2010, 10:56:49 PM »

I believe Hasbro has stated in a Q&A session the AOTC speeder bike mold has been lost.  Heck, I'd be happy if they just re-did the dang handle bars.  They annoy me to no end.

That's a lame excuse.  The handlebars were the only thing that needed changing.  And it would be NOTHING to mold a brand new accurate handlebar sculpt that could attach to the OLD potf molds....  LAME!

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2010, 10:16:48 AM »
Anybody see the segment on the Today Show about upcoming toys for the year?  They showed the AT-AT and I thought it was the first time I've gotten a good sense of its scale.  Looked pretty awesome.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2010, 11:27:36 AM »
I have been looking online for a video of this but cant find one.

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2010, 11:30:57 AM »
I have been looking online for a video of this but cant find one.

Today Show link:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/35725197#35725197

The six minute mark is about where it gets interesting for the AT-AT fans.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 11:34:33 AM by B.R. Steel »