Author Topic: Jkno's Imperial Command Center  (Read 211218 times)

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
Re: Jkno's Imperial Command Center
« Reply #960 on: December 28, 2014, 05:31:39 AM »
Closer to a prop or studio scale than to a simple figure - Sideshow 1:6 Probe Droid in the snow:

Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #961 on: July 13, 2015, 11:33:26 PM »
A great book that I wanted but passed on it for some time waiting for a good deal. Star Wars The Blueprints is finally here. It arrived, 3 days by DHL from US to Romania, the fastest shipping ever!!
Holy moly, it is HUGE! Star Wars Chronicles is very close in size, but this is even wider. Superb book indeed!

My Star Wars art book collection so far, 2 more to come and I'm done. I have other SW books and comics but these are the art books and visual dictionaries:

An old book that I recently re-acquired. I already have it, but mine has a bad shape cover (a guy signing as B. Jones "took care" of it) - I got it like this many years ago for free from a friend together with many items, he bought it on a garage sale for $1.

Anyway decided I need to upgrade it with a brand new book (the old one will be donated) so here it is, a highly recommended book, not just for the cool Star Wars stories by Kevin J. Anderson, but also for the fantastic artwork by talented artists like Ralph McQuarrie, Joe Johnston, Nilo Rodis Jamero and Mike Pangrazio.

I first intended to go for the hardcover version, but knowing the ultimate Ralph McQuarrie book is due to be published in 2016, I finally decided to save the extra money for that, and go for the softcover in this case (the old one was also softcover).

The last Star Wars art book for now: Star Wars Storyboards - Original Trilogy. A beautiful big hardcover book (350 pages), with superb concept drawings of the 3 classic movies, presented in various styles depending on the talented artist involved in drawing them.

I love some of the early concept drawings, where Lucas didn't have the full story yet, and we have Luke as a girl, Bespin cloud city as Alderaan, and 3 Star Destroyers following the Rebel Blockade Runner, and even one Imperial ship being destroyed in that battle etc. A must have book for any SW fan.

My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #962 on: July 13, 2015, 11:34:21 PM »
A necessary upgrade on my old Marmit AT-AT Driver figure - thanks to a friend who helped me with better hoses - not 100% perfect, but much better than original Marmit hoses:

My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #963 on: July 13, 2015, 11:36:14 PM »
My HT pair of Stormies joined my single HT Stormtrooper that arrived some time ago. They are in perfect shape! Some shots of the pair and some outdoor shots of the tall one with the rifle:

Mouse Droids comparison:

My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #964 on: July 18, 2015, 07:49:19 AM »
So your two pack was fine, but the single version was off? I thought Hot Toys was the creme de la creme, but maybe not!

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #965 on: July 18, 2015, 09:02:46 AM »
Yeah. HT is not perfect. They have fantastic figures but also issues. Especially with rubber figures. But once you get a fine figure you will realize their potential. The Stormies might not be 100% accurate (Marmit still has an overall better helmet) but are very sharp, quite sturdy bodies, and in the end are superior to both Marmit and SSC. Something pretty creepy to read about rubber deterioration on Hot Toys figures: http://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/general-collectibles-action-figures/82683-hot-toys-rubber-deterioration.html

Hot Toys vs Marmit vs Sideshow Stormtroper 1:6 figure review

On another board I've been asked about my opinion regarding Hot Toys Stormtrooper 1:6 figure compared to Marmit and SSC versions.

I had my own issues with the HT TK regarding glued parts, but they were easy fix, and thus this will not affect my judgement. HT is a big improvement over the SSC, this can also be seen if you read carefully on the box, regarding who was involved in its development, and on HT FB page (some older posts and replies). Anyway HT has a better body, better shiny ABS armor (no need for chest plate futzing) and a better helmet compared to SSC. While the HT Stormie helmet is not totally accurate (not meaning asymmetry, which is not necessary at this size) is much better shaped than SSC.

SSC lid has the big jaw, enormous mic tips, and when putting the helmet on body, the trooper has no neck anymore. Not to mention the freaking ugly tiny SSC codpiece - I'm even thinking maybe to re-purpose my SSC Stormie and transform it into a female TK some day in the future... On the SSC plus side I'd add the E-11 which is better than any 1:6 blaster and the thermal detonator clips (better and more solid steel than on HT).

The Marmit still has a better overall helmet sculpt, but HT is very close. On the armor part the Marmit is great, but has its own issues already addressed (accurate but softer general sculpt, comes as a kit that needs assembly, legs/feet armor connected, thermal detonator not so good, soft PVC armor instead of hard ABS like SSC and HT, Marmit body is not that good compared to HT, but still not as floppy as SSC, and Marmit E-11 is weak in design for today's standards). And the fact that HT comes already assembled, and not as a kit, neither you need to futz the armor, and with good body that fits the armor, adds up to the HT.

So is HT overall better than Marmit and SSC? Yes. Is it perfect? No. Is it the best 1:6 Stormtrooper? In some parts it indubitably is, in some still needs improvement. Do I like it with all its issues? I love it and and I own 3 of them already.

PS. TK = Stormtrooper

-----------------------

1:6 E-11 blaster comparison

I took a few pictures of the two 1:6 Stormtrooper E-11 blasters from Hot Toys and Sideshow and made a comparison. The blaster on top is HT and the one below is SSC. They are very similar in appearance, I have a hunch HT copied it from SSC, or back then when they helped SSC with their Stormtrooper figure, they had their hands involved in making this as well.

The difference lays in some details like scope, scope rail, t-tracks, magazine, magazine ejector port, folding stock back/shoulder plate, and weathering. The SSC scope is clearly sculpted after an M38/M40 Sherman tank scope with rounded foot, as for the HT seems it is made after an M19 - but this way it should have been a bit bulkier, shorter, and with different sculpted feet. The scope rail on HT is too high. Way too high. The HT has an issue on the right side of the blaster (the opposite part of the magazine), they are not glued where they should be and thus showing the holes in the barrel.

The ejector port is better shaped on SSC blaster and also better weathered (I painted the HT with silver but will go more metal grayish in the future). The SSC blaster I have here doesn't have the best ejector port weathering either though - some others I own are better. The magazine is longer on the SSC and shorter on HT, both are accurate so no problem. Magazine cylinders are very similar, so are the Hengstler counters. Both blasters have the same way of extending the folding stock - we've never seen this in movies, but cool to have nevertheless, since it is a feature the original Sterling Mk4 L2A3 has. The SSC folding stock back plate has better detailing with the hole on each side just like a real Sterling.

In the end I think the SSC E-11 is better (10), but HT is pretty good too (9). Both are much better than Marmit (6) or Medi (7) Stormtrooper blasters, that's why all my figures have now SSC E-11 blasters including my Medis and Marmits. The last thing I'll mention is that for the SSC Snowtrooper the E-11 shouldn't come with cylinders or Hengstler counter, it should be a bare blaster something like the Master Replicas E-11 version.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 02:59:33 AM by jkno »
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #966 on: July 18, 2015, 09:15:24 AM »
Here are both versions of the Imperial Code Cylinders (original Radiation Dosimeters) used in Star Wars by the Imperial officers. These are exactly like the screen used ones, not replicas made out of a pen or chalk holder. The blue cap version used by Grand Moff Tarkin, Cmdr. Praji and other officers, and the non-blue cap (the rarest one) used by Chief Bast and General Tagge. Finally I have 2 of each type - in fact I have 3 blue caps (maybe I'll sell my extra some day) and 2 others.

In the 1960’s a company by the name of RA Stephen & Company Ltd, England, UK, made Radiation Dosimeters, that would end up being the props used in Star Wars for the Imperial Officers. The ones used in Star Wars are called direct reading pocket ionization dosimeters. They were typically the size and shape of a fountain pin at that time.

Each dosimeter contains a small ionization chamber (approximately two milliliters). Inside each chamber is a central wire anode. Attached to the anode is a metal coated quartz fiber. These units can be positively charged so that the quartz fiber is attracted to the anode. When the unit encounters radiation, ionization occurs inside the chamber producing electrons.

These electrons are attracted to a positively charged anode, which reduces the net positive charge, allowing the quartz fiber to return to it’s original position. This movement can be calculated and is directly proportional to the amount of ionization (radiation).

My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #967 on: July 19, 2015, 05:00:14 AM »
Love those radiation dosimeters. Love the history you showcase here.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #968 on: July 19, 2015, 11:58:51 PM »
The cylinders used in SW show once more the creativity of the ILM artists

I finally got an original and mint full metal MGC (Model Gun Corporation - Japan) Stormtrooper blaster, and it is one of the best conversions I've seen. These are the E-11 blasters used by Stormtroopers in ROTJ (together with Pugman resin versions). True prop collectors know how rare these things are, especially good conversions (as a friend said these are rare as hen's teeth) - and this had a great voyage from US to me. It still misses a small greeblie, but I will get that separately and add it myself.

The Stormtrooper blaster comes with:

• Aluminum scope rail
• Accurate Weaver Scope Ring
• Aluminum Scope with separate glass lens (from Boba Debt's last run)
• Aluminum Barrel Rails
• Accurate Mr. Sparkle Hammer Greeblies
• Real RO72 Sight
• Lightly weathered

And it also came with the original MGC cardboard box from the 80's, which is insanely cool. Now to make some plaques and a cool metal stand.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2015, 12:03:12 AM by jkno »
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #969 on: July 20, 2015, 05:16:29 AM »
Gorgeous Blaster Serg.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #970 on: July 20, 2015, 05:50:54 AM »
Thanks. Wanted one of these ROTJ Stormtrooper blasters for such a long time and took me a full year of active research to get this. I've only seen a handful MGC's for sale in years, and only a couple converted (and to be honest not as good as this). Converting a MGC into a true ROTJ Stomtrooper blaster is quite hard and once properly transformed you'll never make it back into an original MGC - some guys who converted theirs made them just partially, and thus less accurate.

Passed on a very cool resin one made by CfO because i knew I wouldn't been satisfied with just that. Then someone in US had this for sale. Never thought I'd be able to get it in EU, but I managed to do it and all legal, especially since MGC's are Canadian C1 Sterling replicas and not the real deal. But I needed exactly a MGC since Lucas used MGC's in ROTJ, not real C1.

The conversion is simply fantastic and I was able to get a nice "door catch" greeblie for it, the piece I was missing. No one knows what the real "door catch greeblie" is so for now a replica is fine. All other parts are uber accurate, this being one of the best conversions I've seen.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2015, 04:35:31 AM by jkno »
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #971 on: August 28, 2015, 05:43:57 AM »
One of my 3 exceptions to the Original Trilogy Imperials only rule of collecting, together with the Gentle Giant Leia statue and Kotobukiya Droids statue:

Original Graflex Flashgun
Genuine Exactra 20 bubbles
Roy t-tracks & D-ring assembly
Custom stand & metal plaque

My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #972 on: August 30, 2015, 08:04:24 AM »
And a video of this Graflex Luke lightsaber:

My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #973 on: August 30, 2015, 08:05:32 AM »
looks nice to me!

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #974 on: August 30, 2015, 08:25:29 AM »
Thanks. I'm not a lightsaber collector, but had to have one of the most iconic props in my collection nevertheless, and nothing beats a real Graflex conversion. I only hope my Imperial collectibles won't go on strike now  :D
My collection
Trade Feedback