Author Topic: RunDown Customs  (Read 56307 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Custom Dept Customs!
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2010, 04:36:08 PM »
Is it just me or is that Snow Ops Rex helmet just stunning?
This is the fellow Clint has been telling us about. I found his customs in an email he sent me Dec. 7th! Welcome to the Yards guy!

I am loving that Arctic Rex. Well all of em. I look forward to seeing more additions to this thread!

Offline 110clones

• IT'S A TRAP!!!
  • Commodore
  • IT'S A TRAP!!!
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2010, 06:59:36 PM »
i agree its stunning

Offline UnitedStatesDemocrat

• Mand'alor
  • Fleet Admiral
  • USD, Democrat (D)
    • USD on Flickr
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2010, 10:46:58 AM »
He's finally here, lol!  Great customs so far!
Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic of the United States of America
Outer Rim Territories, Mandalore Sector, Mandalore System, Mandalore

Offline RunDown

• Colonel
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2010, 12:07:15 PM »
Hi again everyone and thanks for all the kudos!  Talk about motivation!
I have tried to post a pic with this response, and am working on a tutorial on the Arctic Rex.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2010, 12:30:09 PM »
Well, there you are, buddy. Welcome to the Shipyards!

Yes, I am looking forward to that tutorial. I see that you have had alot of customs for sale on ebay lately. What are you working on, this week? Oh, if you didn't notice, I believe that Tamer put your arctic Rex on the front page on Sunday.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2010, 02:38:08 PM »
words cannot describe how in awe I am over that figure.

the helmet is done superbly, I am on the edge of my seat waiting for that tutorial!  I realy want to know what material you used for the flared out material on the helmet.

Offline jedimaster351

• Ensign
  • Do you want a piece of me?!?
    • Star Wars the Clone Wars
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2010, 02:44:22 PM »
what parts did he use for the rex figure? 8)

the Sith are among us all.....

Offline RunDown

• Colonel
« Reply #22 on: January 12, 2010, 08:48:44 PM »
Hi back to all and again thanks for the warm welcome. 
Just to fill you all in about myself . . . I am a father of the three in his very late thirties, but hangin on to em. lol   
Time is precious.   
With that said, someone asked me what I am working on at the moment . . . .  .go out to wookiepedia and check out Commander Ganch and his pilot Squawk.     These two are the present focus, and I hope to show you soon.
I am also working on my fourth Jet to sell on ebay.  He is still hot so I am going with it lol
If you get into my ebay feedback, you can see some pics of others I have done this season , and if you go back far enough, there is last season as well.   
I would love to have a tutorial with pics and the whole nine yards, and promise that someday soon . . . .but wanted to break the Rex helmet down for you since everyone is so jacked about it, now you got me fired up about it again!!
Anyway I think I can give you a good description without pics and I am all for someone making a cast of that helmet and the Jet helmet.  (Clint?!?!?!?!)
Those earmuffs (for lack of a better term) are tricky!
So here we go:
Get yourself a Rex figure, and a Snowtrooper, of the OTC variety.   Or any of the other more recent versions with removable helmet.    (Strange side note:  I made three of these Arctic Rex's last year - however there was one thing about the first one that set it apart from the rest.  I found there are two different versions of that snowtrooper, one has a more slender helmet, than the other more flared out version.  )  The slender helmet version is the one I have posted. 
ok, so numero uno,
1.)  Off with the heads!  Both of them.
2.)  Cut the ball joint of both off just about the 'collar' of the suit on both.   
3.) Attach Rex's head to the snowtroopers body with your favorite bonding agent.
4.)  Cut the 'raised' vision / breathing section out of REx's helmet.    Very carefully.   You should end up with basically just the " T " section of the helmet.   
5.) Lay this on the snowtrooper helmet.
6.)  Use a sensitive marking pen or other such tool to lightly outline the T visor on the snowtrooper helmet.
7.)  Use an exacto to cut out the shape of the T  visor from the snowtrooper helmet.
8.) Remove what you have cut (and save it for another custom!!)
9.) Carefully glue the T visor into the helmet.   This takes a lot of practice.    (and there is probably a better way, I just haven't gotten back to it)
10.)  After allowing this to dry, take a very small drill bit or your exacto, and carefully make a hole on each side of the mouth section of the helmet.
11.)  Insert and glue small, short tubes, which are the coldweather 'snorkels'  seen in the 'toon.
12.)  Thats pretty much it.  All there is left to do is paint it up.     Let me know if this makes sense . . . . . . . .

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #23 on: January 12, 2010, 08:56:05 PM »
if I understand you correctly, all you did was transplant the faceplate/visor of a rex figure (or realy could be any clone trooper helmet right?) onto the faceplate of a snowtrooper helmet? 
 BRILIANT!  basically it's exactly what clint does with his helmet bashes.  I'd love to see a couple cast resin duplicates of that helmet!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 09:08:54 PM »
Oh yeah, I understood that as well. I had started to do one using the casting of the bigger snowtrooper helmet as a base with the face mask of a casted aotc clone for this but it has been sitting on the backburner for a while.

So you say that the very first release of the removable snowtrooper helmet was more narrow in the lower face covering part?
I would love to cast one of these and like the one on the first page of this thread, the most.

I may have to try to cobble one together using your instructions and see what happens.

How long have you been selling customs on ebay?

Offline clones are awesome

• Commander
  • fear! fear attracts the fearful fear is my aly.
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 10:56:20 PM »
What is your eBay stores name custom dept? :-\

Offline RunDown

• Colonel
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2010, 06:51:19 AM »
Hey Guys-
Clint, please keep me posted on how the cast goes.   And how about Jet, would you mind trying to cast that helmet as well?   I would be willing to send you anything that may help, would just really like to get a couple to work with, if it works out.
I have been on ebay for three years.    Not long after I started selling, I discovered the custom world and decided it was something I wanted to do.   Like many of you, from there, I became hooked!   I love it!
oh and my name is ric.sea.jedi  on ebay.  I had a store for awhile called the Ugnaughts House, but it didn't seem worth the price to me.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2010, 07:07:35 AM »
Yes, the helmet for Rex at the top of this page really looks spot-on. What were your additions to the jet helmet, again. how did you make them?

Ugnaughts House, I like that.

Offline RunDown

• Colonel
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2010, 07:20:05 AM »
Getting back to your question about the snowtroopers helmets . . . I don't know which snowtrooper had the more narrow helmet, I was never able to find another despite alot of searching on ebay, all others have the more flared out helmet that just doesn't 'fit' as well.
The Jet helmet has small plastic side pieces I cut from some pieces here at work.  I am a staff member at a plastics molding plant, and I used some pieces I picked up here.   The hard part is getting the plastic to conform to the shape of the helmet and allow it to be glued to the curve of the helmet.  The plastic wants to stay straight, if that makes sense.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2010, 07:30:29 AM »
It does. Is there any way that you can heat the plastic pieces that you cut allowing them to flex to your desired position?
You say that you have been doing customs for three years. What was the first figure that you did and how many do you think you have done since then? Your story sounds like mine in that, you started customizing to sell them on ebay and then you fell in love with it.