Last night, I got a small amount of time to speak with Jeff Labovitz from Hasbro's Star Wars Design Team. I was armed with a ton of great questions pulled from the board and our Facebook page, but there were far too many questions to ask in the short time I had Jeff's ear so I picked some of the more pressing questions.
Here are the results (Jeff's replies are not verbatim as I had to jot down quick notes as he spoke, but I made sure to hit all of the points he made):
1) Is there any talk yet about when the Vintage Line Might make it's return?That is not something we are planning for as of right now.
2) After the recent Amazon Exclusive B.A.D. Set is it safe to assume that the B.A.D. experience will be reserved exclusively for Disney Parks and related kiosks?Nothing is planned right now for BAD's return, but it isn't something I would rule out for the future.
3) Will the "Rebels" toy line be animated or realistic?The "Rebels" toyline will be somewhat stylized in the same design as the animation but will be closer to a "realistic" style than "Clone Wars" style.
4) Since you said 6 inch is best of the best will that only be a line of familiar characters or will you be making 6" for rebels and episode seven characters also?This is something that we haven't decided on yet. There is always the possibility, but nothing is in the planning stages.
5) Any word on any new three and three quarter ships?Not as of yet.
6) I see that you are releasing the obscure Jedi Geonosian packs over at TRU. Can you please release some similar Battle Packs that feature more desired obscure characters from the Cantina bar and Jabba's that have never been released as a figure? We are working on sets like that for possible exclusives down the line, but they are not anything we are ready to talk about until such time that potential exclusive partners have been found.
7) Any chance we are going to see a continuation of the mini-rig line?No clear plans at this point, it would potentially depend on future animation or other entertainment media developments.
8 ) What is coming for the Star Wars six inch waves past wave 3 and can we expect any eu figures for this or the 3.75 inch lines in the direct future?Look for info at Toy Fair next year for developments past Wave 3. No plans for any EU figures in the 6" line and none in 3 3/4" besides Mara Jade for now.
9) Death Star tower turrets! Why hasn't Hasbro made something like this? It could be hollow with a door that opens with a chair or something for an officer to man the cannon.That is a great idea! Sadly, there are no plans for any kind of playsets at this time. There is the possibility of small playsets in the future if new entertainment calls for it.
10) There are some very high/in demand figures that could be repacked into the Black Series, but we aren't seeing them. If you're not going to put them back out at full blown retail, how about some Hasbro Toyshop Exclusive BLACK SERIES repack figures selecting some of the hottest figures that people are still wanting more of? You know, Gamorrean Guards, Imperial Royal Guards, Bastila Shan, Galen Marek, vintage Ahsoka Tano, Old Republic Trooper, Ponda Baba, TFU Shaak Ti, Jacen & Jaina Solo, K'kruhk, etc...?This is something that is possible, but it is not something that we have plans for or that we can talk about right now.
11) Why don't we see OT love in the deluxe lineups? There are so many cool smaller mini-rigs from the OT that are getting looked over. Just in ANH there are a ton of little ships parked around the buildings - why is it that none of these are ever made? We'd love to buy these!There are not many high profile small vehicles in the OT for this price point, sorry.
12) Any possibility of the second shown Utai figure from the BAD days making his way into the line?This isn't an issue being talked about by anyone in the department right now, but it might happen someday.
13) When do you plan to be able to have Episode Seven sneak peek figures available?I can't talk about that yet, sorry.
14) May we suggest a couple of army builder Battle Packs? The packaging doesn't have to be TVC style, but the figures do.
Like the Emperors Royal Guard. Without the EU accessories is OK. Magnaguards. Preferably with those amazing cloaks. Could you make some of them black and white? Gammorean Guards. Nuf said!This is a great idea for exclusives if the right partners could be found.
Bonus (this is not a question that I asked, but was asked by the guy ahead of me):
Will the "Rebels" line be 5 POA or like the Black Series?Rebels will be 5 point-of-articulation like the current Saga Legends and Mission Series lines.
I hope everyone enjoyed seeing their questions answered by Hasbro!