Author Topic: Clonehead's Custom Figures reloaded  (Read 144205 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Clonehead's Custom Figures
« Reply #60 on: January 23, 2009, 10:10:34 PM »
And more pics.....

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #61 on: January 23, 2009, 10:13:03 PM »
And even more pics......

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #62 on: January 23, 2009, 10:16:34 PM »
Last 4........I had to break out that chain gun to pose him with. How did he turn out guys?

Tamer, I havent got the head height problem worked out with the aotc/atat fig yet but I did start on his paint apps tonight. I will work on him some more, tomorrow.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #63 on: January 25, 2009, 11:40:40 AM »
As promised, I have a slight pic update on the AOTC/ATAT driver fig.
 After alot of trial and error on the height and fit of the one resin cody neck nub, I ditched that one and trimmed the alternate resin airborne neck nub to a slightly lower profile and mounted it on the figure's body using the same mounting wire that was installed before. Using a bit of superglue, I filled in the recieving hole in the resin Commander Fai head a bit and now, it fits almost perfect. Now that the neck nub and mounted head sit a bit lower, the helmet sits at a more appropriate position when on the head but is a bit loose twards the back of the head. To correct this, I have built up the inner back of the helmet with a bit of superglue gel.
  I have started the figures paint application and have painted the cloth parts of his uniform with Floquil BRN DK earth color. This will serve as the base color for the same 3-color camo scheme that I used on the last figure. There are three straps on each of his boots which got this color as well as the soles. I have incorperated some of this color in the recessed areas of the helmet, also. The plan is to paint the rest of the figure's armored areas white with some thin black lines in the detail areas. The non-recessed areas of the helmet will also get white with black detail lines at the seams. I believe that I will leave the recessed areas of the helmet straight brown without camo.

Tamer, are you around to see this?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2009, 08:51:10 AM »
I've got another painting update on our aotc driver fig. Here, I have started working with the white paint to cover the camo that I did so long ago. Also, I have givin the helmet, head, and neck nub an inital coat of white. And here, you can see the helmet mounted over his head for the first time. I have added some brown elements to the recessed areas of the helmet. I am still undicided if the hollows of his cheeks should stay brown or not. What do you guys think?
  In the last shot, I have painted his visor light blue and have used black to roughly darken the detail areas which I will thin and straighten with white paint as I touch it up. This is a back and forth process untill I get those detail lines the way that I like them. I have also used the black to give the resin head eyes, eyebrows, hair, mouth and face detail which will be touched up when I mix and apply skin color. Is there any other direction you guys think that I should take with this guy?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #65 on: January 27, 2009, 07:46:11 AM »
Yes, I always had you in mind when I started this one, buddy. Why, it would easily break your heart to be tempted by a custom using your favorite subject matter and not end up getting it, wouldn't it. Perhaps we can work out a trade when I'm done.

Now for some pics...........
In these first four shots, you can see that I have been working on the daunting task of detail painting where I have been cleaning up the areas where I intend to leave those thin detail lines where the seams are in the armor and helmet. I still need to repaint the blue visor but the helmet is cleaning up nicely.
  In this last shot, I have posed his air hose where it shall be mounted to be an either permanant or removable fixture, later on.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #66 on: January 27, 2009, 08:01:32 AM »
In this shot of the back, it almost appears that the helmet rides too high, again. I may have to risk carving out that cavity a bit more.I should probably leave well enough alone there. I'm sure that with the hoses in place, it won't be noticable. Anyway, judging from how the hoses meet their connections on the helmet, the height is just right.  Now, in the next two shots, you can see that I have painted his pilot's chest to leg thingymabob darker grey and have begun to incorperate the grey part of his camo. I had thought of trying to accent the grey camo with white to see how it looked instead of the black like last time. I may try a little area with the white to see how it looks and if we don't like it, I will correct and go with the black.
     Now Tamer, you really don't want this dusty old clone, do you?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2009, 11:37:43 AM »
Got some more painting done on this dude.
  In the first 3 shots, you see that I have finished the grey part of his camo. I tried accenting this camo with white as descussed but didn't like it so, I covered up the white and started in with the black accents. Some touchups will be required after the black is done with the other two colors.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2009, 12:20:12 PM »
Looking good. Looking very good. I am loving that blue vizor. I  can't wait to see how this turns out.
Waiting to see it finished won't be too much of a problem as I seemed to have shifted gears on this project ever since your sidearm request, yesterday. First, needing a break from the never ending camo application to this fig, I went to fab up a holster for the medium sized blaster that alot of clones come with. After coming up with a suitable mock up, I decided that the medium blaster was too big for this guy to wear as a sidearm as it hung down to his knees. I had remembered that Customcloner John had sent me some castings of a cut off clone commander pistol holster and I raced to the parts bin in the basement to see what I could find.  While digging around, I came up with John's castings of the holster, some small ammo and utility pouch castings of his, "I need to get some more of these from John" and pieces of a clones stock belt that I had butchered when working on the purple RC figure. Also, I found a few stock cloneheads and trying different heads for a better fit, I decided to ditch the resin Fai head and replace it with this stock head that may have came from the GM body that I sent to you. You see, I still wasn't satisfied with how the Fai head sit on the body or fit in the helmet and this one was perfict for the mounted nub and fit in the helmet alot nicer.
  Making that decision dropped some weight off the burdon of the project as I no longer had to paint the head or worry about how it fit in the helmet.
  I went ahead and mixed a close matching skin tone and painted up the neck and then worked a little on the parts for his utility belt. The pistol holster got thinned out on the backside so that it would sit closer to the body and I had to cut out a notch for the pistols handle to hang out of. I will use a stock pistol when I equip this holster. The little resin ammo pouch also got thinned from the backside and scribed so that I could split it inbetween the pouches and glue it to conform to the radius of the waist. That stock clone belt supplied a small box with buttons and the rear mounted gas mask cylindar or whatever it is. Both of these were thinned out in the back and the cylindar got a notch cut in the back so that It would clear the vertical stock piece that goes down the figures back so that it would fit closer to the body.
First shot shows the fig with his new head and all of the equipment parts, as I found them.
second shot shows the freshly painted neck nub and some of the now trimmed parts.
third shot shows how the helmet fits on the new head.
forth shot shows how the color match inbetween the painted neck nub and the stock head looks.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2009, 12:29:35 PM »
This morning, my goal was to finish this daunting camo scheme and get his belt made.
In the first shot, the camo is done for the most part. I did alot of this with uncorrected vision as my nearsightedness allows me to focus on objects closer to my eyes than a person with 20-20 vision.
 In the second shot, I cut some strips of typing paper and superglued them at his waist to terminate where they hit the grey plastic vertical strip front and back.
third and fourth shots, I have glued the pouches, box, cylindar, and holster in place. I glued a small vertical strip of typing paper onto his leg to be exposed just inbetween the holster and the belt. i wanted to mount the holster slightly lower than the bottom of the belt so that the movement of the leg wouldnt be hindered and so that the holster wouldnt hit the belt as the leg moved.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2009, 12:36:53 PM »
These shots of the belt equipment seem a bit fuzzy. I will take some more after these pieces are painted.
 I decided to make the belt and equipment white to kind of balance out with the rest of the figure's white parts.
      Tamer, this guy has equiped himself for a bit of a walkabout, it seems. Perhaps there were some zirc fittings on the outside of his walker that he had to hit with the grease gun or something.

As you can see, my to-do list on this figure is rapidly shrinking. Aside from painting the belt accessories and some clean-up detail painting, all that remains is to remount the airhoses to the helmet. That will still be a permanant or temporary fixture, we will see how it goes.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2009, 08:16:30 PM »
Well, I got the belt, holster, and accessories painted white and I touched up the blue on the visor.  I was wanting to give some black details to the accessories on his belt but it's looking pretty good now and I'm not sure if I should. What say you, Shawn?
  I took a couple of shots front and back so you could see the belt and accessories with their new white coat.
I also took a comparrison shot with a factory stock saga ATAT driver like this one used to be. And then, I took a shot of him posed next to the AOTC/Veers clone. The camo scheme on the new one uses the same colors but is a little different than the one on the AOTC/Veers clone and although it was a bigger chore to apply, I do like it better.

For sure, I still got some touchup paint and the mounting of the hoses left......In these shots, the hoses are tucked under the back of his helmet.
   Tamer, this new one is starting to pull on my heartstrings now.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #72 on: January 29, 2009, 10:10:43 AM »
Well, I got the last of the touchup painting done and now it's time to make the airhoses connectable.
  Using my trusty pin-vise, I drilled holes into the ends of the airhoses and then, into the cylinders on the back of the hlemet. After that, I superglued some lengths of fine wire into the holes in the hoses. After some touchup painting to the wires after they were trimmed shorter, Its time to see how they look when connected to the helmet. If I wanted the hoses to be connected perminantly, I would glue the wires into their receiving holes in the cylinders but as Tamer would like an easier time removing the helmet and posing the fig with the helmet off, I left them removable.
  The last shot shows a front view of the hoses connected for the first time.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2009, 10:14:10 AM »
 3 more shots of how the hose mounts look and then a sunlight shot. It's a wrap folks!! Now it's final reveal time.....

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2009, 10:22:54 AM »
4 more sunlight shots. In the last one, I have posed the fig holding his helmet with the hoses attached, in the way he could be posed in Tamer's upcoming Hoth briefing dio.
   I can't believe that Shawn is going to take this one from me. It will be like losing a pet, or a favorite car. :'( You are breaking my heart, buddy although I can't think of a better home to send him to. I am pretty proud of this one, my friend. I can see some progression in the paint apps since the last one. It's like I had to practice to remember some of the techneques used. I may even be forced to touch up the camo on the last fig to match this one. Tamer, this extra helmet, do you want it painted the same way but with camo on the brown parts? You did mention camo.