Author Topic: the Mythosaur  (Read 17682 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
the Mythosaur
« on: December 09, 2009, 12:27:07 AM »
Acording to what I've read and researched the mythosaur was an enormous beast which roamed the planet Mandoa before it was faught to extinction by the first mandalorians...  Since it's defeat it became a symbol of Mandoa culture.  The massive skeletons of the extinct animals became the litteral backbone for entire cities... 

Unfourtunately we only have the skull emblem as a reference... and the single comic book "the city of bone"...

here are some visuals:

the ever familiar emblem

the city of bone...

now... I have a bone to pick with the comic book artist....

how do you go from the so familiar skull on boba's patch to that monstrosity!?  First off, where are the tell tale tusks?  second, why does it have spines on the forehead?  thirdly... the skeletal structure is WHACK.... 

Now, the concept of a city being constructed inside the skull of one of these beasts is amazing...  but I have some issues with that too.

I would understand the plasability of this if these animals were dead for a long time before mandalore was inhabited by the first mandalorians.... but think about it.  if "mandalore the first" killed them off then wouldn't their gigantic rotting carcases REAK!?  Would you realy want to build a city inside there?!

ok... and what about this:

The mythosaur Axe.  "made of overlapping mythosaur bone"...
ok... that's freaking cool as all heck...  but did the bone come from the giant skeletons?  or were these some smaller version of the animal?  is it just bone or maybe the teeth of the animal? (Im thinking like a Freemen Crysnife?)...

can anyone else use their tallents to sleuth up some more info on these mythical creatures?    BTW... I uploaded some sketches I've done of some concepts on my take of what the mythosaur would have looked like alive, and it's skeletal structure.... They are over in my artwork thread, but I can paste the images into this thread too if you'd like.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
Re: the Mythosaur
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2009, 12:30:16 AM »
btw... just a little greek/latin trivia...

Mythos means "tale, story, or myth"  in ancient Greek

saur is a derivitive of the Latin "sauros" which means Lizard

so....  "mythosaur"  can be translated into "Mythical Lizard" or "Legend Lizard" 

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2009, 04:48:13 AM »
Heck yes, put your scetches in that first post I would love to see what you think these would have looked like.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2009, 07:08:08 AM »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 07:10:08 AM »
Daggone, now that makes more sense to me too! Those are sweet Devin. Time for the front page I am thinking!

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2009, 08:07:54 AM »
This is one of those topics that will be hard to expand on, as you found there is very little as far as images or info on the  Mythosaur. I agree the City of Bone comic image is a joke, the sketches you have done are pretty good and as good as any concept tha has been done.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2009, 09:50:18 AM »
You oughta get a Boga and redesign that puppy, I might even know where you can find one momc. vadsab

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 11:56:27 AM »
you mean turn a boga into a mythosaur?  that'd be an interesting base to start with...  definately way undersized...

perhaps there is a smaller species of the mythosaur left on Mandoa that could be turned into a mount... that'd make a good basis for the conversion of the boga into one....

it'd definately be dificult to do.  I used to have a boga and I don't think it would lend itself well to any modifications. 

If I could find a decent rubber lizard that looked enough like a monitor lizard or Komodo Dragon I think that would be a better base to start with.   

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 02:33:38 PM »
Actually, taking a Boga and adding some tusks, maybe a new paint job, with the addition of some SW Miniatures, you could make a mini-dio of it all...

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2009, 06:20:16 PM »
the boga's feathery head just doesn't say mythosaur to me... not only that but it has a beak instead of the lizard like snout that I had pictured...

I actually came across a fully articulated cleaned and ready for display komodo dragon skeleton once online.... but I think it was somewhere around $2000...  lol

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2009, 08:27:51 PM »
It's called "Sculpey!"  C'mon, you wanted a challenge...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2009, 09:12:30 AM »
Yeah, I would think any Komodo type model would look good too.  I would love to see you try to make this.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2009, 01:10:55 AM »
just an interesting reference I found...

this is the profile of a komodo dragon's skull.

this structure would be consistant with most species of monitor lizard.  I believe this would be the structure similar to the mythosaur's skull, of course the only difference being two extremely large, modified upper jaw teeth/tusks that would exit the mouth near the back of the jaw....

perhaps hangarbay could use his photoshop skills to take a more accurate photograph of the komodo's skull and splice in some elephant tusks or something to make a good analogue?

some images of the giant mega varanid, megalania priscara, a suposed extinct giant goanna known from fossil evidence in austrailia:

again, the above is an interesting real world analogue to how I think the body structure of the giant mythosaur might have looked....
« Last Edit: December 13, 2009, 01:33:18 AM by spudafett »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2009, 12:20:52 PM »
Have you seen the Secret Saturday toys? They have a smaller size Komodo in them that would be a good start to this. It would be too small, but I bet could be customized easy.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2009, 05:19:38 PM »
actually I have seen the komodo figure for that line... honestly I've never picked it up because of how much of an animated style it is...  idk if I'd be able to make it more realistic or not.

and your right about the size, for a mythosaur it'd be way too small

(I've thought about picking it up and adding it to my "self" custom and painting it like my nile monitor lizard...)