Author Topic: Looking Back  (Read 9506 times)

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
Looking Back
« on: November 23, 2009, 03:46:31 PM »
When it comes to the older SW offerings, this series ranks as one of my favorites and is actually the only one I have kept the complete set of. I still have this displayed on the walls of my office at home. Seeing the retro SW silver logo and bands really brought me back to hunting figures as a kid, though back them it wasn't really hunting as I never recall being disappointed about not finding a figure. Like the POTJ line I liked the realistic style of the figs with the exception of the nasty scanning trooper, why release a buff fig in this line up? 

This coupled with the first series of VOTV figs just had me hooked, the VOTC is by far the best offerings Hasbro could have ever done for a vintage nut like myself. I love these. The figs aside as they were really irrelevant to me, but seeing those cardbacks back on the shelf nearly brought a tear to my eye ;)  I hated to see this end but alas, it did.

What were your thoughts on this spectacular line?

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
Re: Looking Back
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 04:58:09 PM »
I agree.  The VOTC line was, and still is, one of my highlights in modern collecting.  The cards were tops.  If I could have changed anything about them, the movie would have coincided with the character's first appearance.  With that in mind, there wouldn't have been any characters on ROTJ style cards and only a couple on ESB style cards.  Who knows, maybe I'll get a Stormtrooper on a regular Star Wars card yet, what with the return of the vintage look this year.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 07:37:09 PM »
I just got out all of my VOTC / VTSC figs the other day and put them in my display cabinets. Matter of fact Wayne, I just put it in that clamshell you sent me. I still think for the carded collector these are the best basic figs out there. I can't wait to see the new vintage line.

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 04:00:44 PM »
I loved this line... Even if I never got most of the last transition figures. The  idea was soo sound and perfect for the OT DVD RELEASE. All the rehashes'  had such improved paint apps on the figures  and the packaging was stellar... perfect mix of modern / "vintage" the characters had great backgrounds on the cards too. It was perfect for kids and collectors alike. Not to mention the amazing old days of $5 figures (I miss u 😢).

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2017, 08:34:02 AM »
Lets hope this trend continues on the new vintage figures. I love the vintage cards.

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2017, 09:58:23 PM »
I feel the same. I just don't thing anything else says SW like the vintage look. Some people have slammed it "vintage cheese" but if you look at every direction the packing has gone (how many times was it just a Character head of Vader or w/e?!?!) it just gets less an less appealing and away from the basic look and feeling.  Not to mention all the time and money Hasbro wastes on designing all of the art/packaging.

In my head the figure line should just say SW... character name... Then on the back you see All THE FIGURES AVAILABLE. Don't over think it.