Author Topic: Clonehead's dioramas  (Read 76971 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Clonehead's dioramas
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2008, 03:28:15 PM »
Many thanks! That was just the flash, Tamer.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2008, 05:05:03 PM »
Many thanks! That was just the flash, Tamer.

cool camera effect then. Daggone good looking vehicle. What I would give for a little bit of your skill with that small detail work.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2008, 04:47:28 PM »
Here is the little shadow box diorama that I made for the AOTC snow clone that I showed you in the customs thread. I used different layers of craft foam for the background and made the grooundwork from papermache and train diorama snow glued onto two pegged figure bases that were glued and wired together.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2008, 10:35:01 AM »
Man, that looks awesome! I am hoping to do a background like that on a larger scale when I get to building my Hoth dio. Cool deal.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2008, 04:04:28 PM »
Thanks, buddy! It's been a while since I've tried using an actual photo for a backdrop but I was thinking that something snowy blown up at Kinko's might work for the big dio that you are planning on.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 03:39:14 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2008, 04:19:12 PM »
not a bad idea at that Clint. I have to decide whether I want it to look like an outside scene or an inside Hoth type hangar scene. I probably ought to draw a rough plan kinda like you did with this one and then see if I can pull it off.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2008, 04:24:55 PM »
Arn't you going to make both?
  Are we talking about an Echo base snowspeeder hanger dio or a luke in the bacta tank with medical droids and friends dio?  You know that with the new BMF coming out theres no reason why you couldn't go for the gusto and make a Han and Chewie working on the Falcon dio!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008, 04:26:45 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2008, 11:58:23 AM »
Arn't you going to make both?
  Are we talking about an Echo base snowspeeder hanger dio or a luke in the bacta tank with medical droids and friends dio?  You know that with the new BMF coming out theres no reason why you couldn't go for the gusto and make a Han and Chewie working on the Falcon dio!

Clint, unless I can come kidnap guys like you and Wayne something like that is just beyond my artistic ability. My idea right now is simply an ATAT driver briefing on planet with Veers and a holo vader. I haven't thought about having it inside or outside. I would love to turn the smaller display areas under the large one into more Hoth scenes later down to road if this one doesnt make me loose all my SW friends and I am still sane. I do like your thinking though Clint!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2008, 03:54:58 PM »
Here is another oldie but a goodie.
  This dio started as two potf figure bases that I glued and wired together. I created a framework with coat hanger wire that was attached to these bases for the bottom and covered that with glued on thin craft foam. I then built up the ground work with chunks of styrefoam and covered it all with paper mache. next came paint and train diorama grass. The final step was to install some train diorama tree trunks and cover with shredded colored foam for foilage.  I built this dio to support this fig I made from a saga Elite Corps trooper body with a resin Airborn head painted to match and the helmet cover from an ATTE tamk gunner fig. He is also sporting a Paper mache cape and kama painted to match the elite corps camo and a scratchbuilt ghillie cape that was made from gauze soaked in white glue and formed with an old plastic Vader cape. It was then painted and covered with the same static grass and bush foilage that I used on the dio.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2008, 03:58:09 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2008, 07:37:58 PM »
I like the sniper feel to this.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2008, 02:41:15 PM »
here are some pics of the little dio that I made from an at-te gunner's base for that jungle camo clone commander. As before, I drilled a few holes for the sticks that make up the shrubs, coated the base with a watered down white glue mixture. And peppered it down with train diorama static grass. The foilage on the sticks were glued in place and then sprayed with the watered down glue mixture and sprinkled with the same static grass.  I made sure to leave the foot peg exposed to ease the mounting of the fig.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2008, 02:44:31 PM »
A couple more shots of the dio.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2008, 02:47:54 PM »
And finally, some shots of the little dio with the figure. I love taking pics like this outdoors. there is just something about the natural light. Also I like how the dio's foilage blends in with the tree foilage in my backyard.

Offline Darth C

• Brigadier
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2008, 06:30:13 PM »
Clint, does that dio grass fade at all?  Is it artifical?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2008, 06:42:50 PM »
Woodland scenics is the brand of train diorama grass and foilage that I use. It can be found in Hobby Lobby and other hobby stores. I can only imagine that in the sunlight that it would fade after awhile but indoors I wouldn't think so.  I have had some on display here at home for years that have never faded. I think that it is actually dyed and shredded foam of some type.