Author Topic: NFC's Star Wars customs (4/4 - random WTH)  (Read 31022 times)

Offline night force cynic

• Captain
NFC's Star Wars customs (4/4 - random WTH)
« on: October 17, 2009, 02:03:56 PM »
okay, I'll start my thread off with my newest custom, an animated style clone officer.

------------------------

phase 1 Nestene, The Clone Wars style

At the point, late in the first year of the War, when Commander Gree and Master Luminara Unduli are after Gunray, Nestene is just a lieutenant in the 41st Elite though he still was a pain in Gree's ass with an attitude.  Before he'd earned a name, CT 2642 had seen action with the scuba clone unit on Mon Calamari alongside Kit Fisto three months after Geonosis.  The wicked scarring under his eye and through his eyebrow was the result of his first mission with the 41st to the battle of Tibrin and a fight with a Ishi Tibrin military private that got too big for his britches.

if I ever find the CW Luminara figure in a store, this picture will truly be complete

« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 04:09:06 AM by night force cynic »

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
Re: NFC's Star Wars customs
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 02:07:16 PM »
hey that guy looks familiar.... ;)

I like this one, although the legacy scuba clone backpack is just huge on the animated figure!  I wonder if you could chop shop it and make it look a little smaller...

hey bud, the local wal-mart has the luminara figures, several of them.  You want me to grab one for ya and then send it to ya with all your cast resin parts and masters you sent me to do?

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 02:18:05 PM »
I did this clone 3 years ago, cuz I loved the design of the unnamed Hasbro-created 41st commander BUT it was made from the worst trooper mold since 1997, which was the 2005 Bacara figure.  And then Hasbro poured salt in the wound by repainting it. 

I wanted to see the figure with super articulation and decided I had to do it myself.  So I took the head, shoulder gear, and color scheme off the commander in the Clone Attack on Coruscant battle pack, a kama off a clone I can't remember, a body of a #41 clone and bashed it all together the match the blue paint color.  And then I couldn't JUST make a figure, I had to write a character for him. 

Commander Nestene (specimen 2642)

Nestene was created in the fourth batch of successful clone troopers on Kamino and trained by Dred Priest for most of his life, his dedication to the Mando'a legacy was questionable and his outlook on life is mostly grim.  He never necessarily followed his orders to the letter as his superiors would have preferred but he always unfailingly got the job done and his "unique approach" was often admirable and ballsy, there was never any doubts he'd have a command of his own someday.  2642 was deployed to Geonosis as part of the second wave of reinforcements and within a year was a back-up commander of 41st Elite, under the supreme leadership of Gree (CC 1004) the Grand Marshall of the "green" unit.   When half of the 41st was assigned to combat the droid attack on the Wookies at the end of the Clone War, Nestene  was given a stand-in command of the 41st until Gree returned from Kashyyyk.   When Order 66 was handed down by the Chancellor himself, Nestene's unit charged headlong down into the midlevels of the city-planet searching for stray Jedi.  Nobody heard from the unit again.

on duty at 500 Republica:

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2009, 02:19:53 PM »
nfc I realy like this one.  Although in the reference image his kama is ruddy brown... that's the only thing I see different.  You nailed the look flawlessley and the weathering is amazing! definately looks 100 times better with the weathering on there.

great job!

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2009, 02:22:01 PM »
hey that guy looks familiar.... ;)

I like this one, although the legacy scuba clone backpack is just huge on the animated figure!  I wonder if you could chop shop it and make it look a little smaller...
that's actually the backpack from the Clone Wars version of Kit Fisto.   The Legacy version is more compact and in scale with the animated troopers BUT this one has a round peg on it to fit the round hole I drilled into the Clone's back.  Whereas the Legacy scuba clone has this huge wonky notch in his back to fit this massive rectagular peg on the scuba pack.

this may not look better but it was a lot less of a headache.

hey bud, the local wal-mart has the luminara figures, several of them.  You want me to grab one for ya and then send it to ya with all your cast resin parts and masters you sent me to do?
hell yes, please do pick one up for me!

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2009, 02:29:07 PM »
nfc I realy like this one.  Although in the reference image his kama is ruddy brown... that's the only thing I see different. 
that's because Hasbro created the clone design to a Bacara repaint but at that point in 2005, they weren't necessarily doing individual art for they're own "fan fic" designs.  (Last year's Order 66 sets had computer generated art for the non-movie troops they stuffed into the sets but a few years  before that wasn't a reality so guys like the Baraca repaint were shafted and the toys were all we ever saw of them.)

so in 2006 when I made the original Nestene, I had a friend of mine photoshop recolor the Lucasfilm ref picture of Bacara and he missed the kama in the recoloring and I missed that it was never recolored.  At this point, yeah, it's distracting but back then I was just happy to see "my" clone looking like an "official" one as if he could have been in ROTS

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2009, 02:44:43 PM »
The added articulation that the new cantina denizens released the last few years has made the initial POTF2/POTJ offerings look pretty lame.  Especially in the case of Labria: death-marked fugitive exiled from his own world turned would-be “spy” in a city where its best not to be noticed on a planet nobody wants to live on. 

His look is memorable and his EU backstory is so bizarre that it some how fits the character… and I was ecstatic in 1998 when he finally got immortalized in plastic.  At that point it gave me hope that Hem Dazon (finally did) and Mosep might happen someday too (yeah, apparently no time soon).  Well back when I got wave 4 of TAC in summer '07 I was immediately impressed that both drunkard aliens were given the treatment they were; neither needed SUPER articulation but they both got enough to make them fun toys.  And I finally decided that more needed to be done to Kardue'sai'Malloc to make him a more well-rounded and versatile addition to my collection. 

I kept the look of the ’98 figure because it already worked nicely IMO.  I just gave him a functional holster and the option to ditch the ascot on really hot days plus upgraded his articulation to use him as the alcoholic at the bar AND the spy AND a fighter is if needed to be. 

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2009, 03:01:45 PM »
ace customs NFC  love the clones (but then i would..lol)
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2009, 03:21:49 PM »
clones are fun  :)   endless possible variations as so many great customizers here on the Yards have proven. 

there's more customs just have to dig up all the pictures. 

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2009, 03:55:00 PM »
I did this figure a could years back just because Hasbro was finally giving us properly sized/scaled Wookies.  I made this to BE Snoova not Chewbacca in the disguise.  I'm a HUGE fan of Shadows of the Empire, I needed to pay tribute to it. 

I'm not entirely happy with this one NOW but I was then but I'm not bothered so much by the flaws I see now that I actually have to fix it, just nitpicky stuff.

just for scale comparison:

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2009, 07:10:43 PM »
Holy cow, NFC, Welcome to the customs board, buddy!! You have some great looking stuff there.
  nice rebuild on the bacura. Looks better than the repainted version. I liked the back story on him and the cw clone which also turned out nice.
  Dude, that Wookie, Snoova, just rocks. What a difference in size in that one shot.

The labria looks good also. I love that one shot with all of the Alien figs around that table.

Consider yourself on the front page as soon as I catch up with my posts.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 07:28:10 PM by Clonehead »

Offline dana.raye.smith

• Commodore
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2009, 07:59:44 PM »
I really like all the aliens. never too many for me.
Kind of like clones.... cant really be too many.
Nice work on all the figs, and backstory is always a nice touch.

Offline StenHunter

• Captain
  • Support Clone
    • Mypron!
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2009, 08:37:28 PM »
I love the clones man, great job!! Welcome to the shipyards!!

Why go through life base fig, when you can customize?

Custom Gallary: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rMQfrsUZGeCLq5Kn6
Home Page: http://www.mypron.com

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2009, 09:12:29 PM »

Consider yourself on the front page as soon as I catch up with my posts.
:o

I'm honored!

seriously

wow

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2009, 09:31:19 PM »
I really like all the aliens. never too many for me.
same here, I love the diversity of them in the universe

Nice work on all the figs, and backstory is always a nice touch.
I've gotta have some backstory on characters that didn't preexist, it adds substance IMO.  And sometimes I've changed the stories on characters that I don't think were done justice by other writers.