Author Topic: military ground vehicle  (Read 38854 times)

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
Re: military ground vehicle
« Reply #285 on: November 19, 2009, 02:52:24 PM »
Or perhalps Wraithnine will have some spoilers up on his youtube channel  soon. 

Biggest thing with this new contest is secrecy,   all entries are to remain classified until the reveil,      No sneak peaks, WIPS, total silence :)    Everyone is eligible and your vote counts in picking the winner,

Now on the current topic of this contest,   I am not going to get my entry done, but will have to finish it up sooner or later anyway,  Shame I was excited about this one, but time just isn't on my side.

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #286 on: November 21, 2009, 07:19:02 PM »
Hey Spud so when is this contest over? Is it Dec 1 or Jan 1? I know we had talked about extending it. Also for the next contest can we get an official release date? I can't wait to hear the details.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #287 on: November 21, 2009, 07:21:43 PM »
The next contest is officlially starting Dec 1st, it will be announced then and will run til Jan 31st.

Offline TheCloneCommander

• Commodore
    • TheCloneCommander
« Reply #288 on: November 22, 2009, 03:50:12 AM »
i am on the edge of my seat waiting for the news

A well-built sniper rifle is a beautiful thing. Ours has two zoom modes, "Up close and personal" and "Hello, you're dead

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #289 on: November 22, 2009, 07:18:03 PM »
this contest is suposed to end dec.1st.  We didn't extend it further than that if I remember right.

Once the date is in I'll put the entries together into a voting thread and everyone will vote.  popular vote wins a custom signature banner with their custom prominantly featured. 

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #290 on: November 25, 2009, 09:46:38 AM »
I doubt I will finish mine entry but anyhow I will show what I was building,   My concept was a heavey artillery piece,   The Joe Whale had the entire back section cut off and I was going to build a trooper carrier type housing around it. IE an US bradley, the missle box was taken from a despoiler with a custom back box added to it out of stryrene, lasers are from a FLAK, fron small gun is a night ravens top gun,  I left the rounded hull as in my mind it offered a deflective surface rather than a reactive square side.

anyhow here is my monstrosity

Offline Luke Sprywalker

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #291 on: November 25, 2009, 10:05:13 AM »
Looking good so far. Come on now you have a long weekend to work on this and finish it up by next week. At least try, I am pullin for ya.

I was also wondering if anyone else had a vehicle in the works we have not seen yet?

It will be down to the wire on my entry as well. I have to put it all together and weather everything but the cargo hold.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #292 on: November 25, 2009, 10:29:45 AM »
Wow Wayne, I like it! I hope you finish it, even if it doesn't get in for the contest!

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #293 on: November 25, 2009, 10:36:35 AM »
I'll finish it sooner or later,  if the weather cooperates I will get some paint on it, the trooper section may not get done or I may change direction

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #294 on: November 25, 2009, 12:34:25 PM »
I started one, haven't shown any WIPPics of it yet...  Kinda stuck on exactly what to do with it.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #295 on: November 25, 2009, 01:09:20 PM »
dang... i've always wanted a whale... :(  it looks great! can't wait to see it finished.  Don't rush it just for the contest, but it'd be cool if you could enter it!

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #296 on: November 25, 2009, 01:27:03 PM »
Wayne, that's one hell of a start, and I agree: You can finish by the deadline with this LONG weekend we have ahead of us!  It looks killer so far!

Michael, you GOTTA get them WIP pics up!  I'm dying to see what you're coming up with!

As for mine, I have to go make up some stickers for it and it'll be finished.  Still regretting my choice, but I did like how it turned out, for the most part.  After the contest, I may tear it apart and do it all over again...

Offline r1bb1t

• Custom Fanatic
  • Captain
« Reply #297 on: November 25, 2009, 05:47:58 PM »
Wayne, don't stop now! You're off to a great start, buddy.

Doc, I shudder to think what you've got behind the curtain, after that last contest's awesome entry.

I think everyone may have to burn the candle at both ends a little, but it's possible to meet the deadline. I'm pullin for you guys.

MY HOTH DIO VIDEO WIP
feature=share

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #298 on: November 25, 2009, 06:55:44 PM »
awright, dangit.  WIPPics follow.

The parts:  You may recognize this as the "beach raider" hovercraft from the CORPS! line of action toys carried by WalMart, amongst others.  The two-tone blue "pseudo-flage" was utterly hideous.  Anything would be better!  I set out to create that "anything" as an experiment.  The cockpit "tub" and all the lower hull/plenum-skirts were left black.  That's a classic sci-fi color - hard to go wrong there.  IF the upper deck had been larger, I would have taken a shot at the AAC-1 from the Battlefront franchise and mounted the missile-racks from a Hailfire droid.  Well, it wasn't and I didn't feel up to trying to create the requisite deck on my first effort, so I just left it as-is.  I'll be going for the UCAV style from the old D6 SWRPG instead.  I mean, the toy is already loaded with forward-firing weapons!  I may leave the pop-up triple missile launcher in or I may pull it for cargo-space.  The hover/thrust-engines have to go - or at least undergo heavy modification.  But that's the name of the game - "customize"!

So, the upper deck parts got primered with a spray-can of primer gray from Wally World.  Once that had dried, I set to with Krylon's Ultra-Flat OD Green from its camouflage line.  That's where we are in this pic.

Offline DocOutlands

• Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #299 on: November 25, 2009, 07:07:42 PM »
So I decided I wanted large-ish swaths of camo colors.  Figured I could try out an idea I had on the large upper hatch.  I broke out the rubber cement and applied it liberally across the top of the hatch.  Once it dried (more or less - I think it may have still been partly wet!), I came back with the Khaki can from the same line (Fig1).  Once the paint was dry (again, more or less), I applied some more rubber cement, trying to cover just a bit of the khaki, so as to leave a rather thinner line of paint covered this time.  Once it sorta dried, I pulled out the Brown from the camo line and laid into it heavily (fig2) and let it dry all afternoon.  Now, hopefully, you have seen the pattern - base coat, apply a lot of rubber cement to protect large areas of that color, apply accent color, apply more rubber cement to protect some of the light accent color, apply last color over everything.  Now, you start peeling away the rubber cement and hopefully your result looks something like fig3!  I found using a strip of masking tape helps remove the rubber cement.  Once I pulled it all off, I was left with a fairly decent camo pattern (fig4).

Tomorrow, I'll either use rubber cement on the upper hull or I'll mummify the bloody thing in masking tape!!  I think the cockpit tub will get a shot of khaki paint, just because it is HIDEOUS to have to ride to war in something that shade of blue!!!  ;D

I'll start early and track my progress in pics, just so y'all can see what to NOT do, if nothing else!