Author Topic: JonnyStarWars - Custom TVC Darth Maul on the Way to Perfection  (Read 2109 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Back in September JohnnyStarWars shared his idea to modify VC86 Darth Maul on his YouTube Channel.
In my opinion he is on the way to make this figure the definitive version of the character - especially with the latest photo-real update. He replaced the softgoods skirt with the vinyl skirt of the 5POA Darth Maul of the SOLO toy line and also used some of the updated accessories.

Click here to check it out! He got many more custom recipes, dioramas and reviews.

Two weeks ago I was finally able to make his custom Darth Maul myself and I tried my best to take some more detailed pictures of the process. And I'm really impressed by how much the level of detail has developed since 2012. As much as I rejected the line, I must say Hasbro have done an amazing job on the sculpts of many of their 5 POA figures.
So here's my copycat version of modified Darth Maul:

Here's what you need.

- SOLO 2-Pack: Darth Maul & Qui-Gon Jinn
Got this set in a discount store for 7.99€.
- The Vintage Collection: VC86 Darth Maul figure
Got two of them used and incomplete for 3.50€ & 4€ on ebay. Both have loose joints, which I could fix with hot water. Perfect fodder for projects like this!
- Exacto knife
- strong glue e.g. Gorilla glue, instant adhesive, 2-component glue

How-to:
1. Cut off the skirt of the 5POA Maul on either the right or the left side with an Exacto knife. I chose the left side.
2. Cut off the softgoods skirt and the soft plastic belt of VC86 Darth Maul. Do not try to take it apart by putting the figure in hot water. The lower torso is connected with the upper torso and there is no way to take it apart.

I'm very impressed, how well this glue bounded the rubber skirt.

This was a fun little project and since I really look up to Jonny and his customizing skills I wanted to share this on a weekend. Happy Easter everyone!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2021, 03:25:12 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: JonnyStarWars - Custom TVC Darth Maul on the Way to Perfection
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 06:12:00 AM »
I agree this is a great Maul. Off to share this on the front pages.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2021, 10:37:13 PM »
Good job on this one (even if the inspiration and planning came from another source). Thanks for sharing all the pictures, too.

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 10:11:05 AM »
The vinyl skirt looks so much better. Softgoods is not always the best choice, especially for 1/18 scale figures.
Thank you for the detailed tutorial.