Author Topic: StarAlien70's custom vehicles  (Read 8111 times)

Offline StarAlien70

• Lieutenant
  • Happy 40th Anniversary, TESB!
    • StarAlien70 customs
StarAlien70's custom vehicles
« on: March 15, 2020, 01:40:09 PM »
Hi all. Here's more information on the custom 1:18 scale Expanded Universe Imperial Swamp Crawler I started showing on my custom figures thread, here: http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=9737.msg217294#msg217294

This was originally a 'soldier force' vehicle, I would have preferred to use the grey version of this as a base vehicle, but I could only get hold of the green one. I think it is based on a German TPz Fuchs. I used various plastic bottles, egg cartons, and lids to "Star Wars-ify" it.

Cockpit: I wanted this to have an AT-AT head feel. The side guns are blasters from the POTF Stormtrooper. The chin guns are from 'The Corps' First Response Tank - Wilko Heroes in the UK. The 2 buttresses under the chin are from the Rogue One 'Rebel Commando Pao VS Imperial Death Trooper' 2-pack. Various plastic pieces used; Shampoo lid, honey bottle bottoms, contact lens cases.

The top of the shampoo lid acts as a blast shield for the viewport - orange perspex from 'Tic-Tac' breath mints box.

Next: The Droid Compartment...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: StarAlien70's custom vehicles
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2020, 06:23:41 AM »
Yepper, I noticed the resemblance to that AT-AT right off. It looks fantastic. Folks are loving this on our Facebook Page too.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2020, 06:30:44 PM »
I’m loving the paint apps on this thing. Man, that crew you put together  really shines.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2020, 11:57:05 PM »
Absolutely love this mate, awesome work all round.

Ron

Offline StarAlien70

• Lieutenant
    • StarAlien70 customs
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2020, 03:47:56 AM »
Thank you all so much for your comments, likes and shares. I'm glad I persevered with this, I almost binned it at one point.

The Droid compartment: A TLC Build-a-droid astromech body already fit nicely into the existing socket on top of the vehicle, but I decided to put a lift in so it could pop-up into the socket. I cut out the side panels to put an access ramp. I have always found it frustrating when vehicles have hollow insides, but don't have any access to it (so I'm looking forward to getting TVC Troop Transporter).

The block part of the ramp is made from cut up pieces from a pack of disposable razors and packaging from some biscuits for the tread. This is also the access for the turret, you can just see the base that I put in for the turret.

There is a dividing panel between the droid compartment and the cockpit, which is made from plastic cut from a Christmas chocolate selection box and some more orange perspex.

Here's some WIP images of the droid lift: I cut out the shape for the droid from the existing enclosed socket, then added a cut out plastic lid (dark grey) to extend the shaft.

The vitamin tablet tube used for the lift droid holder, fit perfectly around the TLC-BAD droid body:

Next: The Turret Section...

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2020, 04:04:45 AM »
Scratchbuilding at its finest. Anything’s a candidate. Love all of the pics.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2020, 06:30:24 AM »
Wow, how cool is that and such intricate work to make that happen. It turned out great. Back to the front pages. Thank you for showing us how you did all this!

Offline Jodo

• Commander
  • All Hail the Empire!
    • Toys and Deep Thinking Blog
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2020, 06:56:10 AM »
This is real achievement as far as I’m concerned.

Offline Forceflow

• Ensign
  • Droid, please!
    • Forceflow's Special Modifications
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2020, 03:40:03 PM »
This thing makes me smile every time I see it, would've killed for one of these as a kid! The droid lift is a nice touch.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2020, 02:27:58 AM »
Great vehicle, I really like the wheels and cockpit
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline StarAlien70

• Lieutenant
    • StarAlien70 customs
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2020, 05:29:59 AM »
Thanks again for all your comments, glad you're liking this. Here's some more.

The Turret Section: The gunner has access to the turret from the droid compartment ramp.

Here's some WIP images of the turret section, which is made from a coffee jar lid, a cream pot lid, an aerosol lid, and a tablet pot.

Positioning the turret base, showing room for 4 troopers at the rear of the vehicle.

I cut the bottom off the existing turret tube to allow the figure to stand lower in the turret.

The plastic components with sections cut out and assembled.

Next: The Troop Compartment...

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2020, 05:48:43 AM »
So cool. Man, you didn't pull out any stops on this one. You have got to pleased with this.

Off to the front pages.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2020, 08:36:21 AM »
Nice, gunner height
Looks good.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2020, 08:56:16 AM »
These posts are among our most popular on FB this week.

Offline StarAlien70

• Lieutenant
    • StarAlien70 customs
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2020, 02:45:21 PM »
Thanks again for your comments, likes and shares. Here's the last set of images for now on the Swamp Crawler.

4 Seater Troop Compartment: I cut away the rear panel of the vehicle to put in an access ramp, this section was the lid from a plastic container. I used the metal rods from an umbrella to attach the ramp (old umbrellas come in useful).

The lid already had the slits cut out of it, which make a great shape and allow a peak into the interior.

The seat sections were made from parts of the droid harnesses from the 'Royal Starship Droids' set, with the back rests each made from half an earphone cord tidy.

The seats can be pushed up. You can see the back of the turret base with a viewscreen attached.

I cut off the top hatch and reattached it with a hinge, so it can be opened. I also cut away a section from the top to put the orange perspex skylight in.

The interior floor and walls are lined with plastic from a Christmas chocolate selection box packaging which gives a great texture.

There is a blaster rack on each side of the interior, these are cut down rifle racks from the POTF CommTech Stormtrooper.