Author Topic: Clonehead’s Slotcars lighting up a 289 Cobra  (Read 30377 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Clonehead’s Slotcars lighting up a 69 Camaro
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2019, 03:39:44 AM »
The Camaro is looking splendid. That lighting is really nice. Since your doing Chevys, how 'bout a late model El Camino? ;)
thanks starchaser! I haven’t found a body for an elcamino yet in one of the two scales I’m working with although I still think one could exist. I seen a resin copy of a printed 59 body that looked a bit rough. I would have to fab up a wrap around wind shield and back glass for that one.
On the other side of the fence, I do have an old amt 1/32 ranchero body that I plan to graft onto a digital mustang chassis
. I’m working up to that project

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2019, 10:44:15 AM »
Well, I got my warm white headlight leds mounted with room and I got my tower Amber leds for the fog lights mounted at an angle on the chassis pointing down into the cut spaces behind the fog light inserts
Got everything shrink tubes and stuffed the fog light leads down into the axle box for room. I can kind of manipulate the wires from outside after assembly for more clearance and some slot car lube should protect the rest. I also added this neyodine magnet which I glued to the chassis under the rear axle for more traction.
In between that and the lights and wires/resistors, I have added a little weight here.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2019, 10:49:13 AM »
And it’s together and done. Here are the track pics.
Lights and switching work perfect. It drives a little better than last time with the added magnet. I think the old tires could still use replacement but with some practice, this camaro could compete with the mustang fastbacks that I have.
    That was a chore, I’m ready for an easy one.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #48 on: March 20, 2019, 02:16:35 AM »
That sure looks sweet to me Clint. Off to share.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #49 on: March 20, 2019, 04:50:25 PM »
Thanks Shawn
Here is an easy one

This would be better in the Amazon thread but sometimes they will have a warehouse clearance item available marked as used for a discounted price. Usually it’s something that had a damaged package and was inspected and repackaged to be bought in this way.
     Free shipping means cheap packaging for amazon and the bubble mailer I got rattled horribly when I picked it up.
  When I got past the inspection sticker and bubble wrap I was horrified to see that the Star inspection team hadn’t used the wing nut screw to screw down the car to the case from the bottom side like all slot cars are. They had instead threw it inside the case with the car and wrapped it up to ship.
    It had to have banged around like a pinball on its trip from California The rear spoiler was broke, quick fix but boo on amazon.

This C7R 1/32 scale corvette is a modern evolution car and is updated to digital with lights easily using a chip and light board sets that were robbed from another car. The chassis are the same now so insert points for the light boards are already molded in.
     I notice a spot for fog lights in this model. Many are like that and all the digital chips have two front channels for lights

I have a lot of lighting to do.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 04:53:24 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #50 on: March 21, 2019, 01:48:20 AM »
Fragile items like slot cars arriving broken is a real let-down. It would be nice if Amazon at least gave you a refund. Still a very nice model. And luckily this Corevette landed in good hands, that could fix the broken spoiler easily. Looking good, Clint!

- Philipp

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #51 on: March 21, 2019, 02:28:09 AM »
Looks like a little tlc got that car back in action. Great work Clint. Off to share.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #52 on: March 21, 2019, 06:51:14 PM »
So this pioneer brand 1/32 Dukes Charger was one of the first cars I converted to digital but until now, I hadn’t put any lights in it. I think I was waiting to get some skills ironed out.
    The front fog lights got drilled out and some nano orange leds filled that spot. The back fascia was Weird in that it’s taillight lense is painted on, I believe, over a white plastic piece that is part of the fascia assembly. Kind of strange considering everyone else provides a channel to the plastic lense, but stil lightable from behind, just in a different that conventional way.  Under the brake lense, they did provide pass through lenses for the white back up lights which I decided to light up with cool white tower leds pointing close at the back side. There was a pair of simple light bar mounts moulded on the chassis back there I used to suspend an led brake light bar that came out of a mustang I parted out. It was a chore cramming all of that wiring in and under
The dukes full interior. I need to concentrate on making my wiring less bulky in the future.
   These pioneer cars are made to be scalextric DPR chip friendly and have an access door on the bottom which is where I mounted my chip. I need to find that door so I can carve on it and put it back.
      Pioneer is a German after market car manufacturer and all of its cars come as analog without lights but with a more powerful 4K motor, I believe
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 07:17:50 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2019, 02:07:02 AM »
You can find my comments on the front page.

Man I loved the Dukes of Hazzard as a kid.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2019, 03:02:33 AM »
Totally agree with Shawn Dukes of Hazards was a great show back in the day and I love your slot car of it.

Ron

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #55 on: March 22, 2019, 03:53:05 PM »
Yeah, I wanted to talk about the charger a little more because it was a favorite of mine as well.  The competition between these slot car companies drives them to purchase licenses like the Duke Boys here or Steve McQueen’s Bullet Mustang and Bad guys Charger was available last year, I think, complete with McQueen and thug figures. One of the thugs is supposedly holding a shot gun, I haven’t seen it.
Carrera has exclusive rights to produce Ferrari slot cars, they have licensed James Bond, Fast And Furious, and Disney’s Cars. Scalestric ran two Mad Max cars last year.
     I don’t think pioneer has been around that long. They only make mustangs camaros and chargers of around the same era.
   The sculpts are impressive on these representations of the cousins although the paint could be more pristine. The car looks spot on. I did bust off the mirror working on it which I’ll have to find a replacement for. Carrera packs extra mirrors in. These guys threw in an extra cb antenna instead. Notice the sideways mounted motor and the larger drive gear on the rear axle. They even painted the motor the same orange for this model.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #56 on: March 22, 2019, 03:56:09 PM »
I wish they would push the license a bit further and do a rosco car or a boss Hogg car
Jessie’s truck or cooters tow truck would top it off

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #57 on: March 22, 2019, 04:03:26 PM »
The charger still reminds me of the orange car I have in my garage. I have been watching a set of 01 stickers for the doors for years now.

The factory traction aide magnets in the charger make it stick to the side of the door like that. Stronger than I thought.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2019, 02:09:51 PM »
The General Lee looks absolutely brilliant! Fantastic job on this, love those lighting effects.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #59 on: March 24, 2019, 05:28:43 AM »
Now I have the theme song going in my head. Making their way anyway they know how. Might be messing that up, but man loving this stuff Clint. Off to share.