Author Topic: Clone Commander Bly Kotobukiya ARTFX 1:7 Figure  (Read 15267 times)

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
Clone Commander Bly Kotobukiya ARTFX 1:7 Figure
« on: February 02, 2018, 12:10:50 PM »
Star Wars Clone Trooper Commander Bly Kotobukiya ARTFX
                  1/7 Scale Pre painted Soft Vinyl Model Kit

I do not own this image.
Source: http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_102908a.htm

Manufacturer: CRAFTSMANSHIP KOTOBUKIYA
Series: ARTTFX
License: Star Wars
Item: Clone Trooper Commander Bly
Material: Soft Vinyl
Origin: Designed in Japan, Made in China

Scale: 1/7
Size: 10.28 inches / 25,71 cm (according to scale)
Actual Height: 12.52 inches / 31,8 cm (~12" / 30 cm without Base)
Number of Pieces: 8

Year of Release: 2006
Series: Revenge of the Sith
Original Retail Price: $69.99 (based on the information I found)

About the character:

"General Secura, we have a problem."
    - CC-5052 aka "Bly" informing Aayla Secura of a problem.

CC-5052, nicknamed "Bly," was a Clone Commander who served in the Grand Army of the Republic's 327th Star Corps during the Clone Wars. A genetic clone of the bounty hunter Jango Fett, Bly was grown on the planet Kamino. During the course of the War, he served under Jedi General Aayla Secura, a female Twi'lek Jedi Master who was once apprenticed to the infamous Jedi Quinlan Vos. Bly developed a close working relationship with Secura and accompanied the Jedi Master on a variety of missions to different planets throughout the war.

Source: Wookiepedia

Read the full article by following this link: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/CC-5052

With this set you get a 1/7 scale pre-painted model kit as the packaging already tells you. You can just put all parts together or even glue them, but I don't recommend this to you because the parts hold together tightly just by pinning them. There is no articulation in this vinyl figurine like in all other statues of Kotobukiya's 1/7 sclale series.
It comes with one extra Clone Trooper helmet which gives you a nice option how to display this statue. You can either display your statue as Commander Bly with or without his visor or just as regular 327th Star Corps Clone Trooper:

Details of the Statue:

As almost always pictures say more than words. Kotobukiya added some nice detail to this figurine. The details look nice, but when you look close enough you'll notice that you would be able to add the details even better than they did. Obviously the details are printed on there not painted. That wouldn't be possible for a collectible that is produced in such quantities.

Base:

Like the statue itself the base is well done, too! Kotobukiya added some nice details to it like the torso of a Super Batle Droid. This "defeated oponent" detail is similar to the Infantry Battle Droid of Commander Cody's base.
The theme is obviously Felucia. The detail on here is rather spare here though. They could've done a better job to make it look more like Felucia for example by applying a darker paint for the ground and adding some fungus as seen in Revenge of the Sith. But it still looks very nice.
Commander Bly is attached to the base by the previous owner who fixed the statue with two screws. It seems to be a weak spot. These model kits from Kotobukiya seem to have some of them. I also got a ROTS Darth Vader and a General Grievous with some spots that easily break. But more on that in upcoming reviews... 

About the 327th Star Corps:

The 327th Star Corps was a military division of the Grand Army of the Republic, composed of clone soldiers bred to fight for the Galactic Republic. Led by Jedi General Aayla Secura and her trusted clone Commander, CC-5052, the 327th fought against the Separatist droid armies on multiple planets across the galaxy. On the eve of the Clone Wars' conclusion, a group of 327th troopers executed Secura in reaction to Order 66.

Source: Wookiepedia
Read the full article by following this link: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/327th_Star_Corps

327th Star Corps Clone Trooper

Helmets in comparison:

In 2017 I got very lucky by finding 8 1/7 scale statues from Kotobukiya and one 1/6 scale figure from MEDICOM Toys. I'll post reviews on all of them. Today I started with Commander Bly, which I got used without packaging for 50€ / ~$60.

And this is how Bly adds some colour to my new cabinet:

Conclusion:

Kotobukiya gave us a very decent display piece with this model kit. If you're a fan of Clone Troopers it's definitely a must have. Clone Commander Bly is a unique character with a one-of-a-kind helmet, cape and armour colour. Be aware of the fact that  these figurines are not posable! They're sold as pre-painted model kits to be klicked together and displayed. They're not toys and not made to be played with. So they're just meant to be a display piece.
If you can get this for about 50-80 bucks I think it's worth the money, but there's no way I would pay more for this. The aftermarket prices have - as always - gone crazy! People claim up to $250 for this one in new condition...crazy! I am very happy to have gotten it used and I'll keep it displayed in my cabinet along with my other model kits from Kotobukiya.

So for what it is, Commander Bly is a really nice add to your collection. It's not a con that there's no articulation because it's a model kit/statue. Some details could've been nicer though like the cape or the detail on the base. But these are just minor flaws. Compared to the original retail price you get a high quality product for your money.

I always like to look at models in bigger scales in order to get a better impression of how to improve my 3 3/4" customs. My focus is definitely on 1/18 scale and it always will be. But over the last couple years I also added some "high end collectibles" to my collection...

My rating: 9/10

So thanks for taking a look at my review! I hope you enjoy it and get a sufficient look at all the details.

I'm thankful for your feedback!

Best regards from Germany!

- Philipp

Darth More (legion078)

« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 09:33:02 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Clone Commander Bly Kotobukiya ARTFX 1:7 Figure
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 08:58:58 AM »
Wow, talk about one detailed review. Off to share.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 04:23:29 PM »
Great review mate and I didn't realize that there was so much detail in these figures.

Ron

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 06:16:39 AM »
@ Tamer: Thanks for sharing Shawn! I also sent you a PM, yetserday.

@ hemble: Thank you for your feedback, Ron! I actually thought of you in particular when I wrote about the details on these figurines. The detail is very nice, indeed, but I think you would do them much better!

It took most of my Saturday for this review. Editing the pics, uploading them and writing the text is most work of all, but it's fun and I'll do more reviews, soon!

Have a great Sunday and best regards from Germany!

- Philipp
« Last Edit: February 04, 2018, 06:19:46 AM by Darth More »

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2018, 08:47:30 AM »
Brilliant review.
The detailing of the figure is excellent.
The Kotobukiya statues are a good alternative to the Sideshow and Hot Toys figures if you can accept the missing articualtion.

The base could be better. The Super Battle Droid torso looks nice but the base should look more like Felucia. Maybe a future custom project for you.

A very nice addition to your collection.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 10:41:15 AM by FialaFernbrugg »

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 02:00:42 AM »
The 1/7 Kotobukiya statues were really great! Too bad they don't make them in this scale anymore with minor exceptions
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 09:56:12 AM »
@ FialaFernbrugg: Thanks mate! I'm glad you like it and I agree! These statues are a great alternative to Sideshow/HotToys!

It's funny that we had exactly the same idea! I thought about making a mold and duplicating the original base. I actually got enough material to give Bly a custom Felucia base...it's just the lack of time, let's see what the future brings.

@ jkno: True...but I'm sure you got them all secured for yourself! I'm a big fan of your collection! It's just amazing! I think it's just a licensing thing that Koto stopped making these 1/7 scale statues...maybe some day they get the license again - let's keep fingers crossed

Thanks for your comments guys!

- Philipp

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2018, 10:47:03 AM »
The 1/7 Kotobukiya statues were really great! Too bad they don't make them in this scale anymore with minor exceptions

But they still make great figures in 1/10 scale. For example the Shore Trooper or Death Trooper two pack.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 06:19:50 AM »

But they still make great figures in 1/10 scale. For example the Shore Trooper or Death Trooper two pack.

I have a few 1/10 but the line is too small for me to collect them all.

@ jkno: True...but I'm sure you got them all secured for yourself! I'm a big fan of your collection! It's just amazing! I think it's just a licensing thing that Koto stopped making these 1/7 scale statues...maybe some day they get the license again - let's keep fingers crossed

Thanks for your comments guys!

- Philipp

Thanks, hope they will come back in full. They did make a new 1/7 ANH Vader in museum pose, I might get it some day. But I would like a Koto 1/7 Stormie, the old dancing Luke/Stormie looks ugly as hell
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2023, 02:45:13 AM »
On my way back to Dresden I picked up 3 Clone Troopers for 50€ each in Dortmund back in 2019. Commander Bly was one of them. In February 2020 I found 4 more 1/7 scale statues here close to Dresden for 40€ each. And back home I got another collection from a risky transaction of 6 statues for 300€ all together. I think It's time to share them all with you on here.

I see there's great interest for this high-end collectibles with over 13k clicks just on this review.
Thanks a lot for the lasting support guys!

« Last Edit: October 15, 2023, 02:47:37 AM by Darth More »