Author Topic: Episode IX  (Read 5321 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Episode IX
« on: September 13, 2017, 02:35:14 AM »
Thought we had a post here for that, but guess not so here goes.

http://www.starwars.com/news/j-j-abrams-to-write-and-direct-star-wars-episode-ix

Did every see JJ will be back for number nine? My initial thoughts are lets just hope we don't get a new straight rehash of The Return of the Jedi, but then part of me wonders whats wrong with that as I like ROTJ.

Offline kalzeth

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
Re: Episode IX
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2017, 08:52:51 AM »
I am disappointed. While I loved TFA on the first viewing, once I got past the new Star Wars movie feel it was completely underwhelming.

The good news is JJ is capable of creating new ideas but we have to see if he does them. His movies have a very consistent feel and I was hoping they would go a different direction with IX

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 02:18:18 AM »
This being the second director they have "agreed to part ways with" meaning fired for all of us regular people. Is Lucasfilm tying their hands so much they aren't allowed to add new things?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2019, 01:36:21 AM »
Well, here's something I hope some of you can laugh about as much as I could. I had a very good time watching this and wish I knew George's true feeling about the Sequels, now...

Double-click for full screen view & enjoy!

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2019, 01:27:58 AM »
Have you seen all the numerous teaser trailers for The Rise of Skywalker? Came accross this video this morning and think it's worth sharing.

I'm quite excited to hear the feedback for Disney's final Episode to ruin the Skywalker legacy.

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to."

Well, they certainly did.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2019, 04:20:20 AM »
Hard to believe just a few more days till we can watch this.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2019, 07:11:09 AM »
Guess we should create a Spoiler version, but what did you think about it without giving anything away? To me I was left feeling neither excited nor bummed. I think it was a good middle of the road film.

The only thing I will say is the nod to OT Fans all over the place felt a bit forced at times, but as a person who grew up with those films I loved it while my wife hated it. She said it was "corny" when they did it sometimes.

I am gonna go ahead and create the spoil it away thread now too.

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2019, 05:42:08 PM »
I say keep both and use the spoiler one for nitpicking?

Me I kinda "loved it" the worst part is I want EP 10 now since THIS should've just been EP 7. it has many many flaws and things I either didn't like or thought was inane but the overall product was polished enough that I was able to enjoy it and not feel insulted or preached too. Every leak was right but the execution was all that matters. This one actually felt like a SW movie. It FINALLY had all the characters back in one single movie... No matter how random or convoluted. It focused on the characters and working as a team caring about each other. That is important to me as a SW fan. I really liked even the hokey nonsense because it at least just owned it or had some silly reason for existence. Like the aliens at the festival. Not my favorite but it was the customs/culture fore most... Unlike the Frog Nuns, Porgs, Sea Calf ETC. 5000X from TLJ which had ZERO purpose but merch/comic relief. It's kinda like a soft reboot of EP8 / Dark Empire which is enough for me to just not be picky and just enjoy it. Its going to be epic to hear all the BTS information after this movie alone because it had like 9 different cuts to the point it's rumored that's why Lucas etc. Were not at premiere.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2019, 07:17:47 PM »
I really liked it. Of course ROTJ is my favorite, that's the movie I watch the most, and build the most dioramas based on. It had an ROTJ feel, but I don't think it pandered to nostalgia as much as TFA, and it wasn't a complete rehash either.

It didn't retcon TLJ in my opinion, as many claim. It cleaned it up a bit. Well the only retcon was Luke's saber not being destroyed anymore. That's not a spoiler if you saw the trailer.
The comic relief was funny, 3po was funny the same way he was in the OT. I liked Babu frik I don't give a damn what anyone says. I laughed at almost everything he said.
The space battle was good. Lando was awesome.
Overall I really like it. I knew I would, but not as much as I do. I probably need to see it again to find something I don't like about it.  This movie saved the Trilogy, for me. When TFA came out, I thought well, it's using a familiar storyline to introduce new characters. TLJ, it started to get it's own identity, but it was still incomplete. Now the trilogy is complete, I can look at it begining to end, and I feel much better about it.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2019, 07:45:29 PM by JDeck »

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 04:53:50 PM »
JUST saw it today for a 3rd time. Having just watched ANH&ESB I like this movie even more. Its just a perfectly fine SW movie. Not the best but the most interesting/cool of the ST. Things I "didn't like" I now enjoy more because its all in good fun... The stakes are the highest of any SW since KYLO is just a beast in these films. He could take anything and abuse it with all the power at his control. In this one I really felt like he was "Vader" and just rolling over everyone everywhere.  ALL the performances are good from the leads (and legends) and the secondary characters are all perfectly campy set dressing. Just lots of crazy stuff in this movie. My showing at 1:15pm today was FULL. So many are seeing it/interested. I Think the word of mouth is getting around that this is the "one to see" in the ST much like ROTS was at the time.

My overall complaint... Till the day I die with THIS movie is IT should've been the first ST movie. Because you could've easily stretched all the stuff from this into more movies. This movie was really fun like DARK EMPIRE was: just a nutzo popcorn nail-bitter with grand scale.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2020, 04:42:03 AM »
I think nobody needs my opinion on TROS, since you all know I don't like the Sequels (I really tried to though).
But I got a story to share:

My 13-year-old sister said she hates Star Wars. Well, yesterday she had a friend here for a sleepover and at 10 pm they suddenly came downstairs and wanted to watch the first Episode of Star Wars.
Her friend watched The Rise of Skywalker (Der Aufstieg Skywalkers is the German title) in theatre on Saturday and she LOVED it! So she animated my sister to watch the entire SAGA! Good Job JJ - you made two teen girls get into STAR WARS, one of which hated it before.
So my dad surrendered right away because he was tired and didn't want to explain the whole story to the girls. So it was all on me.
Where do I start? It was the first time I had to explain my favorite movies to two giggling girls.
Do I recommend them to watch The Phantom Menace or A New Hope first?
One thing was clear to me: They had to watch the movies themselves without me telling and explaining everything to them.

Show, don't tell, right?

If you don't like the Prequels, grab your popcorn and read on!

My sister's friend asked me a lot of questions before I could even start explaining. She asked me what the name of this golden droid is - mp3? I said it's C-3PO - took three times 'til she remembered that. I write this to let you know where I started at. She remembered Joey (Chewie) who is cute. And she told me that Yoda was Darth Vader and Palpatine are the bad guys. The Skywalkers are the good guys! Did I warn you of spoilers already? Well, here you go.

The character she remembers most is Rey. And she really likes Ben. She asked who Han Solo is.
Since she was so interested in Palpatine I let them watch TPM first. Maybe because I grew up with the Prequels myself. I know many fans out there absolutely hate the Prequels. It's interesting to see that so many people who grew up with the PT have issues with the Sequels now.

It's the gap of generations.

Since the two girls were busy giggling looking on their Smartphones they missed the opening crawl. They didn't understand a Thing so they started all over and I told them to pay Attention because it's worth it.
So while they were watching Episode I they kept asking when the Millenium Falcon finally appears.
I was busy hearing how they react to each sequence and it was an all new experience to me.
Here's the summary for your time's sake:

- they got confused with the political Situation at the beginning. Sadly, they don't know what a Blockade is or what the Seperatists are. (…)
- thought Obi-Wan was Anakin and didn't care so much about Qui-Gon
- they did not like Jar Jar Binks.
- asking when Anakin was coming
- Podrace was too Long, they got bored -  back to the Smartphones
- confusion about the Queen and who she actually is - Padmé or the Queen?
- too much politics - I said you'll love Episode II then. They looked up what the Death Star was meanwhile
- told them that the Prequels tell the story about how Anakin is found, tained to become a Jedi and how he is seduced by Palpatine who gains the ultimate power through a perfidious game.
I said Palpatine Plays chess with the Republic and the Separatist. The board is a Democracy that doesn't work and the game is called The Clone Wars.
- more questions: Are the Stormtroopers (of the First Order) the Clones? Who are the Clones then? Who are the Jedi? What are the Sith? And why are they against each other?
- they really liked the romance between Anakin and Padmé, they wanted to see Anakin as an adult (attraction) since Anakin is too young for them in TPM
- as I'm writing this they're watching AOTC
- they liked Yoda in TPM but couldn't help themselved, but giggled all the way through
- Darth Maul was intimidating and my sister said Maul is the devil inside her constantly trying to make her break her diet. Interesting.
- at the end of the movie they said it was just obsolete - they wanted to see Anakin as an adult. To see Luke, Han, the Millenium Falcon and Joey...I mean Chewie.

I guess the average movie goer of STAR WARS has changed by now. Rey attracts girls, indeed! And romance.

-------------------------------------------------

My dad went to see TROS with a friend. And they liked it! My dad says it's a solid movie to watch. He liked it!
By now I was asked by two girls if I went to watch it with them. I passed.
Three of my friends saw it already and they all suggest me to give it a chance - it's good they say. It's nostalgic.

And my sister and her friend? The're watching AOTC right now and want to watch TROS together.
Well, I'm not taking them to the theater that's for sure.

Her firend said, TROS made sense and all.
And I asked one question: Would the Rise of Skywalker make sense if the Emperor wasn't part of it?

She said: Not so much.

Cheers!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2020, 08:16:41 AM »
Yeah a friend of mine has a 14 year old girl. A while back I asked if she liked star wars, she said she was too old. I said okay. I thought the same when I was 13 or so. Well she watched The Last Jedi, and loved it. A former girlfriend of mine, she didn't get into Star wars until The Force Awakens, when she was in her 30s. That's what the fandom menace doesn't get, these movies aren't directed towards old fans, that's fine, I still enjoy them.  I think it's great Star wars is creating new fans.

Offline Darth More

• Grand Moff
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2020, 08:24:05 AM »
Thank you for your reply JD! I'm a fan of the Fandom Menace I guess. But I'm happy for everyone who can see a win in the ST. It's awesome to see that it generates new fans, many of which are female!
The Star Wars universe is growing and that's always good - most especially for Di$ney!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2020, 11:29:09 AM »
The problem with the Sequels is they tried to please the Fandom menace. When the prequels came out, they said they wanted something more like the original trilogy. Then TFA was too much like the original star wars. Then TLJ was too unexpected, now TROS has too much fan service or whatever. When you try to please everyone, you please no one. TROS tried to please the Fandom menace by undoing TLJ, then the Reyloers with the kiss, but no one is happy at the end.

They could have made a really good trilogy, but they screwed it up. JJ didn't really want to do it, but they enticed him with more money. They should have gotten someone who really wanted to take on the sequel trilogy and come up with a plan for it. Having said all that, I still find them enjoyable, TROS being the best. Sometimes you have to shut your brain off and enjoy.