Author Topic: Help me avoid paint rub  (Read 945 times)

Offline JediMindtrix

• Jedi Knight
  • Captain
  • "These aren't the droids you're looking for."
Help me avoid paint rub
« on: July 27, 2017, 03:55:01 PM »
Hey gang,it's been awhile since I've been here but I've never been far from the work table. Glad the ISY is still going strong. I need help with joint rub on my custom figures,can you guys list your methods of keeping the paint from rubbing off the joints? I've tried the sanding techniques where I Dremel a bit from the elbow,knee  joints but I'd like to avoid that. Any other suggestions. Thanks,hope to post some stuff here soon.

Offline Jaeger45

• Lieutenant
Re: Help me avoid paint rub
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 08:03:10 AM »
My best advice for avoiding paint rub is to avoid painting joints.  Seriously, whenever possible I try to choose a lighter colored extremity, and use RIT dye for synthetics to bring the color to what I need.  Not as big of a challenge as one might think, as there are a lot of browns and blacks in Star Wars costumes, as well as creams and beiges to start from.  If the color is close, often dry brushing doesn't rub nearly as bad as a solid coat.   I have heard others have good luck with spray vinyl detailing dyes, but I haven't tried this yet.

If you do have to paint joints, you're pretty much stuck using your dremel.  If at all possible, I try to avoid extreme color shifts (black or dark grey to white, for example), as the remaining disc edges of the ball joint still tend to stick out.  One thing you can try, after carefully sanding and painting , is applying a very thin coat of Superglue with a toothpick to protect static surfaces.  Be forewarned, however, that if it oozes next to the disc, it is difficult to impossible to free up that joint safely.

Offline Jaeger45

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 08:33:08 AM »
To RIT dye figures, I generally separate components to the greatest extent possible, remove any undesired paint with Goof Off, wash in dishwashing detergent and rinse. Position any disc joints (ankles or shoulders for example) in their most extreme position. 

Mix approximately 25% RIT dye and 75% water in a small Pyrex container, allowing for enough solution to cover parts entirely and allow for evaporative loss.  Bring this to a boil, watching closely to avoid boil-overs; this takes about 2 minutes on high in my microwave.  Once boiling, stop and add parts, checking frequently.  You want to stop at a light or medium stage, as you will have to reposition joints and repeat the process to dye the entire disc.  Rinse thoroughly and reassemble.

PVC generally takes dye better than hard plastic.  Painted surfaces take dye poorly.  Use caution when dying particularly thin pieces, as they may shrink or deform.  If the dying is going particularly poorly, you can microwave the part in its dye solution for 15-30 seconds, as long as there is no metal.  Use extra caution to avoid splashing or spilling, as this WILL STAIN.  Finally, use caution when heating plastics, as they may offgas some nasty fumes; use nonfood containers, and consider using a non-food appliances.

Hopefully this helps!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 07:22:28 PM »
Great advice.