Author Topic: "Doctor Who" 10th Doctor's TARDIS Console Room playset review.  (Read 5284 times)

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
  • Customizing Spirit Of Wrath
    • The Spectreverse

I finally got to finish putting together the Tenth Doctor's Console Room playset I picked up at the "Doctor Who Experience" in Cardiff, Wales while on vacation.

Front View:

Side View w/TARDIS Entryway (doors closed):

Side View w/TARDIS Entryway (doors opened):

Top View:

The playset was intended for the 5.5" scale line but is far undersized, actually coming in closer to scale with the 3.75" line that I collect. There are some elements that are still too large for the 3.75" line such as the coat rack and the height of the seats, but those can be worked around fairly easily (there are 1/18 dollhouse coat racks and I can cut down the post for the seats). The console is slightly larger than the actual studio prop in relation to the 3.75" figures but it is not too distracting.

With 3.75" "Doctor Who" figures for scale:

As you can see, the playset does a great job of representing the studio set from the 9th and 10th Doctor's eras. All of the details you would expect to have are present. The central Console has electric lights and sounds (very loud and clear) and the "Time Rotor" raises and lowers inside it's clear tube mimicking the actions from the show.

I dislike cardboard playset elements but will keep the floor pieces until I can fashion and paint plastic ones from "granny grate". The cardboard background will be replaced with plastic someday as well.

Overall, I am very happy with this piece, it is large, very detailed, and I got it for far cheaper (£49.99- approx $63.49) than I could have here in the States (the cheapest I have seen if online was $135 on www.whona.com).
Hopefully someday Character Options will revive the 3.75" line and give us other TARDIS Console Room playsets (my main wants being a Classic 3rd-7th Doctors' and the current 12th Doctor's versions).
Founding Member Of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Founding Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

Visit me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000474627568

https://www.facebook.com/Spectreverse/

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: "Doctor Who" 10th Doctor's TARDIS Console Room playset review.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 02:36:44 AM »
Pretty neat set if you ask me. Off to share the latest.