Author Topic: Star Wars No Paint Kit Bash 2017  (Read 29486 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Star Wars No Paint Kit Bash 2017
« on: May 04, 2017, 02:57:35 AM »
Time to celebrate May the 4th Imperial Shipyards Style!

Hello Shipyarders, today we are announcing The Star Wars No Paint Kit Bash Rally 2017. Open to any member of the Shipyards, make/enter anywhere from 1 to 5 figures  of the 3.75" or 6" Variety. Your entry needs to be Star Wars in nature and can be from any time frame or genre you choose (OTC, Prequel, Rogue One, TFA, TOR, etc.) as long as it is a new custom for you that hasn't been shared yet. The idea is to get us thinking about what parts look good together without painting anything. You are allowed to add greeblies, bits, strapping or other "do-dads" as you wish. We would like to see multiple parts added (more than just a head swap) as an entry and when you submit a photo of the figure (up to four images for each entry) we will also need a parts list (recipe) and description of what you have done. Then, after this is over, we can take all the great creations you folks will come up with and replicate them ourselves down the road. This contest will run from now till June 4th, 2017 at 9 AM eastern standard time.

For each figure you enter here (in this thread), you will get 1 ticket with your name on it in the Empire Strikes Back Mug ( with my daughter drawing em out when all the entries are in ). Meaning the more kit bashes you make the more entries you get for the random drawing. Again, you can enter up to 5 figures. Once again please make sure your entry includes:

1. A picture

2. Your parts recipe

3. Description of how you put them together

I have a ton of prizes stored up from our challenge hiatus so look for me to draw quite a few names. I will try go get you more pictures very soon, but wanted to announce this for May the 4th. This is definitely not the entire list.

And the image above is from my daughter's entry way back in 2014 when she made her own entry for this contest. I need to go back and see if I can find it. Matter of fact feel free to go down memory lane like I did today from our previous challenge:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=8904.msg168114#msg168114

There were some great entries there. This will be a great challenge to start up our custom contests again. Thanks for entering Yarders!

Offline Forceflow

• Ensign
  • Droid, please!
    • Forceflow's Special Modifications
Re: Star Wars No Paint Kit Bash 2017
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2017, 04:07:57 AM »
Oh man, knew it would come down to this! It's going to be a challenge, for sure. I'm so used to using paint, even sparingly... but I'm sure we'll see a lot of creative ways around that.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2017, 09:39:27 AM »
I can't wait to see some entries pop into this.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 05:52:31 AM »
Anyone working on anything for this?

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 02:43:39 PM »
Actually I have a few ideas for "ultimate" figures that are no paint kitbashes. So win win. It really is a challenge, I usually use a splash of paint on everything. Great prizes too!

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 10:56:50 PM »
I thought I might get this rolling - though the figure is quite simple. I really like the Scarif Trooper body, so I'm thinking about customs for it.

Egrel Semot is an Imzig, who like Utris M'Toc was a member of the High King's Guard. After a bloody coup he went into exile to protect his family from those who had staged the coup. His military training and experience with forced take-overs made him a ripe candidate for the Alliance. It wasn't long before he was noticed by Airen Cracken of Rebel Intelligence. Egrel was recruited into the Raiders Battalion. Functioning in teams of two, the Raiders are armored commandos who function deep in enemy territory for long periods of time disrupting communication and supply lines, gathering intelligence, encouraging resistance groups and taking out strategic targets.

The recipe is simple:
 Scarif Trooper body, Utris M'Toc head, Endor rebel trooper (saga collection) helmet, blasters from a rebel fleet trooper and a ROTS AT-RT driver. The head fit on the Scarif Trooper neck post, which is part of why I used it.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 10:58:32 PM by Starchaser »

Offline I-am-Boba-Fett

• Brigadier
    • Riff Valley Design Works
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2017, 11:02:56 PM »
This is my first official entry of this contest. Here's an all new no paint kit bashed action figure by me.
This is my UBESE BOUNTY HUNTER custom Star Wars figure.

Parts list:
Bane Malar-upper torso, right arm, and right hand
Indiana Jones- belt holster
Miyoom Oonith- lower torso and legs
Build a droid Jabba's protocol droid- left forearm and hand
Clone Wars Embo- long rifle, plastic skirt, cloth skirt
TSC Princess Leia Boussh disguise- helmet
Sidon Ithano- blaster rifle

Assembly Description:
I boiled and popped apart a Bane Malar figure. I removed the helmet, belt holster, lower torso and legs and put them all aside as I did not need them at this time for this project. I then removed the left forearm from the Bane Malar figure. After that I put the left forearm of Jabba's Protocol Droid figure into the left upper arm of the Bane Malar figure. I boiled and popped apart a Miyoom Oonith figure. I also boiled and popped apart a Clone Wars Embo figure. I needed only the plastic skirt and
the cloth skirt of the Embo figure for this project so I put the other parts of Embo aside. I put the Embo plastic skirt onto the Miyoom Oonith lower torso and legs. I put the belt holster from the Indiana Jones figure over the Embo plastic skirt. I then put tne Bane Malar upper torso onto the lower torso and legs of the Miyoom Oonith figure. I used the cloth skirt from the Embo figure as a cape for this custom figure so I put the Embo cloth skirt onto the neck of the Bane Malar figure. I
then put the Boussh helmet (which fit perfectly allowing full range of motion for the helmet) onto the neck of the Bane Malar torso. I gave this now assembled custom Ubese Bounty Hunter figure the long rifle from the Embo figure and the blaster rifle from a Sidon Ithano figure and there you have it, an all new no paint kit bashed Ubese Bounty Hunter fully poseable action figure.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 11:19:30 PM by I-am-Boba-Fett »

Offline I-am-Boba-Fett

• Brigadier
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2017, 11:08:24 PM »
Starchaser, you got your entry posted just before me as I was typing my entry's information. Well played, well played  :)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 11:17:29 PM by I-am-Boba-Fett »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2017, 04:49:59 AM »
Wow, now that is the way to start! Two great entries. I like both customs. I will share Starchasers today and IABF's tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing you two!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 02:48:37 AM »
I am Boba Fett is on the front page for todays custom challenge focus. I do like that Bounty Hunter.

Offline Forceflow

• Ensign
  • Droid, please!
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 06:18:59 PM »
Nice work, guys. I'll be joining you shortly; just gotta sort through the pics.

Fett, I get a definite vintage vibe from yours. At first, I thought it was built out of old Kenner parts.

Offline I-am-Boba-Fett

• Brigadier
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2017, 11:15:36 AM »
I am Boba Fett is on the front page for todays custom challenge focus. I do like that Bounty Hunter.

Thank you very much for that Tamer! It feels good to be back on the front page again. Thank you also for hosting this fun custom challenge!

Offline I-am-Boba-Fett

• Brigadier
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2017, 11:21:15 AM »
Nice work, guys. I'll be joining you shortly; just gotta sort through the pics.

Fett, I get a definite vintage vibe from yours. At first, I thought it was built out of old Kenner parts.

Forceflow,  Thank you for the compliment on my custom Ubese Bounty Hunter figure.  I really like how this custom kit bashed figure turned out. Can't wait to check out your entry once it's posted.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 11:29:11 AM by I-am-Boba-Fett »

Offline Forceflow

• Ensign
  • Droid, please!
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2017, 05:45:58 PM »
AGENT MULDAR  First Order Security Bureau

Aux Muldar is a special agent of the First Order Security Bureau (FOSB), tasked with anti-smuggling and narcotics investigations. His affinity for non-human cultures and languages makes him an asset to the Bureau in dealing with underworld cartels. While his peers deride him as an "alien lover", First Order command recognizes the practicality of blending in.

Parts
  • Head/torso/upper legs: Star Wars The Black Series Imperial Navy Commander
  • Arms/lower legs/jacket: Star Wars Comic Packs Legacy #2 Cade Skywalker
  • Rebreather: G.I. Joe Rise of Cobra The Doctor
  • Tubing/belt pack: fodder

Construction
Heat to swap joints. Dremel to modify joint holes and x-acto knife for accessories. Super glue to adhere mask, tubing, belt box.

It wasn't easy, but I resisted the urge to paint! Looking over a few WIPs on my table, I saw how many already had paint applied, even sparingly. Working in all black made it much easier. I'm a big fan of using like colors whenever possible, and black always looks good.

In the future, I could add some weathering and repaint the shoulder pad. All told, 90% of the construction was swapping parts from two figures. In my opinion, Cade was put to good use; he was creepy, and not in a good way. I'll have to find a use for his goofy head!

P.S. if the collage image violates the 4 images rule (since I have the big main image), I will happily revise and resubmit. Just thought I'd include a couple different views.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 04:01:34 AM by Forceflow »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2017, 02:10:37 AM »
Wow, sweet bash. Off to share the latest!

Now that looks fantastic on the front pages. I was even able to recognize a few of those parts before I read your parts list.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 02:29:58 AM by Tamer »