Author Topic: Spoiler Alert: Rogue One!  (Read 5526 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Spoiler Alert: Rogue One!
« on: May 18, 2016, 08:39:24 AM »
Talk about some fantastic images that went with that great new visual guide I just posted about. Remember spoiler alert!

Once again here is the link on Amazon.com to preorder the book:

http://amzn.to/24ZSq8Z

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: Spoiler Alert: Rogue One!
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2016, 07:59:50 PM »
Awesome! Those new fighters are pretty cool the TIE looks like a TIE predator. That droid really does look like iron giant. That cat looking guy is interesting. Can't wait till I see it.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2016, 08:17:02 AM »
  Here's a few images and details on the Rogue One ships. http://io9.gizmodo.com/star-wars-is-adding-some-gorgeous-new-ships-for-rogue-o-1783721583
That shuttle looks a whole lot like Kylo Ren's.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2016, 04:42:31 AM »
Too bad that new AT-ACT isn't what Hasbro based their version off of.

Offline Rezikai

• Lieutenant
  • Drawing Star Wars comics since 1986!
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 07:08:58 AM »
Too bad that new AT-ACT isn't what Hasbro based their version off of.

wait...  they didn't? What did they base it off of then? I was thinking of getting at least 1 or more (you know my love for AT-ATs).

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 07:56:13 AM »

wait...  they didn't? What did they base it off of then? I was thinking of getting at least 1 or more (you know my love for AT-ATs).

It is similar, but when they added the nerf firiing feature, the walking option, and seeing it at their booth after they showcased it during their panel it looks nothing like this better version.

Offline Mandalore25

• Colonel
  • For Mandalore!
    • DarthArmoressCustoms
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 10:23:23 PM »
Well I saw the movie, and would like to share, and discuss my thoughts in the spoiler section for I'd like to go in detail.

First off I really enjoyed this movie, even surprising myself, for I'm pretty vocal about how much I HATED The Force Awakens, with many continuity errors, flawed logic, and poor/lazy writing. However Rogue One has very few continuity errors, mostly not self made (like by the movie itself), but from other things that are still a part of Disney cannon that weren't fallowed. Such as Kaiburr crystals used by the jedi were harvested on the planet Ilum, where in the movie they said it was a Whills temple (a beautiful reference by the way), but strongly implied it was a known jedi symbol, even going as far as to say they destroyed the last symbol of the jedi. Now this more just a point that could easily be explained, but any avid Star Wars fan should catch this.

Now the writing is also quite superior, my bet is simply more thought, and time was put into it, where TFA was rather rushed. Now for example dues ex machina was not used to further the plot, and really seemed to only be used once. Where it cuts out such things in it's writing only mild continuity errors, and not necessarily flawed in which the can no longer fix, forcing the audience to just go with it, there are some things that just don't make seance. From the beginning, why did the Death Troopers not have even simple life detection scanners like found on R2-D2? I know it's like "Why couldn't they build a boat on Gilligan's Island?", and in episode 4 the life detection equipment was large, but simple logic would be one is for like in the vicinity, and the other through thick hauls of a ship? On Jedha the make a jump to hyperspace while still in the planetary atmosphere, yes they do this in an episode of The Clone Wars, but it doesn't turn out well. This could be Disney simply changing the rules, and there is no use applying the real world science. The next one is pretty important as this one little ring put a shield around an entire planet, why didn't the Death Star Have one, and why did the 2nd Death Star need the shield to be generated from the moon of Endor? Oh, this was second continuity error, not things that didn't make sense, but pint still stands. Last is why is Leia in the battle? She was supposed to be getting Obi-wan, as said before the battle was launched, I suppose it could have been the fleet was scrambled, and she got taken in with the waves, but think of how dangerous that would be to take a member of a royal family, and member of the imperial senate to a loose all battle? Then if she had the plans, and knew it why go to to Tatooine? How they were fallowed out of hyperspace is another thing, but wouldn't the plans being safe be more important? How about the treads on that Tank? Talk about something completely non-syfy, seemed out of place to me, well at least from the bottom. It doesn't make sense how it wouldn't hover in a Star Wars movie, especially over even ground, luckily the walker came in. Last is more director vision I suppose, but notice accents are now in Star Wars, there are no accents in Star Wars, granted in the EU books there were, but in a movie that's hard to justify, for now you need to classify where they are from, and from then on all with that accent have to be from the same place. Again like TFA this movie is not written for the fans but for the masses, and majority will not care for any of these points.

Some more thoughts, and bits about the movie. In the new continuity the empire is no longer speciesist, but pretty heavily weighing on everyone across the galaxy, where as in the EU they were very heavy on non-Humans, not to say humans weren't oppressed to an extent, but this makes it so a the Rebel Alliance should have showed up much sooner, why 19 years? Also as seen on episode 3, they thought the empire was to be something great "This is how liberty dies, with thunderous applause", wouldn't you keep that image? Why mess with the commoners when ignorance is bliss? Just count the numbers, population of a galaxy (sense all are being oppressed) against an still Human only military? Voluntary joined up military at that, not drafted, the empire wouldn't be able to keep control. Although Star Wars was never good at numbers, one million clones defended the Republic (156,000 stormed the beaches of Normandy to put things in perspective). Next is more nitpicky in this movie, but the larger concept is annoying with Disney redefining the force, aspects can be seen in this movie, with "Trust in the Force". In the original Star Wars "May the force be with is was coined by Lucas to mean good Luck, not as a spiritual, or religious belief as it's made out to be, with it's constancy in this movie. This also means the general public knows more about the force than Lucas ever even implied, ergo Han in episode 4 should have been more receptive to Obi-wan talking to Luke about the force. Not believing, but knew about it, especially when he goes to say he's been all over the galaxy, and never come across it. Being more a question, why would Darth Vader's castle in what is now the cannon location be what clearly looks like Mustafar? The place where he lost most of his humanity, and believed he killed Padme, a bit weird. The new fighter designs, were kind of cool, seem meaningless, along with the new trooper designs, seems like a way to sell new merchandise to me. Ship designs especially as under Disney they can easily maneuver around in an atmosphere, so shouldn't a TIE fighter? I also miss the prologue, but I guess it's ok not to have it.

Seems like a lot of bad, but I think the problems are just more complex to describe. However most aren't huge, nor plot holes, heck it actually made episodes 4-6 make more sense. Like why there was such a simple fatal flaw in the Death Star Design, why the first Death Star took 19 years to complete where 2nd twice as big Death Star took a max possibility of 4 years (where's all the Kaiburr for that one from?), and why Leia just happened to be by Tatooine (well, to some extent). The feel was better, probably just the more iconic things to see grounding it in Star Wars, where again TFA failed to mix old, and new. Such as seeing Tarkin again, was happy to see him, though might have been too much, for his face isn't going to age well. Vader was even the cool Vader that seemed lost in the EU, in the fight scene he started as the stalking around Vader seen in 4-6 doing nothing special, but then it was like he was teasing everyone as he unleashes himself upon them. Personally I don't like music, never have, but in Rogue One it felt more like something of a Lucas made Star Wars. Sadly I didn't find it the War Movie we were promised, but just a non-Skywalker tale about the war with the Empire. Not as dark, nor gritty as they originally built up to be, but what do you expect from Disney? Overall definitely a step in the right direction, and shows that Disney can handle the franchise to some extent anyway, something for me personally to have some hope in the future of Star Wars, for honesty if I hated it that would have been the end for me, but it can have more chances now, I look forward to the Boba Fett movie. However if you like the new cannon, there are decent books, I don't think they're necessarily bad per say, just not as deep, nor complex as the Expanded Universe, for they're written for mass appeal, not zealous fans.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2016, 03:36:59 AM »
I agree with many points here. I will share a few when I let it settle a bit more.

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 04:20:12 PM »
I love this movie.
Seen it three times now and it's still growing on me.
Yes, there are some minor imperfections like no intro crawl, a Star Destroyer in the atmosphere on Jedha and a couple of moments I'd have done differently, BUT I don't care.
I love this movie.
It would have made a great miniseries, too.
There's so much left to be explored like Jyn's time as a Rebel fighter/terrorist in Saw Gerrera's cell, Cassian's backstory and so forth.

I like the different, dark, gritty perspective of the Alliance.
On Yavin IV some Council members actually suggest to disband the Rebel fleet and surrender.
One claims that the Rebellion is finished...not really fully forged into this Alliance we meet in Ep. V and VI and surely not as morally clean.
General Draven orders Cassian to kill Galen Erso. Just to be certain.
And you actually believe he would pull the trigger after you've seen him shoot his informant in the back, because he'd not escape and surely would talk under pressure by the Imperials.

I especially enjoy the absence of Jedi.
What is done in order to capture the Death Star plans is done by a group of determined people who do not use mystical powers. They volunteer for a mission after the Rebellion has pretty much folded.
They scramble equipment, Cassian calls for everything that isn't nailed down, shanghai the shuttle and go on a rogue mission fully aware of the fact that they might not return.
But they know they have to do it to save not the Rebellion, but the Galaxy from submission to the Empire.
And they pay the ultimate price.
No glory, no medals like that farmboy who at that time is wanting to hang out with his friends at Toshe Station.

Can you tell that Rogue One has become my favorite Star Wars movie in no time?
It has.
And now give me a Republic Commando standalone movie.
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2016, 03:29:16 AM »
I agree I liked it too. It kinds of reminds me of Dirty Dozen meets Star Wars. I know it was gonna happen as it had to for the story line, but I was left feeling ticked everyone bought it at the end. I wanted to see Han and Chewy show up, heck maybe even with Han in a TIE Fighter and ask Jyn and Cassian if they needed a ride. Still, I know it had to happen for the continuity so I can't gripe much.

About the only other gripe I had was the fact that the new troopers seemed kinda unnecessary in the form of the Hovertank Pilots, the Scarif Troopers, the Deathtroopers, etc. I mean, I can see doing variants of Stormtroopers or TIE Pilots or AT-AT or AT-ST Drivers, but this felt like a straight marketing ploy to me to sell more stuff. I for one thought it looked ridiculous to see those new AT-ATs have different pilots than what we are used to with the OTC. Instead of doing new Troopers altogether I think it would have been smarter to do variants on already established Imperial Troopers. Just my opinion and I know it is probably in the minority.

My daughter asked my why Leia's head was so big at the end, but I was so glad to see her and Tarkin that I can forgive the not so great CGI work on em. I for one thought using the footage of the Rebel Pilot Leaders from ANH was fantastic. It gave me the chills to hear them send in their call signs again. And where in the heck was lock all spoils in attack positions! I was getting ready to yell when I heard that, but alas no classic line.

I also found myself really liking the new Mon Cal Admiral too. I was kinda hoping he could have jumped out in time too. Still, I know it had to be an epic battle where the Rebels barely made it away with the goods and thats exactly what it was so kudos to the folks on that one.

I also absolutely loved how they showed Vader. Talk about a scene that gave me the chills at the end where its dark in the corridor and the Rebel Troops are getting ready to fend off the assault only to see Vader light up his saber and scare the heck out of the Rebs. I thought that first rebels face was spot on with what I would have done seeing that show up out of the dark. They just did Vader perfectly. I mean spot on! Even the voice I thought was great. I loved seeing his citadel on Mustafar too.

I thought the space battle at the end was well done. Seeing what looked to be thousands of TIEs pouring out was just fantastic. I will be honest I kinda thought meh as I saw the new TIE Stryker in action as I was quite satisfied with regular TIEs, Bombers, etc. and felt some of those new ships classes were forced on us from a merchandising perspective too. I totally get it, but once again thought it might have been better to give us variants on already established vehicle classes rather than give us new vehicles entirely. That being said, seeing Blue Squadron for the Rebels I thought was fantastic. I really liked the leader of that one and kept saying man I hope you don't buy it, but alas I knew that was not to be too. In a way with everyone buying it was almost like watching a Japanese film, you just know everyone is gonna die and the folks who love each other are not getting together. Of course that is just me wanting a happy ending for all my movies, but the ole Empire I know has to win a few.

After going back through this it seems I have more whines that pros, but I really did enjoy this. More so than the Force Awakens truth be told. I thought it was a wonderful bridge to A New Hope. I am left hoping there is enough timeline there to give us another movie there right before ANH. Heck, I am hoping maybe we can even see new stand alone films between the other OT movies. Anyone up for an Episode 5.5, I know I would be! I will definitely be seeing this again in the theaters before it leaves so for me that is something I normally never do so it means its good!
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 03:33:26 AM by Tamer »

Offline krztfr

• Colonel
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2016, 07:48:23 PM »
My only gripe would be a camo of Ponda Bobba and Dr. Whatshisname...really not needed and I didn't care enough to laugh at the joke. And just for comformation we did see Jan inside a Thunder tank right?

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2016, 07:43:46 AM »
I saw it yesterday and I was damn impressed with the whole movie. My brother and I were talking about it and they should have more Star Wars Stories like this as there is a lot of one of stories they can do.

For me it was SW plan and simple, it told a story it had a plot and there was heaps of action so all in all it is simply a awesome action movie.

Ron

Offline DaBooma

• Ensign
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2016, 08:54:44 AM »
It was a bit disappointing.

I think it was over-hyped by the trailers.. and it felt like 90% of what was shown in them, was absent in the movie.

I was hoping to see Forrest Whitaker's speech to someone--Jyn(?), "What will you do if they break you? If you continue to fight... What will you become?"

I wanted to see Jyn confront the tie fighter on the cat walk. I was dying to see it.

I was expecting Jyn's speech to Mon Mothma, "This is a rebellion isn't it? I rebel."

More of Kenrick to Vader's dialogue talking about ".. the power we are dealing with here" referencing the Death Star. And Kenrick walking on to the beach from the ocean on Scarif.

Even the Bistan scenes.. gone.

I think they could have completely cut out Brodi as a character all together and focused more on Chirrat and Malbus. The two most interesting characters in the movie.

I liked them attempting to bring back Tarkin and young Leia via CGI.. it took a bit getting used to.. but they should have stuck with non CGI Mon Calamari characters... use old school masks and animatronics.

Oh well.. hopefully they will have an extended cut with more scenes in the DVD/BR.

All in all.. the movie was just ok.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2016, 12:54:19 PM »
 Liked it. I thought it was good. I watched it during the day in a theater no one goes to, so that made it better. I like that it wasn't packed with memberberries. A few here and there, but not as much as TFA.  I went into it with great pessimism, just like with TFA. I really wasn't thrilled with the trailers.
  It wasn't as dark and grim as everyone says. Meybe I'm used to pretty dark movies.

It was a good Star Wars movie, and a decent war movie in general. I think you could watch this without ever having seen  Star Wars, and still appreciate it. Meybe not to it's fullest extent, but it is a stand alone movie.
  As for the TIE striker, for as much hype it generated, you only get a few short glimpses. The Death Troopers and Scarif troopers were forgettable. But they were a good contrast among all the Stormtroopers. At the same time it's good the new troopers and vehicles didn't steal the show. 
  I like the mixture of new and old aliens. Warrick davis played that little ugnaught looking dude, that was cool, he played Wicket the ewok in ROTJ, as well as other background characters throughout the saga. I like the Rebels references, I actually appreciate rebels more now.  Of course I liked the cool OT rebel fleet/ships.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2016, 05:31:22 PM by JDeck »

Offline Darth Optimus

• Devourer of brownies
  • Brigadier
  • What I lack in skill, I make up for in creativity.
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2016, 03:01:05 PM »
I loved this movie, start to badass finish.  Is it perfect?  No, but I'm not gonna nitpick it...I've moved past that stage in my fandom.

While I enjoyed watching the Prequel Trilogy and TFA in the theaters, this is the SW 'verse of my youth.  Here are my thoughts -

I expected Tarkin to be in it but was surprised he was an actual, integral character.  The CGI was slightly off-putting (uncanny valley-style), but seeing him onscreen (and ruthless) more than made up for it.  The inclusion of Leia at the end was a surprise, and slightly more off-putting than Tarkin. 

On the flipside, the inclusion of both Red and Gold Leaders from ANH was totally unexpected and super-cool.  I cheered when they showed up during the Battle of Scarif.  Speaking of Scarif - that kinda explains why the Rebel forces were so few during the Battle of Yavin...they'd just been hammered to bits.

The Y-Wings put in a good amount of work during the Battle of Scarif, which was cool to see other fighter-types get some action besides the X-Wings.  Sure, we'd had A-Wings and B-Wings do work before, along with Y-Wings, but the X-Wings were always the star of the show.  We also got to see ion torpedoes used to devastating effect for the first time on-screen.  And the Hammerhead Corvette!  AND THEN THEY KILLED A STAR DESTROYER WITH ANOTHER STAR DESTROYER!

And then there's Darth Vader!  Vader's scene at the hallway was just...awesome.  He was the unstoppable murder machine we all knew he could be.  Also, we got to see (what I assume to be) Castle Bast!  Some folks say that the bacta tank scene was unnecessary.  I disagree.  He's trying to heal himself to rid himself of the machinery keeping him alive.  He is seen doing similar in his meditation sphere in ESB and at several points in the old EU.  It's cool to see that as a continuing effort.

Lastly, I believe that although not a Jedi, Chirrut Imwe was indeed at least slightly Force-sensitive and could tap in to it.  Just my 2 cents on that matter.