Author Topic: Finished a 21" X-Wing maquette w/ lights 'n stuff!  (Read 2184 times)

Offline TheBoo

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
Finished a 21" X-Wing maquette w/ lights 'n stuff!
« on: May 14, 2016, 08:54:40 AM »
Hey all!

Well, I finished my X-wing! This one was a lot of fun, but cramming everything in was a bit of a pain. Not sure what the next project will be, might not be another maquette since the wife wants a full-size Tom Servo :D

So, first I started with an F/X X-wing from 1996. I took it apart, and started cutting. I had to take out the switches and slides, then patch the holes and greeblie it up. I was going off photos of the original shooting model.

I had to be careful with the order of operations, so I wouldn't back myself in a corner 10 steps later. I wired in concave high-output LEDS for the engines.

After that, I started fabricating the wing assemblies to get the proper hollow wing look. I also made scratch side panels for the length of the nose.

After that, it was time to base paint, run the rest of the electronics, fiber optics, and get to work on a scratch dash display and target computer. Running the fiber to R2's dome was a pain :D

That brought me to the painting, and weathering. Lots and lots of passes, and a hot iron to make some of the blaster damage.

Then came wiring up the power box. I went with a utility switch for this one, instead of the sleek lit angel eye for the Interceptor.  I like the idea of the switch matching the worn utility of Rebellion hardware...

So, more touchups, adjustments, then it all came together! I'll step away from it for awhile so I can get fresh eyes on it.  I post WIP pics to my Instagram account all the time! https://www.instagram.com/booyotch/

« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 09:00:51 AM by TheBoo »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Finished a 21" X-Wing maquette w/ lights 'n stuff!
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 04:48:43 AM »
Wow, this is fantastic! So gonna share and try to leave some better comments later. This looks so great with your TIE too.

Offline Foxtrot Delta

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2016, 11:59:33 AM »
That X Wing is Amazing Boo, really like how the wings look with the hollow details, Great Work!

Offline TheBoo

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2016, 06:53:00 PM »
Thanks!  yeah, i remember waffling on the idea, almost didn't do it. but i was 3 beers in and I was feeling lazy. Started on them the next day :D

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2016, 02:03:48 AM »
3 beers! Thats all? LOL, so glad you made it. It is gorgeous!

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2016, 03:16:41 AM »
WOW I can't belive I didn't see this before it's awesome.

Ron

Offline TheClosetjedi

• Ensign
  • 3d printing Rules!
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2016, 05:26:41 AM »
Awesome, Thinking of doing something really simmilar. How hard is it to rig a switch and put it on a stand without having to completely dissasmble the xwing. I have the same xwing and was thinking about 3d printing the base to look like the trench run.

Offline TheBoo

• Cadet
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 02:26:07 PM »
Well, I just run the power out through a cable, into the battery box and just put the switch in there. I have a speeder where I put the battery in the ship itself, but it's WAY easier to just run it externally. And by using a battery pack, you can put it wherever.

The stand is just a CCTV mount.