Author Topic: Clonehead's dioramas  (Read 77833 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Clonehead's dioramas
« Reply #165 on: April 14, 2009, 04:15:16 PM »
Simply outstanding Clint. Definitely top ten from your great custom list.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #166 on: April 14, 2009, 04:18:14 PM »
Simply outstanding Clint. Definitely top ten from your great custom list.
thanks buddy. It must be good if it is in the top ten. They will only get better, I'm hoping.

Remember, I have those two recent diorama brownies to work on.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #167 on: April 14, 2009, 04:36:40 PM »
I just kicked off the contest to win the Mando and his dio, here . Good luck!!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 07:13:03 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #168 on: April 15, 2009, 09:26:27 AM »
Here is the little dio that I'm working on to go with the CW incinerator trooper. My plan is to make this a dark rocky surfaced scene reminiscent of Mustifar except without the lava. After I peeled the parimeter tape off, I used white glue to tack on some aquariem gravel pieces around the outside edges of the groundwork.
Like before, I started out with a very watered down flat black to coat all of the groundwork. After this has dried, I will drybrush the rocks with a lighter color. In the past, when I drybrush is when the groundwork starts to look convincing. Hopefully this one will look as good as the Ryloth dio.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #169 on: April 15, 2009, 09:27:19 AM »
One more shot in the sunlight prior to drybrushing the groundwork.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #170 on: April 15, 2009, 12:51:58 PM »
looks good to me already.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #171 on: April 15, 2009, 02:15:55 PM »
looks good to me already.
TY! I ended up using two different colors to drybrush the details on this one. First, I used a dark grey and then the lighter brown from the contest mando's undercoverings. Turned out just like I thought it would. When I went to stain, I noticed some wood sap seepage that kind of messed with the stain finish on a couple of sides.
Final reveal pics are coming, tonight.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #172 on: April 15, 2009, 05:25:55 PM »
As promised, here are some final reveal pics of the dark planet dio and some with the CW incinerator trooper.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #173 on: April 15, 2009, 05:30:07 PM »
A few more shots with the skinny incinerator trooper. You know, working on this dark dio has givin me an idea for a little Mustifar dio. I'm even thinking about breaking out the Fluorescent Paint again for some UV glowing lava.......

I am going to post some more pics of this dio and the figure in my customs section.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #174 on: April 15, 2009, 05:33:57 PM »
Man, the way you are cranking em out now I don't know if I will ever catch up when I get back to updating the customs and diorama threads.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #175 on: April 15, 2009, 05:44:11 PM »
Man, the way you are cranking em out now I don't know if I will ever catch up when I get back to updating the customs and diorama threads.
I have been thinking that for several days now, buddy, but didn't want to say anything. :-[
I love that shot with him sitting cross legged. That might be a good shot for the FP, when the time comes.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #176 on: April 29, 2009, 07:12:16 AM »
Knowing that I'm going to miss the desert dio that will leave when it's time to give the contest mando away, I figured that I would do another one for my desert ops RC figure to stand on. I had already made this dio when I made the CW incinerator dio but haven't gotten around to painting it, till now.

as before, I removed the parameter tape that held in the diorama snow while it was drying, cut shorter the piece of protruding tie wire that will serve as a figure foot peg, and applied a wash of the same watered down yellow paint that Ii used for the contest mando's dio.

Next, I will do some detail painting on the rocks, glue in the sprigs of desert grass, and glue on some more rocks to the outside parameter of the groundwork.

Don't forget, you only have till the end of this month to get your entry in for the contest mando and his desert  dio.
Here is a link to the contest.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 07:15:10 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #177 on: April 29, 2009, 08:05:06 AM »
looks good. How do you keep the paint off the wood edges? I would assume there is some overspray with the airbrush?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #178 on: April 29, 2009, 08:21:56 AM »
looks good. How do you keep the paint off the wood edges? I would assume there is some overspray with the airbrush?
Thanks Tamer! Now I thought that you had been paying attention.........................as you will remember, I covered the entire top side of the wood plaque with clear packing tape prior to putting on the wet groundwork. The first purpose of this act was to keep the groundwork's water out of the wood, the second purpose, is to keep the finished edges of the wood clean until I cut and strip the tape off of those areas prior to staining that exposed edge.

I am hand brushing this color on, buddy. I still haven't re aquainted my self with my airbrush, yet.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #179 on: April 29, 2009, 08:47:53 AM »
I remember you tapeing up the edges, but man the thought of handpainting all those small details, I should have known it was done that way by you!