Imperial Creative Engineering > Custom Vehicles

Restoration of Star Wars Vehicles: completing AT-TEs with original parts

<< < (3/8) > >>

Darth More:
@ Jaeger45: Thanks mate! You will definitely see the mold and all the how-to! Lately I worked with very thin parts! I even made Cad Bane's hat in resin! I will make the Y-Wing canopy and I will try the X-Wing canopy, too!

@ tetsuoswrath: Cheers mate! Unfortunately it is not possible for me to mold and cast an entire vehicle like the Y-Wing with my possibilities...you could probably do that with a 3D-Printer though...

@ Tamer: I guess so, Shawn! Me too and I can't wait to show you more!

Darth More:
Last week I started working on a new project...

Star Wars Episode I - TPM Naboo Flash Speeder from 1999

With this example I would like to show you how:

- you can get rid of color scratches and stains
- remove color from parts that have already painted with acrylic or oil-based paints

I got this Speeder twice. Both were pretty cheap since they were loose, used and one of them has already been painted before...

As you can see in the pictures below this one here had some stains and scratches:

Again, I cut a piece of a "Magic Eraser" by Mr Clean, wetted it with water and removed the scratches by softly rubbing across the stains. Make sure to not rub too hard. Otherwise the original paint will be removed too since these sponges are quite rough.
By the way: Do not use them on your car! It will leave further micro scratches. Don't ask why I know this...

You can buy those "magic erasers" in every store with household goods or order them online (e.g. on Amazon):

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Clean-Magic-Eraser-Original/dp/B0071SCSO0/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1486846713&sr=8-3&keywords=magic+eraser

Interesting to note is the fact that the packaging says: "Made in Germany" and "Packed in the USA". I have never seen a print like this before. In fact these Magic Erasers by Mr Clean are not available here in Germany. This might be due to European restrictions. As far as I know they contain chlorine elements, but I know exactly why they are not sold here.
You can get them quite cheap for what you can achieve with them! I cleaned my host dad's entire boat with them before he sold it! It did a lot of magic on it! What you can get here though are unbranded "Cleaning Sponges" sold by certain chains. I tried them and can tell they are as good as the ones by Mr Clean!

And here is the result:

The second Speeder was perfect to show you how effectively you can remove paint from your figures/vehicles with disinfectant!

This is how the painted one looked before:

Especially the inside was painted with a lot of paint! I would like to repaint the Speeder completely without loosing detail. So I had to remove all the paint:

You can take a bowl and let your parts sit in disinfectant depending on how much you have. Or you can just take a paper towel/kitchen paper and soak up the desinfectant with it. Leave the wet towel on the painted areas for about half an hour. Then you can easily remove the paint with an old (tooth) brush, your fingernails and/or a tooth pick. On this part I tried all of these options because I could not remove all the paint with just one method.

A friend of mine who is a fan of Warhammer by Games Workshop told me this trick!
So I knew disinfectant can remove acrylic paints by Citadel or Vallejo, but I did not know that it can even remove paints by Revell or humbrol...and a stunning story is that it doesn't remove the original paint that Hasbro uses!

Next I will repaint the second Speeder that was painted before.
You can see the result by following the link to my other topic:

http://www.imperialshipyards.net/SMF/index.php?topic=10165.15

Tamer:
Looks good. Off to share the info.

Darth More:
@ Tamer: Thanks a lot! That was quick!

FialaFernbrugg:
These are some very helpful tips and tricks.
Thank you for sharing.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version