Author Topic: Clonehead's dioramas  (Read 78308 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Clonehead's dioramas
« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2009, 07:49:46 AM »
Is that a mix of airborne and atte gunner (rots) helmet? Looks good! I love the looks of the mini dio base too.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2009, 08:02:00 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2009, 08:06:10 AM »
Is that a mix of airborne and atte gunner (rots) helmet? Looks good! I love the looks of the mini dio base too.
  That is just the atte gunner's helmet cover slipped over the airborne helmet. I wonder if  i could mold that little piece. Thanks on the dio. I didn't use many rocks on that one but the drybrushing on the groundwork makes it appear that some rocks are poking out. 
  Tamer,Your posts always manage to make the page switch. I will have to dig up some more dio pics to color this page up.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2009, 10:17:18 AM »
I found some more pics of the clone general diorama to post.
  In the first shot, you can see some light footprints that I put into the woodland scenics snow while the white glue/water mix that serves as the snows fixative was still wet.
  The next three shots show that same dio with a Vader and Snowtrooper fig posed to get Tamer's hothy side itching.
I found a few in-production shots of this dio and will show them next.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #93 on: January 16, 2009, 05:42:43 PM »
Sweet stuff Clint. That pic of that snowtroop by himself coming down over that dio look extremely realistic. 

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2009, 07:31:13 PM »
I like it, I strive for realism in my stuff and have to say the snow looks dead on and snow isn't easy to do

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2009, 09:44:19 PM »
Much thanks guys! I got another one going where a disabled destroyer droid will be partially buired in the snow. As soon as I get my latest snow camo fig done, I will finish the dio up. Perhaps I should go grab it and snap some pics.....
  Actually, with some practice, this woodland scenics snow is fairly simple to get looking good. Tamer will know when he gets his hothy dio going.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #96 on: January 18, 2009, 09:23:20 AM »
As promised, I took a few shots of this in-production snow dio that will feature a dead destroyer droid partially covered with snow. Here, the inital layer of snow had been applied and I have mounted a destroyer droid from the waist up onto the dio with wire and super glue. The head isn't on the droid in the first few shots.
  In the one shot, you can see part of what makes up the dio's base and framework. As with some other dios, I used a couple of plastic figure bases, glued together with pieces of coated tie wire drilled and glued into these bases to make a wire frame. Then a thin layer of craft foam was cut around and glued over the framework.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 04:49:15 PM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #97 on: January 18, 2009, 09:28:12 AM »
the snow in the first layer seems a little dirty problably from the handling of the dio while mounting the droid body.
  This will clean up when I add the second layer. I have posed my snow camo scorch in a couple of the shots and introduced the droid's head in one of them. I may end up mounting the droid's head tilted to one side or something.
After the second layer of snow is applied, only half of what you see of the droid will be exposed.
  I intend for this dio to be the new home of that snow camo fig that I am working on in the customs thread.

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #98 on: January 22, 2009, 03:20:30 PM »
Turned out great, the depth is very nice and I liek the fact you add extras into the piece, rather than just a base for a figure.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #99 on: January 22, 2009, 04:19:24 PM »
Turned out great, the depth is very nice and I liek the fact you add extras into the piece, rather than just a base for a figure.
Thanks buddy! I'll see if I can't finish this one up in the next week or two.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #100 on: January 24, 2009, 08:01:30 AM »
Got some in production shots here of a couple of the dios that I have shown so you can see their beginnings.
first shot......Here, I have glued two figure stands together and am drilling holes to accept the wire framework.
second shot.....Here are the base and framework combos that will make two different dios. on the oone that I am holding, you can see the vertical spires that some of the wires terminate into.
third shot.....Here, I have traced and am cutting some thin craft foam to glue onto the wire framework to serve as the primary foam base. See how I cut around the figure base and have pre cut holes for the vertical wires to pass through. These vertical wires are what help support the upper layer of foam groundwork.
fourth shot........here the two dios have had their groundwork layer of foam added and one has been covered with tissue soaked in water and white glue.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 08:04:36 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #101 on: January 24, 2009, 08:10:23 AM »
Here are the beginnings of the clone wars general snow dio where I used the base from the AOTC C3P0 and Battle Droid in the droid factory set.
  First shot....I am drilling those framework wires in again.
Second shot....this was before I started using that thin foam as a primary layer and here, I have just built up the groundwork with random foam chunks supported by the wire and lots of white glue.
third shot......shot from above of the foam groundwork prior to the soaked tissue layer.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #102 on: January 24, 2009, 08:13:16 AM »
Two more shots  of that one.
first shot, here is the dio wearing its layer of tissue soaked in water and white glue.
Second shot.......here is what it looked like after the woodland scenics snow dried but before I added the hacked up SBD. "I wired him onto the dio, you see"

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #103 on: January 24, 2009, 08:17:50 AM »
I found some close up shots from a couple of the completed green dios where you can see the details a little better.
  In that last shot, I have posed some of my 1/35th scale plastic model German WW2 figures in the dio to see how their scale looks with the foilage. Yep, I painted and assembled those guys as well. They are around half the size of a SW figure. See the strap on the one figure's rifle? That's the sort of customizing I would do to those figures back before I even thought of customizing a SW figure.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2009, 08:21:29 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #104 on: January 27, 2009, 07:50:56 AM »
I really like the looks of the snow base with the metal decking on it. I would love to be able to do something similar for my large dio if I ever get around to it. Man that woodland scene look realistic as usual too. As usual for you Clint!