Author Topic: Clonehead's dioramas  (Read 76902 times)

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: Clonehead's dioramas
« Reply #105 on: January 27, 2009, 08:08:44 AM »
thanks buddy! I guess that they did have some decking spread out over the snow in echo base, didn't they.
  You know, I always had wanted to do a hoth trench dio. I think that would be a lot of fun. I have one of the radar dish cannons but need to get one of those Target UBP gun towers. I guess I could do it in mini unleashed form. That would be fairly easy.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #106 on: January 27, 2009, 08:11:12 AM »
I think your first full scale dio should be Hothy! When you coming to WV?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #107 on: January 27, 2009, 08:21:08 AM »
   You supply the walkers and the ding-dongs and I will supply the dio making materiel.
Uh, you guys got a hottub, right? ;D

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #108 on: January 28, 2009, 10:54:33 AM »
   You supply the walkers and the ding-dongs and I will supply the dio making materiel.

My brother does! I have plenty of walkers and we can work on the ding dongs! Man wouldn't that be awesome! I would love to get the Yarders together here sometime, would love it if it meant my dio get off the designing stage too. Ah, dream little dreams.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #109 on: January 28, 2009, 11:44:44 AM »

My brother does! I have plenty of walkers and we can work on the ding dongs! Man wouldn't that be awesome! I would love to get the Yarders together here sometime, would love it if it meant my dio get off the designing stage too. Ah, dream little dreams.
Somehow I doub't that your wifey would be too pleased once we start rolling on the ultimate Hoth dio in your family room.  I'm talking hills, trenches, Ion cannon, the works. I'm sure that your daughter would love it, though.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #110 on: January 30, 2009, 02:45:17 PM »
I had posted about one of these little Tomy SW dio kits over in the model kit review threadand thought I would snap some pics of all 5 of them so you guys could see.
  These little dio kits were produced in 2006 and available only in Japan.
The first shot shows an AOTC slave one in fight through an astroid field.
 the second shot shows Obi's JSF flying through an astroid field.
the third shot shows anikan skywalker on his swoop bike flying in the desert of Tattooine
the fourth shot shows jedi master Yoda in Dooku's hanger."he is about the same size as a Yoda action figure"
« Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 08:45:44 AM by Clonehead »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #111 on: January 30, 2009, 02:49:46 PM »
The first shot shows my favorite lil dio from this line, the equipment carrying gunship flying away from a freshly deployed ATTE. I would like to modify one of those new gunship Model kits to look like this.
The second shot shows all 5 kits assembled ontop of my dvd rack. These kits are pre decorated and not too hard to assemble. I have extra copies of a couple of them if anyone's interested.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #112 on: February 04, 2009, 10:27:30 AM »
Today, I am working to finish the dead destroyer droid snow dio.
Since the added droid headed past the borders of the original dio and I wanted him to be mostly covered with snow, I needed to extend that end of the dio's base to support the snow.
I traced and cut out a piece of the same thin craft foam for the base extension. I then cut a length of 16 ga tie wire and shaped it to connect to the exsisting framework while being at the right elevation to connect to and support the new base foam extension piece. Then I superglued the wire to the exsisting base and glued the new piece of foam in place ontop of the wire. I built up a kind of frame out of the thin craft foam to help support the next tissue layer of grooundwork to the desired elevation.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #113 on: February 04, 2009, 10:35:29 AM »
I have now assembled the materiels that I will use to set the tissue layer and add some more snow.
Woodland scenics scenic cement is essentually white glue and water mixed but more expensive. The great part about using this stuff is that it will leave no glossy sheen to whatever you spray it on as it dries.
Woodland scenics snow is basically shredded foam and is the best materiel that I have found, thus far, to replicate snow.
  The tissue, I am using to build up and shape the groundwork in the area around the droid using the scenic cement as a fixitave. I then sprayed the whole dio, shook on some snow, and then sprayed the dio, again. I probably should have touched up the original layer of snow with paint in the dirty areas, first, but forgot about it. i can do that later, if it is necessary.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2009, 10:49:04 AM »
I can see I might just be able to pull this snow stuff off!

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2009, 11:16:02 AM »
I can see I might just be able to pull this snow stuff off!
It's pretty easy to work with, my friend.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2009, 10:13:35 PM »
While the current layer of snow is drying on this dio, I thought that I would snap a few shots of my custom ATAT driver fig on it before Tamer snatches him away from me.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2009, 10:25:44 PM »
It's time for a blast from the past. Trying to clean up my camera's memory card for my upcoming Florida trip, I came across these pics of some of my first SW snow dioramas.
First is the shadow-box snow dio which I have shown here, before but with an additional snow clone that I did around the same time.
Second is the same snowclone on his own little dio in front of the shadow box dio
third is the same without the shadow box
and 4th is my very first dead droid dio that I made for a snow camo Scorch fig.
And you thought that my current dios were small. Look at these dinkey things. All used some variation of a SW figure base as a base and that was back when I used baking soda for snow.
The one with the ATTE gunner body and AOTC helmet's dio included some pieces of gravel that I picked up out of the driveway and glued on before I applied the snow. I'll bet that I made these at least 3 years ago. Wait, when did ROTS come out?

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2009, 10:29:48 PM »
And here's some more pics of that little dead droid dio with mr snow camo Scorch. The droid was wired to the base prior to the snow application.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #119 on: February 05, 2009, 07:30:33 AM »
looking good!