Author Topic: Galgrebaa Spaceport.  (Read 32036 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: Galgrebaa Spaceport.
« Reply #195 on: August 27, 2021, 01:25:19 PM »
Interesting story about your grandfather. I can definitely see that same spirit in you.

Go for it man!

Yeah dude was badass.
I really need to. I've been wanting to get my licence since I was a kid. About the time I was really getting into it 9/11 happened and all flight schools were shut down, then when things started getting back to normal the economy collapsed. A PPL at that time cost about $3,000 now its $10,000. But the cool thing is, you basically pay as you go. The groundschool isn't bad, but the flight instruction is about $100/hour, so if you're a fast learner it's not too bad, but it's a minimum 40hrs combined. My warehouse is actually right across the street from a flight school.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 02:08:01 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #196 on: August 28, 2021, 06:04:25 AM »
Well I didn't realize it was that expensive, but it would be awesome to be able to fly yourself around. I don't even know what the cost of an aircraft would be either. I assume you just don't rent one of those.

I also don't mean to jack your thread here, but if you start this process I would love to see where it takes you.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #197 on: August 28, 2021, 07:09:44 AM »
Well I didn't realize it was that expensive, but it would be awesome to be able to fly yourself around. I don't even know what the cost of an aircraft would be either. I assume you just don't rent one of those.

I also don't mean to jack your thread here, but if you start this process I would love to see where it takes you.
I might start a thread when I get the ball rolling. I want to pay my car off, build up my savings, before officially starting the process. In the meantime, I need a new computer, so I can take an online groundschool course and practice on a flight simulator. I think something like Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 would help practice, especially with instrument training.  Also I can get Star Wars Squadrons, lol. Wouldn't hurt, that game does look badass though.  Then at the end of the ground course, I take a written and oral test . After that,  I'll have 24 months to complete my training, which really it shouldn't take more than 9 months. Then I'll be certified! Not really that difficult. I already have a decent amount knowledge going in.
Yeah planes are expensive. A standard Cessna 172 new costs about $400,000, but a sport plane  can be as low as $20,000, not out of the realm of possibility.  You can definitely rent a plane, with gas a cessna 172 probably costs around $100/hr.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 04:07:31 AM by JDeck »

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #198 on: August 28, 2021, 12:04:56 PM »
Wow!  Fantastic!

I love these swoop bikes and the whole trash to treasure concept.
I have a box of interesting little greeblies too.
I don’t know whether to be proud or ashamed to say that I recognize a lot of the parts on your construct. 🤓

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #199 on: October 15, 2021, 04:14:05 PM »
Wow!  Fantastic!

I love these swoop bikes and the whole trash to treasure concept.
I have a box of interesting little greeblies too.
I don’t know whether to be proud or ashamed to say that I recognize a lot of the parts on your construct. 🤓

Thank you! I have an embarrassing amount of model kit parts. I'll use some and end up buying incomplete lots or use kits i never put together.

Speaking of trash to treasure, I bought this 3d printed dumpster, and made a dianoga to go inside using epoxy putty and armature wire. I could have scratch built some kind of star warsy dumpster, but with this, you get the idea without explanation. Really I just need to wait for the epoxy to cure then paint. Dianoga is pretty simple to make.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2021, 06:45:16 PM by JDeck »

Offline Don

• Captain
« Reply #200 on: October 15, 2021, 08:16:57 PM »
That's a funny idea! Good way to squeeze a single-scene creature into a big broad diorama.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #201 on: October 16, 2021, 03:07:37 AM »
Now that looks awesome. It will go well in the Spaceport.

Off to share on the front pages.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #202 on: October 16, 2021, 10:44:14 AM »
Nice job sculpting the Dianoga, it looks really good. The dumpster idea is great, and fits really well with your graffiti wall.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #203 on: December 19, 2021, 01:52:51 PM »
I finished the Dianoga dumpster prop. It's a cool little background peice, as well as a main object. I've been procrastinating on this, been doing other things, but it's sunday, no football I really want to watch so I decided to finish my Dianoga.

The Dianoga are an invasive species on Galgrebaa, stowed away on merchant ships, to find homes in sewers and dumpsters.  They feed on organic waste, rodents, other invasive species and small sentient beings such as Jawas, who often scour dumpsters looking for anything they can find to sell. The Galgrebians don't care much for Jawas, so they allow the Dianoga to live among them, feeding on undesirables, until they get big enough to feed on humans.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 08:31:38 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #204 on: December 20, 2021, 08:21:17 AM »
This is fantastic! How could you not have one of these guys in any kind of trash pile. Great work.

Off to the front pages.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #205 on: December 20, 2021, 07:27:27 PM »
This is fantastic! How could you not have one of these guys in any kind of trash pile. Great work.

Off to the front pages.

Thank you! I always wondered why there was a trash monster on the Death Star, so I did some research and it was a stow away. Got me thinking they would be everywhere in spaceports.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #206 on: December 24, 2021, 12:05:44 AM »
First off, I think your skills are a true inspiration! Your vehicle is the definition of what Star Wars when it comes to our thread for Materials we use. I think you did an outstanding job on the design. It reminds me of a WWII Curtiss P-36 Hawk, but still got the total Star Wars feel to it!
And I also like how you made the aluminum dry-brush dull with a wash.

Your dumpster with Dianoga is another cherry on the pie! You did a fantastic job on sculpting that monster. Monster by Lumix comes to mind. It's amazing how much attention to detail you pay on your Spaceport, Sir.
So glad about these Offworld Jawas with softgoods in a darker fabric. I mean the wall is a piece of art already. This is just top notch and I finally got to rest a little to leave this comment here.

I wish you and your family a merry little Christmas, JD. It's been an ongoing great journey this year with much progress! Thanks for sharing your projects with us on here.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 02:05:51 AM by Darth More »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #207 on: December 24, 2021, 06:34:51 AM »
I keep thinking of dumpster fire when I see this, but its dumpster dianoga!

Just a great chuckle gather as well as being a great custom.

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #208 on: December 24, 2021, 04:56:05 PM »
Final presentation of the dumpster is perfect. Another eye catcher

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #209 on: December 24, 2021, 07:50:27 PM »
First off, I think your skills are a true inspiration! Your vehicle is the definition of what Star Wars when it comes to our thread for Materials we use. I think you did an outstanding job on the design. It reminds me of a WWII Curtiss P-36 Hawk, but still got the total Star Wars feel to it!
And I also like how you made the aluminum dry-brush dull with a wash.

Your dumpster with Dianoga is another cherry on the pie! You did a fantastic job on sculpting that monster. Monsterby Lumix comes to mind. It's amazing how much attention to detail you pay on your Spaceport, Sir.
So glad about these Offworld Jawas with softgoods in a darker fabric. I mean the wall is a piece of art already. This is just top notch and I finally got to rest a little to leave this comment here.

I wish you and your family a merry little Christmas, JD. It's been an ongoing great journey this year with much progress! Thanks for sharing your projects with us on here.

Thank you, and I hope you are having a merry Christmas as well. That music video is pretty cool. That's kind of what im going for in a way, just more gritty.
I like the swoop bike too, with the ww2 look. I like the ww2 analog, mechanical look.
Im not usually a big fan of soft goods, but the new jawas do look great.
This next year im going to step it up a notch, and also try some new things. I hope you have a great new year.