what type of paint do you use i use testors paint

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
Re: paint
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 07:16:50 PM »
Right now, I'm using "craft" acrylics I get at the local WalMart - brands are ones like Apple Barrel, Ceramcoat, Delta, and the like.  2oz bottle for $1-$2, depending on brand and style - metallics cost a little more.  I also use some spray-paints for certain projects - primarily Krylon Fusion colors, Krylon camouflage colors, and either Krylon or Rustoleum primer.

Offline wraithnine

• Grand Moff
  • Hasbro , putting the "FU" in fun
    • my youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 06:56:01 AM »
due to my familiarity with it from 5 yrs painting 40k i only use GW citadel miniatures paints and foundation paints and basecoat with their spray can paints.
R.I.P. The Clone Wars line ..Hasbro you are ..idiots
good riddance to Movie Heroes...
http://www.facebook.com/WraithnineCustoms

Offline hangarbay94

• Imagineering
  • Moff
    • XWA-The Web-Comic Homepage
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 07:02:27 AM »
due to my familiarity with it from 5 yrs painting 40k i only use GW citadel miniatures paints and foundation paints and basecoat with their spray can paints.

Jay, I took your advice from your last video and have been to our local games workshop (strange place, I thought I was a geek until I ventured through their door). I purchased lots of cool colours, basecoats, black spray and a finishing matt varnish. So far it seems as though the base coat has fixed quite well onto a figure that I'm customising so to anyone reading this post, Wraithnine is your man when it comes to paint advice....

Jules

Offline Reconsgt

• Grand Moff
  • Administrator
  • Moff
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 07:08:41 AM »
Paint depends on the project,

Figs, I use Testors Acryl and usually spary it with an airbrush.

For dios or other surfaces I will use a wide variety of paints. On compatable items I always hit it with a primer surfacer, on items like my swamp speeder where I built from wood, bondo and other hard surface items I use a heavy fill surfacer to get rid of any imperfections. I do use premium auto body items, since I have them in my shop already, as for the color. I will use anything from cheap spray cans to model paints. Testors is my prefered brand for brush on paint, simply becasue I can get it at a Hobby Lobby right down the road from where I work.

I will also seal most items with Deft semi gloos, flat or gloss poly depending on final project goals.

Offline FialaFernbrugg

• engineer
  • High Admiral
  • Custom figures and vehicles.
    • Visit FialaFernbrugg on YouTube
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 03:18:00 AM »
on figs I only use Revell paints. They work very well

For dios (wood,plastic) I often use acrylic paints

Offline dana.raye.smith

• Commodore
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 09:23:49 PM »
What is a good brand and type for flesh tones?
The parts have been washed/rinsed each time I tried and allowed to dry thoroughly.
I even have basecoated the parts evenly and allowed ample drying time... days even before continuing with the next phase/shade/color...
I have Model Masters in a light base tone and a darker base tone, but all they had was acryl....
it works ok if you basecoat the resin heads first and allow plenty time to dry, but must be either put on liberally all over (giving a barely acceptable appearance) or sparingly over a long ammount of time allowing to dry before continuing to paint more until the whole face is painted.
And the two colors are to be used in layers...
I tried mixing the colors and made a few nice shades but it seems I have lost patience... paint a few strokes and wait to dry... paint a few more and wait again. repeat and repeat until satisfied... which I am not, leading to lots of repaints.
and even tried a drybrush type technique, but the paint globs and rolls off when you overstroke a prior painted area.
If you paint them liberally, you eventually end up with a burn victim looking head that is not what I am trying for.
Any tips or ideas would be much appreciated.
And thanks.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 02:36:02 AM »
While GW has some good skin tones already (Dwarf Flesh, Tanned Flesh, Elf Flesh, etc.), Reaper's has so called triads. Three colours that go together. They have a couple of skin tone triads. GW and Reaper aren't the cheapest brands out there, but if you check ebay or something, you can probably find 2nd hand paints, often still half to 3/4 full.

Offline JTrooper

• Master Toy Maker
  • Colonel
  • Mater Toy Maker
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 05:24:12 PM »
Use Testors Acrylic applebarrel and othes use Krylon on most of my dio's be carefull of the foam core and Styrofoam always coat with plaster or concrete

Offline dana.raye.smith

• Commodore
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2009, 08:46:57 PM »
I can honestly say I had never thought I would be looking for used paints on ebay....
I havent been able to locate any GW paints near me
And I havent ordered any because of high shipping where I was able to find them...
Maybe over Xmas might find some...

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 02:59:31 AM »
customclone wrote
what type of paint do you use i use testors paint

I use the following paints for all my customs they are Reaper Miniature paints, Vallejo Paints and Games Workshop Paints and for extra weathering I also use pastel chalks.

dana.raye.smith wrote
What is a good brand and type for flesh tones?

Mate I use Reaper Miniatues and Folkart paints for my flesh the below is a tutorial I did a few years ago and still use it to this day,  and it works for any scale figures.

http://www.figurerealm.com/customtutorial.php?ID=2

Ron

Offline dana.raye.smith

• Commodore
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 08:20:10 PM »
Thanks much, Hemble. I guess that would work the same with smaller 3 3/4 SW figures heads.
I just need better paints... I hope to pick some up this week...
I know they sell GW paints where we are going... in all colors, as long as you dont mind the prices....

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2009, 01:24:33 AM »
Hi All

dana.raye.smith wrote
Thanks much, Hemble. I guess that would work the same with smaller 3 3/4 SW figures heads.
I just need better paints... I hope to pick some up this week...
I know they sell GW paints where we are going... in all colors, as long as you dont mind the prices....

Yeah mate the same technic will work on the smaller figs as well,  and GW paints are expensive but are good paints but I can't faulter the Vallejo paints at all the are excellent.

Ron

Offline clones are awesome

• Commander
  • fear! fear attracts the fearful fear is my aly.
« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 06:41:52 PM »
I use Mr coulour acrylics that are around 2.50 each and krylon spray paint.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 06:44:17 PM by clones are awesome »

Offline Clonemaster

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 06:14:40 AM »
i use games work shop paint.i used testors paint until i found a hobbie store with games work shop paint. vadsab :o :o :o EL Va1 ()rr ()rr ()rr ()rr ()rr
« Last Edit: September 03, 2010, 05:56:39 AM by Clonemaster »
- Jon