Author Topic: Star Wars Episode VII (Spoiler Alert)  (Read 14997 times)

Offline CamoDeafie

• Ensign
Re: Star Wars Episode VII (Spoiler Alert)
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2015, 08:16:19 PM »
I disagree with the idea of Rey being Kylo's sister. That's already too close to the EU stuff AND repeating the twins thing from OT...... I am more in favor of Rey being Luke's daughter, and Kylo's cousin... since she came from the same family he did, but is not directly related to her... Also, with that odd flashback where Kylo kills someone and young Rey was screaming "come back!".... and Maz saying whoever she's waiting is never coming back (her mother most likely)... it would make sense if Kylo killed her mother, while Rey was dropped off, than if she was Kylo's sister, and him NOT killing her, and NOT bringing a young Rey to Snoke to train....

Offline Mandalore25

• Colonel
  • For Mandalore!
    • DarthArmoressCustoms
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2015, 01:52:36 AM »
I disagree with the idea of Rey being Kylo's sister. That's already too close to the EU stuff AND repeating the twins thing from OT...... I am more in favor of Rey being Luke's daughter, and Kylo's cousin... since she came from the same family he did, but is not directly related to her... Also, with that odd flashback where Kylo kills someone and young Rey was screaming "come back!".... and Maz saying whoever she's waiting is never coming back (her mother most likely)... it would make sense if Kylo killed her mother, while Rey was dropped off, than if she was Kylo's sister, and him NOT killing her, and NOT bringing a young Rey to Snoke to train....
How would Kylo killing Rey's mother be more different from the EU than them being twins ( to fill for those who don't know, a Solo boy kills Luke's wife in the EU), twins can be genetic, making it necessarily be overused. I do agree that her being Luke's daughter would make far more sense, especially how the blade called to her. The saber being imbued with force memories, a bit odd, and not exactly how the force works, though whoever has the rights always seems to be changing it (both Lucas and Disney have/are doing it), but not far off based on known things about the force. Objects can be force sensitive, and that should still be cannon based on the Ilum episode of the CW, with their saber crystals. I also think the vagueness of Kylo's fall missed out on a good character building point, had their been a little jedi order, and he killed them all except for Luke would have improved the darkness of his character. I understand they probably want Luke to explain that, but  he's clearly not as dark as he wants those around him to believe, making it seem a bit counterproductive in the next movie if they plan on making him darker, and using that story as a tool to portray him that way, would mean he was darker, lighter, darker. Granted the average movie goer would not catch that if told properly, but anyone paying attention should catch it. The light side also doesn't pull at a person, where the dark beckons you further down it's path, and acts like a personality poison. Anakin, and Vader were like split people, it called him in, and corrupted him to his core. In 7 though they act like that's not a thing. On the other hand, if the event of his fall was a moment of rage where he did something he feels he could never atone for, would make him feel he belongs to the dark, and the light wouldn't take him back, so he just fallows the path he thinks he must walk. If this where the case, I would get back on board, would really up the depth to the story. Kind of used with Vader, would be rather overused for EU fans, but it would be a good rich story that I think would be appreciated widely.

Offline jkno

• Dracula's Neighbor
  • Admiral
  • Dracula's Neighbor
    • Deviant
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2015, 02:18:20 AM »
I watched TFA and I have to say it is indeed a good SW movie, and remember I'm a big OT fan. The acting was really fine, Han was great (including solo ;), with Rey and Finn, and with Leia), you can feel Harrison did his best for this role, Rey and Finn totally have the chemistry going, hope we'll see more of Poe Dameron. I also liked Kylo's quite complex character torn between the two worlds, not a powerful Sith, but an unbalanced wannabe baddie who finally chooses his path.

The overall plot was a bit too safe, by following OT (ANH and ESB) steps, but was kind of understandable considering this was the first movie from a new trilogy (or even 2 trilogies, who knows). Special effects were great, but that was to be expected. Waiting to see the next "Death Star" in episode 8. :P

Phasma and Luke were a bit of a disappointment. Phasma really should have had more going to her, hope she will come back, and Luke in the final scenes was too odd. It would have been ok for a short scene, but it was too long, and became weird.  :-\

In the next films we also need to find out and understand how and why Rey has access so fast to the Force, because otherwise it would be weird (Luke's daughter maybe but even so, you know what I mean). I didn't like the scenes with the tentacle monster on Han's ship, it was too forced, and also a bit the way Finn turns against his fellow Stormtroopers, he found his way, but shoots his former colleagues too easily, at least at the beginning.

My personal conclusion: TFA beats the Prequels the same way furry Ewoks beat both the Rebels and the Empire on Endor LOL :P
It is not perfect, but a good start for the new Star Wars.
Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates, but doesn't go away
My collection
Trade Feedback

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2015, 03:33:59 AM »
Once again more great points. I also like the fact that no one is tearing anyone up if they disagree. Keep it going folks!

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2015, 07:26:56 AM »
I think for me I am gonna boil this movie down into Likes and Dislikes:

Rey - .......

.......Dislikes:

Predictable Story - talk about a rehash of A New Hope! At least we got a new story with the Prequels!

Leia - between the poor acting and her immovable lower lip I was hoping they would kill her

Rey, without any training, can do Jedi Mind Tricks and take down Kylo Ren. ........

..... Wow, sounds like I got a bit nit picky, but feels good to vent. Did anyone else notice those things? I know it sounds like I found way more negative than good, but I still liked the movie a good bit.

Agree on all the pluses and most of the minuses.

Why Anakin and Luke's blue saber?   That's the one that fell into the bowels of cloud city.  Did the salvager also grab Luke's amputated hand and why wasn't that in the box? 

Like TESB, Ford was the best part of TFA, and he delivered the obligatory, "I've got a bad feeling about this" line.  Han's death was the movie's emotional kick in the gut and is setting us up for the eventual avenging of Han or the redemption of Ben Solo.

My least favorite part of the film was sitting next to my mother in law.  It got to the point that she was asking multi-faceted questions about who was whom and what their relationships was. I had to move.   I don't know if I didn't like the movie because of the movie or because I couldn't emerse myself.

Offline CamoDeafie

• Ensign
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2015, 08:21:43 PM »

Agree on all the pluses and most of the minuses.

Why Anakin and Luke's blue saber?   That's the one that fell into the bowels of cloud city.  Did the salvager also grab Luke's amputated hand and why wasn't that in the box? 

You bring up a good point about the particular saber, and why not the green one from ROTJ... My guess is that Luke still has the green Saber, and likely Vader's saber from when he dragged Anakin to the Imperial Shuttle in the Death Star 2 hangar...

HM. Looking at Darth Vader's red saber handle, and then at the blue one with the silver pieces (Ep 2,3, 4, 5), I am not sure if it is possible that the red one could have had a change of projector and crystal to look just like the old one with the blue one, IF the Cloud City one is the one that fell away from the hole that Luke ended up falling through (or what seemed to be his hand and saber falling into the planet's gas depths)

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
  • Proud member of Red Sox Nation
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2015, 08:59:41 PM »
A little late to the thread but I did enjoy the movie. I saw it with some close friends (I couldn't see it without them, it wouldn't have felt right). We talked about it heavily afterwards. We agreed, yea it seemed like a rehash of ANH but this definitely takes the bad taste of the prequels out of your mouth.

The scenes with Han & Chewie were great, best parts of the movie hands down. I was very sad to see Han go, but I saw it coming. Especially outside of the film, how Ford felt about Han. I wonder, if Ford felt differently about Star Wars, if he would have been killed off? It needed to happen though, having all the main characters survive again would seem unrealistic. It was hard to watch for me, here it is a few days later and I feel I'm still in shock. Partly because he's Han freaking Solo, the other is I've seen a lot of movies with Harrison Ford and he never dies.

I loved the Poe Dameron character. I even like the name, its got a very Star Wars feel to it unlike General Hux. As many of you know, I love the dogfights and space battles. Poe has the swagger of Han but a Resistance pilot. How about that 10 TIE Fighter kill streak he had? Sadly no mention of Wedge though. Awesome to see the return of Red Squadron, as well as the first appearance of Blue Squadron. I loved all the nods to the original trilogy. Did anyone notice the helmet Rey puts on is Luke's X-wing helmet from the OT?

Awesome to see Luke again at the end! I really wanted him to say something, but after seeing it I think that scene worked better with no lines.

Ah, so many things rushing through my head. I'll probably see it again this weekend and I can gather more thoughts and process everything.

Also, was it too much to ask for to have Admiral Ackbar yell "It's a map!"
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 09:01:22 PM by Goldleaderone »
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles

Offline CamoDeafie

• Ensign
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2015, 10:00:26 PM »
Did anyone notice the helmet Rey puts on is Luke's X-wing helmet from the OT?.

Rey's helmet from wrecks;

Luke's helmet, ESB (Hoth departure scene)
Quite different....

Same yellow symbols, different color scheme overall though.

yellow overall helmet has red symbols much like the blue one on Rey's earpiece.

Also, was it too much to ask for to have Admiral Ackbar yell "It's a map!"
HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAAHA That would have been a cheesy but fitting line!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 10:03:27 PM by CamoDeafie »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2015, 04:52:46 AM »
Wow even more good points. I didn't even notice that about Luke's saber or the rebel pilot helmet.

Offline Mandalore25

• Colonel
  • For Mandalore!
    • DarthArmoressCustoms
« Reply #24 on: December 24, 2015, 11:19:27 AM »
Rey's helmet says Raeh on the side, yes I can read Aurebesh, thought it would be fun at some point in my life, not sure what Raeh means though? Could be gibberish, that's what it is like 50% of the time, depends on how in depth the artists go into detail. Or it could be the obvious and mean Rey, I suppose it would be pronounced the same. I think a big part of why I didn't like it was the lack of emotional attachment to the original trilogy, I never saw the OT in theaters, I wasn't even born yet, and the prequels started coming out when I was 4. So I grew up watching both, and can't say I prefer one to the other, my favorites order probably 3, 4, 5, 2, 1, 6. The prequels are exactly what I wanted them to be based on Ben Kenobi's short description in 4. An empire doesn't need a description of it's political structure empires are all the same. I enjoyed the politics, learning about the galaxy before the empire, and how that empire was able to come about. Also, if Luke, Kenobi, and Yoda were cool jedi, we got a hole order of them, with Yoda as it's grand master. I don't get what anyone was expecting from them that they didn't deliver on. Yes they're not as well written, but the prequels aren't stellar writing either, nor that better cast. At least the prequels told their own stories, and weren't rushed, or full of miraculous events. Sorry a bit off topic, but the Prequels definitely need a voice in this crowd. Was talking episode 7 over with my fiancee again today, and remembered another problem with episode 7, all the blood. Lightsabers, and blasters both cauterize wounds, so why was Kylo, and Finn's pal bleeding? Well, for Finn it was they needed you to know which trooper he was, but it was cheep writing that didn't fit the universe.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #25 on: December 24, 2015, 11:41:04 AM »
I noticed that too, about the blood. Thing is a hot laser wouldn't kill you, unless your head was chopped off or you were stabbed in the heart. Because a hot laser would seal the wound. In the real world some modern  rifles are designed to cool the bullet so the heat WON'T seal the wound. Remember the cantina scene where obiwan cut the arm off ponda baba/walrusman, his arm was bleeding. So the lasers could be a cold plasma or something like that. Something that was illuminated not by heat but some cold energy. We don't have that kind of technology in the real world. We have Nonthermal and Ultracold plasma that is used in science but its very fragile, anyway its not hot. The concept of a hot laser started in the prequels. And again people can get shot with a hot laser and not even notice it. If it were ionized particles at room temperature it would do more damage, because of the bleeding effect.

I'll have to check, but I think Leia had blood on her ACE bandage in ROTJ. Anyway why would she need a bandage if the wound was sealed by a hot laser? She wouldn't bleed. No infections could set. Same thing with Luke when he got his arm cut off. They had him in the falcon with his arm bandaged. More and more holes in the prequels I'm glad they didn't pass on to the new film. And if someone says Star Wars isn't Star Warzy, I'll probably short circuit.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2015, 10:37:54 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2015, 09:05:48 PM »
  You guys have to see this video, its hilarious!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Og4DX8xFTNk

Enjoy. And Merry Christmas everybody.

Offline Mandalore25

• Colonel
  • For Mandalore!
    • DarthArmoressCustoms
« Reply #27 on: December 25, 2015, 01:45:13 AM »
In the prequels they don't bleed, the Leia pic shows no blood, and Luke's doesn't bleed, and they still bandage burns in the real world. I knew someone would bring up the cantina scene, but that's he only time it happens. Changing what is defined as a laser, as little as that makes sense in the real world, to anything else would be too far on their part. Clearly in Ep. I when Qui-Gon Jinn cut through the blast doors at the beginning proves it's hot. If it is in everything but that one scene, that would make that one movie inconsistent, an OT movie, not the prequels, though I'd accredit it to Lucas not having the idea fully fleshed out in the first film. Not true about only being shot through the heart, or head cut off to kill, any abdomen hit would kill, and be very hard to fix, even with medical attention. Again, like Qui-Gon, he was dying for a wile, but with your organs scrambled he couldn't have lived. No pain would be true (though depending where I think something internal would be felt, lack of blood flow or, something), but the hit defiantly has a decent impact, and would have immediate effects, for example a leg hit were lack of pain, the lack of muscle tissue would make it so your not going very far.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #28 on: December 25, 2015, 03:25:52 AM »
Big difference between being burned and being cut with a laser. I'm looking right at Leia's bandage and there is blood showing through. She has pink blood! If Ponda Babas blood was a mistake why didn't they change it in 1997 in the SE. After Luke has his hand severed he puts his nub under his armpit to cut off circulation. If you were shot with a laser in the stomach it would take weeks to die. Even if you were shot in the stomach with today's bullets it would take days, BECAUSE of the blood loss. Without external or internal bleeding many killshots would be survivable. 

They couldn't put a bunch of blood in the prequels because it would have been rated R. everyone got shot up and sliced in those movies it would have been a bloodbath. 7 has a PG-13 rating because of all the blood, it was definitely done on purpose, to appeal to an older crowd. Prequels were made for kids, I was 12 when ep.1 came out. I thought it was childish.

And another thing notice how close the lightsabers got to people's faces throughout the saga. If it were a hot laser with temperatures in the thousands of degrees, their faces would burn up. Plus the hilts would get too hot to handle, and the blaster barrels would warp under intense heat. It could be possible that a cold laser would have a melting effect on metal because it could speed up the molecules at such a high rate the material would melt. That's just an idea because the technology doesn't exist.  Anyway its a NEW Star Wars movie sort of, just enjoy it with the rest of the world.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 07:32:01 AM by JDeck »

Offline Mandalore25

• Colonel
  • For Mandalore!
    • DarthArmoressCustoms
« Reply #29 on: December 25, 2015, 11:26:31 AM »
  Anyway its a NEW Star Wars movie sort of, just enjoy it with the rest of the world.

I don't have to enjoy something that wasn't good (right to my opinion), just because the EU meant nothing to you, for that's where my attachment to Star Wars stems, doesn't mean I have to like it. This movie pales in comparison, like I said I was expecting an adequate replacement, at least for the Grand Admiral Thrawn trilogy, not the exact same, Disney was very specific, just something the same caliber, and it wasn't. Disney destroyed the EU, by far the bast part of Star Wars, because to be honest, the more I read, the less I liked the movies, ill written, poorly cast movies, still love them (1-6), but Revan's story alone is superior to anything Disney could ever write. True I new that going in, but for J.J. supposedly being such a "great writer" this movie holds the sub par writing standard they all have, was still expecting some amazing writing. For your information, the majority of people are saying it just ok (ok's pretty good for first of 3 though I'll admit), unless they have emotional attachment to the OT, because of all the nostalgia factor, they tend to like it. Me, and those like me are all, you destroyed the EU for this? You also have to realize, since I read the EU it's very in depth Star Wars, very deep stuff, if you just like the movies your used to not very deep concepts, not very good acting, OT had decent, but Ep. 4 was only because it was a classic Greek hero story. We're used to two completely different things, if I only watched the movies, I'd probably like it too, but nope, I'll give 8 a redemption chance, and hopefully Rouge One will be better, but until then, they literally killed Star Wars for me, Literally the EU is done, Star wars as I knew it IS destroyed.