Author Topic: Will of the Force: KOTOR #6 Journey to the Past  (Read 2934 times)

Offline CloneCrazy

• Commander
Will of the Force: KOTOR #6 Journey to the Past
« on: December 06, 2015, 03:47:10 PM »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Will of the Force: KOTOR #6 Journey to the Past
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 04:12:56 AM »
It looks good on the front pages!

Offline CloneCrazy

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 05:20:07 AM »
Thanks so much for sharing it the front page! I cannot express how much I sincerely appreciate your constant support.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2015, 08:20:32 AM »
Thanks so much for sharing it the front page! I cannot express how much I sincerely appreciate your constant support.

Your welcome, I enjoyed seeing the tie in with all the other SW timelines, including Episode 7 with this new chapter!

Offline Mandalore25

• Colonel
  • For Mandalore!
    • DarthArmoressCustoms
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2015, 04:18:55 PM »
Not sure if I like where this one is going, with no Rakata, and the Temple being from the Great Schism, that didn't even involve the sith. The map being a sith relic would mean the republic should have been crushed beneath their feet. When you say the Great Schism by the way, even when you say that, I think you mean Last Great Schism? Also known as the 2nd Great Schism, for the First Great Schism was a lateral move, some jedi rebelled and got crushed the end. I think you mean Great Hyperspace War, the first battle between Jedi, and Sith. I'd also have to argue Exar Kun was a sith for he had the sith teachings. Really the only difference between a sith, and a Dark Jedi is knowledge of the sith secrets, as stated in a book, but I can't recall which, also his war was called the Great Sith War. Yet you do state true sith, I'd agree was the sith species. Though even with those I loved the way Kast speaks of the way the Great Hyperspace war was ended, and they way many jedi treat the sith as only evil to be destroyed. To truly fallow the path of the jedi they should show compassion towards there enemies, and always take alive when possible, granted the sith never surrendered, but killing all their civilians is unspeakable. I think the Great Galactic War may have never happened if the Republic would have handled the end of that war better, though the sith deep seeded hatred for the Republic comes from the even older conflict, the Hundred-Year Darkness which is what happened just after the Second Great Schism in which the survivors where exiled to stumble upon the Sith people. That may be why they killed all the sith, when they exiled the Dark Jedi, they're descendants returned with an army. Anyway, it's something hardly even addressed in anything Star Wars that the Jedi hatred of Sith, is total hypocrisy, just violates their very foundation. Truly happy to read that part, and very intrigued by them going to Dxun, hoping it'll be good.

Offline CloneCrazy

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 06:25:06 AM »
Not sure if I like where this one is going, with no Rakata, and the Temple being from the Great Schism, that didn't even involve the sith. The map being a sith relic would mean the republic should have been crushed beneath their feet. When you say the Great Schism by the way, even when you say that, I think you mean Last Great Schism? Also known as the 2nd Great Schism, for the First Great Schism was a lateral move, some jedi rebelled and got crushed the end. I think you mean Great Hyperspace War, the first battle between Jedi, and Sith. I'd also have to argue Exar Kun was a sith for he had the sith teachings. Really the only difference between a sith, and a Dark Jedi is knowledge of the sith secrets, as stated in a book, but I can't recall which, also his war was called the Great Sith War. Yet you do state true sith, I'd agree was the sith species. Though even with those I loved the way Kast speaks of the way the Great Hyperspace war was ended, and they way many jedi treat the sith as only evil to be destroyed. To truly fallow the path of the jedi they should show compassion towards there enemies, and always take alive when possible, granted the sith never surrendered, but killing all their civilians is unspeakable. I think the Great Galactic War may have never happened if the Republic would have handled the end of that war better, though the sith deep seeded hatred for the Republic comes from the even older conflict, the Hundred-Year Darkness which is what happened just after the Second Great Schism in which the survivors where exiled to stumble upon the Sith people. That may be why they killed all the sith, when they exiled the Dark Jedi, they're descendants returned with an army. Anyway, it's something hardly even addressed in anything Star Wars that the Jedi hatred of Sith, is total hypocrisy, just violates their very foundation. Truly happy to read that part, and very intrigued by them going to Dxun, hoping it'll be good.

Thank you for your thoughtful comment! I appreciate your knowledge of Star Wars lore and certainly share your enthusiasm for the old cannon, which obviously heavily influences my story. However, while I love the old cannon dearly, it is extremely messy and does not reflect the direction Star Wars has moved with the new cannon. Therefore, since Lucasfilm/Disney has not created a timeline going this far back, I have the freedom to pick and choose what I want to include in Will of the Force. For instance, I really disliked the Rakata in KOTOR and always thought that the Sith were an ideal, not a species. Everything I lay out in this issue was very deliberately thought out and designed to advance my own narrative/timeline, which is different from the old cannon.

Once again, thanks for taking the time to offer such detailed feedback!

-Matt

Offline Mandalore25

• Colonel
  • For Mandalore!
    • DarthArmoressCustoms
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2015, 10:15:02 AM »
The EU really isn't that messy, I don't get where that rumor started, well Lucas started it. It's very consistent especially when you think about all of Star Wars being written out of order. Nearly all the inconsistencies came from Lucasfilm, due to Lucas was all, "Let's give out the right to write, but not care any further, for what I say still goes no matter what, even if I contradict myself." Which he did often enough. I would know since I read the majority of the EU. All that, I knew off hand, The true Star Wars! Disney is just lazy, and cruel to take it away. The audience wouldn't have to do any research, Disney would have to. Think of all the books, I didn't always catch a reference at the time I read a certain book, but it didn't matter, for the writers fill in just enough to understand, and feel like you know, that's good writing. Then later when I read all about something mentioned in a book, it was the coolest thing to have all this extra! Was it necessary at the original time? No. Would it had more of an impact? Sometimes, but that was dependent on the writer's ability to take me in knowing nothing, and make me leave feeling like a historian about it. The best writers can do that, I'd say the book Darth Plagueis is a good example of that with the very deep concepts of mixing science with the Force. The author made you feel like you knew all about it, well if you catch the the colorful vocabulary of that book. Still doesn't make sense why they cut the EU altogether on the grounds it would confuse people to keep writing books, if they didn't read the books before, why would they now? Anyway I do apologize for so off topic, EU's super important to me, every book report throughout my school years was on an EU book, and even now I still pretty much read Star Wars books exclusively, but only EU without a "Legends" banner. The not liking Rakata is a personal choice, but I have to admit I'm a bit surprised when they add such depth, and wonder to the story. Like who are these people? Do they really predate the Republic? A forgotten empire that once ruled the hole galaxy, shaped it, and mysteriously vanished? They added a level of depth I think is now missing from your story. The Sith as an ideal is true to an extent, all stemming from the species, though you could agrue the original exiled Dark Jedi brought the ideal with them, for they did heavily influence the Sith direction. Without the species there seems a disconnect between the difference between a Dark Jedi, and a Sith. Kind of making there no difference, and saying throughout the years there were quarrels with dark jedi, but not sith irrelevant. Your the artist, and it's your story to write however you choose, I'm more so worried of the cut out depth, but will see exactly what you have in mind. Do you mind filling me in on your approach saying that the sith were destroyed in the Great Schism, that one throws me through a loop every time I read it, especially with the aforementioned blurred line in your story between Dark Jedi, and sith.

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2015, 12:18:06 PM »
Hey M,  .... I mean CC
What a coincidence that I stumbled on your previous episode on Yakface' two days ago.
Your technical skills are getting more and more refined with each episode.
Can't wait to see where the intrepid team of Jedi go next.
Any chance we'll see some new characters soon?

Offline CloneCrazy

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2015, 02:39:16 PM »
The EU really isn't that messy, I don't get where that rumor started, well Lucas started it. It's very consistent especially when you think about all of Star Wars being written out of order. Nearly all the inconsistencies came from Lucasfilm, due to Lucas was all, "Let's give out the right to write, but not care any further, for what I say still goes no matter what, even if I contradict myself." Which he did often enough. I would know since I read the majority of the EU. All that, I knew off hand, The true Star Wars! Disney is just lazy, and cruel to take it away. The audience wouldn't have to do any research, Disney would have to. Think of all the books, I didn't always catch a reference at the time I read a certain book, but it didn't matter, for the writers fill in just enough to understand, and feel like you know, that's good writing. Then later when I read all about something mentioned in a book, it was the coolest thing to have all this extra! Was it necessary at the original time? No. Would it had more of an impact? Sometimes, but that was dependent on the writer's ability to take me in knowing nothing, and make me leave feeling like a historian about it. The best writers can do that, I'd say the book Darth Plagueis is a good example of that with the very deep concepts of mixing science with the Force. The author made you feel like you knew all about it, well if you catch the the colorful vocabulary of that book. Still doesn't make sense why they cut the EU altogether on the grounds it would confuse people to keep writing books, if they didn't read the books before, why would they now? Anyway I do apologize for so off topic, EU's super important to me, every book report throughout my school years was on an EU book, and even now I still pretty much read Star Wars books exclusively, but only EU without a "Legends" banner. The not liking Rakata is a personal choice, but I have to admit I'm a bit surprised when they add such depth, and wonder to the story. Like who are these people? Do they really predate the Republic? A forgotten empire that once ruled the hole galaxy, shaped it, and mysteriously vanished? They added a level of depth I think is now missing from your story. The Sith as an ideal is true to an extent, all stemming from the species, though you could agrue the original exiled Dark Jedi brought the ideal with them, for they did heavily influence the Sith direction. Without the species there seems a disconnect between the difference between a Dark Jedi, and a Sith. Kind of making there no difference, and saying throughout the years there were quarrels with dark jedi, but not sith irrelevant. Your the artist, and it's your story to write however you choose, I'm more so worried of the cut out depth, but will see exactly what you have in mind. Do you mind filling me in on your approach saying that the sith were destroyed in the Great Schism, that one throws me through a loop every time I read it, especially with the aforementioned blurred line in your story between Dark Jedi, and sith.

You and I would have been good friends during our school years! I would have to agree that just about every book report I wrote during those years was on a Star Wars subject! I love the EU as well and agree that it's a shame to see it go. But after 20+ years, of what I agree was less than stellar leadership by Lucas, we got some great stories and I'm excited to see where Star Wars journeys next!

As for the Rakata, they just never worked with my idea of the Force pre dating the Jedi. I always felt that the Force was discovered by the Whills and both the Jedi and Sith are off shoots of that order.

Now for the Great Schism, I don't want to give too much away as I plan to explore it later in the series, but I will say that it was the first war between the Jedi and the Sith ever my timeline.

The difference between a Dark Jedi and a Sith is that a dark Jedi is simply a Jedi who has embraced the Dark Side. No further training or formal education, they simply give in to their emotions. The Sith by contrast are a refined idealogy, like the Jedi, and are trained/educated according to these beliefs.

Once again, thank you for commenting! I greatly appreciate your knowledge of the EU and enjoyed our discussion!

Offline CloneCrazy

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2015, 02:42:48 PM »
Hey M,  .... I mean CC
What a coincidence that I stumbled on your previous episode on Yakface' two days ago.
Your technical skills are getting more and more refined with each episode.
Can't wait to see where the intrepid team of Jedi go next.
Any chance we'll see some new characters soon?

Thank you, my friend! Our intrepid friends are going to be making some new friends next year! As a matter of fact, I just finished the season outline today! You want me to share it with you?

Offline Mandalore25

• Colonel
  • For Mandalore!
    • DarthArmoressCustoms
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2015, 04:57:11 PM »
You and I would have been good friends during our school years! I would have to agree that just about every book report I wrote during those years was on a Star Wars subject! I love the EU as well and agree that it's a shame to see it go. But after 20+ years, of what I agree was less than stellar leadership by Lucas, we got some great stories and I'm excited to see where Star Wars journeys next!

As for the Rakata, they just never worked with my idea of the Force pre dating the Jedi. I always felt that the Force was discovered by the Whills and both the Jedi and Sith are off shoots of that order.

Once again, thank you for commenting! I greatly appreciate your knowledge of the EU and enjoyed our discussion!
I feel like all that reading with memories intertwined being meaningless, is a huge oversight by Disney, but the go to the money, not the fans. Personally I'm very skeptical of where Star Wars is going, the EU was too good, I don't believe they can top it. I'll give it a chance, but I can't say I'm anticipating it.

I see what your after with the Whills, but it narrows the concept of the force itself. The Force, is a force of nature, and need not be "discovered" so to speak, for it to be there, and used consciously by force adepts. Comparable to gravity, it wasn't "discovered" until 1687, but was always there. Many other factions use the force and call it by other names, with a number predating Jedi, and Sith. The Whills also seem far too powerful to be their predecessor, along with giving off the notion they are like primordial beings or some sort. If the Whills discovered the force, and that's the history of the force before jedi, what about The Ones? They are primordial force using beings, and they are cannon. Having a base faction brake into two new factions is a much better concept than having Jedi, and Dark Jedi, definitely fits for better ideology. Sounds like your going for what ancient Tython was like with the Je'daii in Dawn of the Jedi, they lived in perfect balance until the Rakata arrived.

Your welcome, I enjoy your series, and the work you put into it.