Author Topic: Interesting Theory regarding the fate of Luke Skywalker  (Read 1811 times)

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
Interesting Theory regarding the fate of Luke Skywalker
« on: October 27, 2015, 09:06:12 AM »
So I read today, and it got me thinking...  Do yourself a favor and read all the way through, and then discuss!

When I began reading this article, I brushed it off, because my childhood sense of morality rose up and defended our favorite Last Jedi.  We've read many of the books and comics and think we know of the history of Luke Skywalker, so this article must be pure hogwash, right? 

Let's think on this, however: Kurtz had a very different view on how Star Wars should have been made, from beginning to end.  J.J. Abrams has a history of taking canon and re-writing it and making blockbusters (Star Trek was amazing in so many ways!), and both Abrams, Disney, and Lucasfilm has already stated that this new set of movies will not have anything to do with the Expanded Universe in any way.  Disney and Abrams have a history of creating new and exciting from old and well-known.  Look at the Marvel movies, if you don't believe me. 

Early reports have Adam Driver listed as playing Kylo Renn, and that the plot begins with individuals finding Luke's original lightsaber among garbage disposed on Tattooine, yet the latest trailer gives no indication that that is necessarily correct.  We do see Driver dresses as Renn, minus his mask, in one trailer, but what if Kylo Renn is NOT the man in the mask?  Obviously, there are several holes in both the movies, trailer, and fan theory here, but it does leave something for discussion.  What if Luke had truly fallen, and this is the vision that Kurtz began on, and Abrams is picking up on?  Certainly, there is still mystery revolving around the official movie poster: Who is Rey (Why have they not revealed her last name, and doesn't she sure look a bit like Shmi Skywalker a bit?) and Where is Luke?  The alignment of Rey's staff and Renn's lightsaber indicate some sort of connection...

And a final piece of food for thought: Renn's lightsaber.  In regards to our own history, the Halberd on a sword was placed there to protect the hands from blades.  Luke lost his hand, and similarly, removed Vader's hand, due to no protection.  Luke has training and history in creating his own lightsaber, so why wouldn't he have learned from his own past, and created a lightsaber that would protect his hands in the future?

What do you all think?

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: Interesting Theory regarding the fate of Luke Skywalker
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 09:30:42 AM »
I don't like Luke turning to the Dark side. Why go through the hassle of blowing up the death star, training with Yoda, confronting Vader twice to redeem Vader then choosing to die instead of joining the Emperor. Seems like a waste, and it would ruin the original trilogy. I understand Lucas wanted Luke to put Vader's mask on and say "now I'm Darth Vader" that's the stupidest thing I've ever heard of, I'm so glad Lucas was talked out of it. If Luke turns to the Dark side the franchise is doomed.

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 10:02:56 AM »
Actually, Lucas only wanted cutesy, positive, happy endings for his trilogy.  Kurtz had envisioned a darker and more grown up movie experience.  The article goes into some pretty good detail as to what cues we've all seen hundreds of times could possibly point to.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 02:00:37 AM »
Luke as a bad guy? I don't think the public would stand it. Too big of a risk with old fogies like us I am thinking.

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
  • Proud member of Red Sox Nation
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 04:39:12 PM »
I agree as well, it wouldn't seem right if Luke turned to the dark side. Yes its been 30 years since Jedi but to me, personally it would be out of character. The OT would be all for nothing I think. Yeah it would make for a cool story/plot twist, but when Luke turned his lightsaber off and threw it to the side on the DSII - that was it. Luke overcame what Obi-wan and Yoda feared.

Even before all the leaked images, concept pics and even trailers came out, I always expected Luke to be the Obi-wan/Yoda of this trilogy.
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles

Offline Phatty

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
    • Imperialshipyards.net
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2015, 12:42:12 PM »
Luke as a bad guy? I don't think the public would stand it. Too big of a risk with old fogies like us I am thinking.

I definitely agree, we all grew up with Luke being the epitome of the Good Guy, so it would be hard for us to swallow.  Just playing devil's advocate though, and keep in mind, WE are not the target audience for this new trilogy, our children and some of our children's children are the focus.  Also, it's the first of a trilogy, meaning that they can start and end at two different spectrums.

Frankly, I don't really have much faith in this theory, but it is interesting and entertaining.  Just fun speculation for another 2 months until the movie finally hits!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2015, 04:51:44 PM »
I kind of see Luke showing up at the end with a troop of new Jedi right as Ren is getting ready to win. He will save the day so to speak. Not a huge amount of screen time, but enough to cement his role for spot bits in the rest of the movie, which is pretty much what I expect will happen to Leia and Han and Chewie (if they keep him alive).

Online Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2015, 04:33:21 AM »
"The stories are all true, the dark side, the Jedi"

For this statement to be made, it means something happened to the Jedi for them not to be around.
It would have to be something bad, I would imagine.

What happened to Luke?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 04:37:37 AM by Clonehead »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2015, 08:27:13 AM »
I still think he'll be a Jedi master much like Obi Wan. From the pictures I've seen of hammel/Luke he looks like Obi Wan with his cloak and beard. Bad guys don't have beards. He might be a "force Ghost". Meaning he's dead. Or he could be in exile. But a sith lord is unlikely, from what I've seen.

Offline CamoDeafie

• Ensign
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2015, 11:57:40 AM »
While I disagree with the idea that Luke has fallen into Sithhood much like his father before him, I do see that in Jedi; he shows hints of skirting the Dark Side.... if not outright giving into the Dark Side....

There's a couple fan theories out there that seem to state that Luke basically turned to the Dark side, and then lied point blank to The Emperor about being a Jedi Knight..
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/rob-conery/luke-skywalker-theory-destroys-everything-star-wars_b_8392698.html

My take on this? Maybe.... just Maybe Luke did turn to dark side for a bit, then went into exile after the celebrations, and stayed in exile, atoning and learning and communing with Obi-Wan and Yoda.. Much like Obi-wan did before him.