Author Topic: Bandai Star Wars model kit review.  (Read 43137 times)

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
Re: Bandai Star Wars model kit review.
« Reply #75 on: July 21, 2017, 11:52:22 PM »
Yeah I did go over board a little LOL buy most of those kits were Sandtroopers. I have to agree with the eyes you would think the will decals/stickers and what I have seen of the innards they look pink with the green shield plate over them.

I was thinking the same about the cape by the looks of it but I have no doubt people will make a full cloth for him.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2017, 04:12:13 PM »
I got my shipment from Japan a couple of weeks ago. I had forgotten what I ordered. But it was the small kits, like the f-toys ones. The Y-wing, MF, and TIE fighters. So im going to put some together see how they look. Yeah these kits are fun to build. As Barney Fife would say "it's tharapetic". :)

I started on the Y-wing. I love Y-wings, coolest starfighters of all time. It's like a JEEP,  with wings. Anyway, it's a really detailed kit. All the greeble work is there, just amazing. It does come with the stickers. I would say it is 1/144 scale, meybe not, but it's good enough for me.  Only real problem, are those little circular vent after burner things at the end of the engines. Those do not like to stay in place. Same with the 1/72 version. So I will have to glue them in place.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 07:16:06 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2017, 06:06:44 PM »
   Okay, so I built the TIE fighters. It comes with 1 TIE, and 1 Vader's TIE "X1". However in order to utilize it's full potential you need to buy 2 kits. In order to have the second TIE. But, I mean, What is it, 7 bucks? Big deal. Yeah, they are really nice, and I didn't even need the instructions. HOWEVER, it will be a bear to paint the solar panels, I can see it now. Other than that, they are pretty cool. I want just the TIE fighter in a two pack one day, because I'll end up with a bunch of Vader TIEs. You know?
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 06:11:45 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2017, 05:31:42 AM »
Very nice. Gotta build my Walker. Off to share the latest.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2017, 10:23:06 AM »
Very nice. Gotta build my Walker. Off to share the latest.

Thanks Tamer! Yeah go on build that thing. :)  Dew it.  EL   it's like a puzzle, with detailed instructions.

I got my General Grevious today. My brother has been asking about it. He gave me carte blanche, but I'm just going to paint a few minor parts and slight weather.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 10:52:31 AM by JDeck »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2017, 02:41:32 PM »
Excellent reviews JD and these little kits are the way to go to large diorama's that is for sure.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2019, 04:17:19 PM »
    It's been a long time since I've built any new Bandai kits. Pretty much been busy with TVC and figure customs. I'm moving soon, so I had packed all of my modeling stuff away. I was driving around looking at some new places, and stopped by the model shop. I grabbed the Death Star and Star Destroyer set, also the Tantive IV and Millennium falcon set.

I'll start with the Star Destroyer/ Death Star set. The Star destroyer is the same one that came out a couple of years ago, but you can't have too many. In fact, Bandai is making a Super Star Destroyer / Star Destroyer set, of course they aren't in the same scale. *shrugs*  the Star Destroyer is 1/14500 scale, and it's cast in a white plastic

The Death Star is incredibly detailed, and I had forgotten what a joy it is to build some of these kits. The scale is 1/2,700,000, yes 2.7 million-inth. That's tiny, so every crease will be obvious. That's why it's important to make sure everything fits right, and you sand off all the little left over sprue boogers. It's cast in the light- medium grey plastic. I think it needs at least a black wash to bring out the detail, and to add a little darker color. But at this scale, it's easy to over do it. I just was wanting something bigger, like 6" diameter would have been awesome, I'll take what I can get.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 07:57:49 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #82 on: June 06, 2019, 05:27:45 AM »
Nice to see you back with a review. I so need to get back into Bandai myself.

Off to share.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #83 on: June 06, 2019, 04:37:16 PM »
Nice to see you back with a review. I so need to get back into Bandai myself.

Off to share.
Thank you Tamer. I'm not much on the figure kits. Bandai has been making some good ones. They have their own photo real printing on their han and Luke Stormtroopers, and ROTJ Vader. They now have the Droid lineup. But I'm just into the ships really. I need that B-wing.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #84 on: June 06, 2019, 11:52:25 PM »
JDeck - it's great to see a new post from you. Thanks for sharing these models and providing some commentary. Hope your move goes smoothly.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #85 on: June 07, 2019, 02:44:26 AM »
JDeck - it's great to see a new post from you. Thanks for sharing these models and providing some commentary. Hope your move goes smoothly.
Thank you Starchaser. It's just been a busy couple of years. Which is good. Moving ain't even the half of it. Hopefully soon I'll be buying a business,  I've been in distribution my whole life, but I'm finally going to buy a franchise more or less.  So, once I get settled, I can  go full swing into more reviews. I want to get that new star destroyer that's coming out. That will be August, that's right when I'll be making big changes, so I might hold off on it. If I buy it and pack it away, the chances of me building it will be greatly diminished.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2019, 07:24:35 AM by JDeck »

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #86 on: June 07, 2019, 06:15:07 PM »
Thank you Starchaser. It's just been a busy couple of years. Which is good. Moving ain't even the half of it. Hopefully soon I'll be buying a business,  I've been in distribution my whole life, but I'm finally going to buy a franchise more or less.  So, once I get settled, I can  go full swing into more reviews. I want to get that new star destroyer that's coming out. That will be August, that's right when I'll be making big changes, so I might hold off on it. If I buy it and pack it away, the chances of me building it will be greatly diminished.

I get busy!! I certainly hope that the transitions all go well, and look forward to hearing about how it all settled out in the Fall. 

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #87 on: June 12, 2019, 06:49:56 PM »
Like I said last week, I got the Millennium Falcon Blockade Runner set as well. I wrote a review on it, but something went wrong, and I lost all I wrote. It's all good, I went ahead and put the stickers on, so I'll start with the Falcon.

The Falcon is a 1/350 ANH style. It's the same kit that came out a couple of years ago. The parts fit well, although there is one part that doesn't sit well, and leaves a slight gap, but it's not terrible. There are about 65 stickers to apply, so it's kind of a literal pain in the neck, but it's worth it. The stickers aren't very sticky, which is good and bad. The good thing it allows you to place the sticker, and move it a bit, however on occasion they start to peel. Some clear coats don't react well with the stickers, mostly aerosols, they sort of melt the stickers. I've tried it before, not pretty, but brush on coats, work well. Overall it's a cool little kit. I might go ahead and get the TESB Falcon.

I'll do a review of the Blockade Runner, once I either paint it, or apply the stickers. I'm not sure yet.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 06:56:37 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #88 on: June 13, 2019, 06:14:08 AM »
Nice, both look pretty good to me.

Off to share.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2019, 04:17:09 AM »
Nice, both look pretty good to me.

Off to share.
Thank you Tamer. I was hoping to get the Blockade Runner done, but I had a business "emergency", that ended up being a red herring. I think I'll just use the stickers. They can be tricky with curved surfaces, for example, the R5D4, had that red stripe going around it, and it's a bear to get it straight. I imagine it will be the same.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 04:55:05 AM by JDeck »