Author Topic: Bandai Star Wars model kit review.  (Read 43131 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: Bandai Star Wars model kit review.
« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2017, 01:32:18 PM »
   I got the 1/144 Snowspeeder and AT-ST. This is the set in what I call the concept line. The concept line is really difficult to get in the U.S at a reasonable price. Because they are so inexpensive it is unprofitable for anyone to ship them from Japan. In my world a 33% markup is standard for retailers, this set I paid over 100% markup. Crazy.
    On to the review. First the Snowspeeder. It is very nicly done, great details. As far as I know, it is 1/144. It does come with stickers, not water slide decals, like I'd like, but the stickers are still good. The Snowspeeder comes with a standard black stand, with a ball joint.
   The AT-ST is very nice as well. It has a ball joint head. The legs do not move at all, so sometimes it's difficult to get it to stand. It does have one sticker, depicting the TESB Hoth variation. Otherwise, it would work great in an Endor dio as well.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 01:42:21 PM by JDeck »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2017, 03:27:20 PM »
I have the 1/72 A-wing and I'm going to use the tower with the 1/144 Y-wings and can't wait to see the dio WIP pics. I got the 1/144 AT-ST/Snowspeeder as a gift and again Bandai have not disappointed with the details.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #62 on: July 19, 2017, 07:01:01 PM »
I have the 1/72 A-wing and I'm going to use the tower with the 1/144 Y-wings and can't wait to see the dio WIP pics. I got the 1/144 AT-ST/Snowspeeder as a gift and again Bandai have not disappointed with the details.

Ron
   The Y-wings look great, I haven't gotten one yet. I think I'll order a bunch of those concept line kits at one time direct from Japan. It may take a while in shipping but it beats paying too much. Does Australia get all the Bandai products? We only get the main line vehicles.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2017, 07:57:42 PM »
   The Y-wings look great, I haven't gotten one yet. I think I'll order a bunch of those concept line kits at one time direct from Japan. It may take a while in shipping but it beats paying too much. Does Australia get all the Bandai products? We only get the main line vehicles.

The Y-wings are great and the details on them is amazing. Some hobby shops do get them in but the mark up the prices so a 1/12 death trooper I can get from Japan would be in Australian dollars $35 plus $8 postage so $43 in total and the hobby shops are selling them anywhere between $55-$65 Australian.

I just buy bulk from TMD in Japan and it is cheaper and I usually get the parcel with 10-12 days.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2017, 06:37:59 AM »

The Y-wings are great and the details on them is amazing. Some hobby shops do get them in but the mark up the prices so a 1/12 death trooper I can get from Japan would be in Australian dollars $35 plus $8 postage so $43 in total and the hobby shops are selling them anywhere between $55-$65 Australian.

I just buy bulk from TMD in Japan and it is cheaper and I usually get the parcel with 10-12 days.

Ron
   I would think it would be much easier to get them seeing Japan is so close. I bought a bunch of those mini kits. 3 TIE packs, 3 Y-wings and the Millennium Falcon. It came out much cheaper, than trying to get them from a domestic seller. But it can take up to 3 weeks to arrive.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2017, 03:28:08 PM »

I would think it would be much easier to get them seeing Japan is so close. I bought a bunch of those mini kits. 3 TIE packs, 3 Y-wings and the Millennium Falcon. It came out much cheaper, than trying to get them from a domestic seller. But it can take up to 3 weeks to arrive.
[/quote]

Yeah getting them from Japan even on ebay is a lot cheaper and getting them domestically but the down fall as you mentioned is the waiting time.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2017, 05:02:08 PM »
There's always a price for convenience, but there is a limit.
  I just think it's odd that even though the figure kits are more or less banned for retail here, they are still more readily available than the Hasbro counterparts. But hey I'm not complaining.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2017, 05:28:46 PM »
  I just think it's odd that even though the figure kits are more or less banned for retail here, they are still more readily available than the Hasbro counterparts. But hey I'm not complaining.

That there is and I know what you mean about the Hasbro availability, there are only a few figures I like to get but other then that Bandai is now my first choice for figures.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #68 on: July 20, 2017, 05:34:26 PM »

That there is and I know what you mean about the Hasbro availability, there are only a few figures I like to get but other then that Bandai is now my first choice for figures.

Hasbro makes some cool aliens and oddball characters but when it comes to troopers or droids, its not even a contest. Speaking of troopers I've been eyeballing the 1/6 Stormtrooper. It might be worth getting.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 05:38:31 PM by JDeck »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2017, 03:02:29 AM »
Hasbro makes some cool aliens and oddball characters but when it comes to troopers or droids, its not even a contest. Speaking of troopers I've been eyeballing the 1/6 Stormtrooper. It might be worth getting.

Yeah I got my hands on 2 of the 6" Jawa's and want to get a few 6" Tusken Raiders. Your right there is no competition when it comes to the troopers and I have a 12" Trooper coming which should be here next week and I'll put a review up of him for you.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2017, 03:38:44 AM »

Yeah I got my hands on 2 of the 6" Jawa's and want to get a few 6" Tusken Raiders. Your right there is no competition when it comes to the troopers and I have a 12" Trooper coming which should be here next week and I'll put a review up of him for you.

Ron
   Yeah that would be great! I need to get back on track with the figure kits. Someone wants me to build them the General Grievous, so I will get him soon. He releases next week.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2017, 03:21:34 PM »
Yeah that would be great! I need to get back on track with the figure kits. Someone wants me to build them the General Grievous, so I will get him soon. He releases next week.

I'm the same with my kits as I have 18 sitting in the cupboard and another 12 coming. You'll have to show us how the Grievous kit looks once painted and built.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #72 on: July 21, 2017, 04:07:09 PM »

I'm the same with my kits as I have 18 sitting in the cupboard and another 12 coming. You'll have to show us how the Grievous kit looks once painted and built.

Ron
   I got a bunch of kits from when the Bandai kits were officially "Banned". So I bought every kit they made up to that point. Lol.
   I might not paint the Grevious usually he just wants them built without paint to display with TBS figures. It all depends what it actually looks like. The promo pics look great, but if its like Fett it'll have to be painted.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #73 on: July 21, 2017, 07:19:22 PM »
   I got a bunch of kits from when the Bandai kits were officially "Banned". So I bought every kit they made up to that point. Lol.
   I might not paint the Grevious usually he just wants them built without paint to display with TBS figures. It all depends what it actually looks like. The promo pics look great, but if its like Fett it'll have to be painted.

Yeah I was the same but I went a little nuts when I heard they weren't selling to Australia so I ordered up big time. When I get the new lot I will stop ordering kits until I complete the 30 that I will have.

Grievous doe's look good but I think they weathered him up and painted his internal organs but I think he will still look great unpainted.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #74 on: July 21, 2017, 08:05:23 PM »
When they announced the Bandai ban it was like Y2K all over again. Mass panic, and hoarding kits.
  30 kits though. Man. It shouldn't take you too long to go through them.
  I assume with grievous the eyes are decals, the armor may need to be dulled to get the plastic sheen off. I wonder how they will do his  innards. All I could see were wires, and what seems like clear green parts. The cape looks like a combination hard shell top, with soft goods. Better than the articulated cape. I cant wait to get it, just to see how it all comes together.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 08:25:26 PM by JDeck »