Author Topic: Bandai Star Wars model kit review.  (Read 43132 times)

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Bandai Star Wars model kit review.
« Reply #30 on: June 03, 2016, 09:09:10 AM »
Great review. Off to share.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #31 on: June 04, 2016, 05:17:26 AM »
Another great review mate and I have the Star Destroyer and X-wing on their way and can't wait to build them.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #32 on: June 04, 2016, 03:01:52 PM »
  Awe yeeah. I got my A-wings today, I wasn't expecting them for another week or two. Pretty rad kit. I might start building tomorrow, the first one I'll build straight out the box. The second I'll make a custom phoenix squadron A-wing.

I put the DS turret together. It's cast in grey plastic with just a hand full of parts. I really don't know what scale it is. I know its not 1/72. None the less its really cool. The details are crisp, and accurate. The guns elevate 90°, the turret traverses 360°.  I'll find something cool to do with this turret. It definitely needs paint, black canons white tower, with weathering.  With some plastic surgery you could make the tower shorter. Even though its out of scale, it still looks great along with the 1/72 fighters. Of course its pretty neat just by itself.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 07:38:35 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #33 on: June 04, 2016, 04:41:41 PM »
 I still can't figure out the scale of this turret. From the photos I have they're different sizes. One photo the top turret appears to be 10 feet tall. In 1/72 scale that would be 1.66 inches tall. The model top turret is 0.5 inches tall.  So that would be closer to 1/240 scale, if .5=120 then 1=240. I compared the 1/72 figure to the turret, the figure is 3 times too big for the turret. notice the ladder rungs on the side of the turret, its a dead giveaway. if the rungs are spaced 12" apart, and there are 6 rungs going  2/3 roughly up the turret, that tells you the turret is approximately 10 feet tall. I think it would be perfect for the FFG X-WING miniatures (1/270), possibly the 1/144, but that's a stretch. Even if the turret was 8ft tall it would still be 1/192.  Its cool they included this in the kit though, real nice addition. I like it a lot.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2016, 07:51:00 PM by JDeck »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #34 on: June 04, 2016, 10:01:48 PM »
The turrets looks amazing and they look like the are 1/350 scale. How big is the 1/144 scale X-wing next to it.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2016, 05:13:18 AM »
That turret looks great. Off to share.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2016, 07:17:02 AM »
That turret looks great. Off to share.
  Thanks Tamer. I'll build the A-wing today sometime.
The turrets looks amazing and they look like the are 1/350 scale. How big is the 1/144 scale X-wing next to it.

Ron
  On the Bandai website they claim the X-wing is 86mm, but I measured 80mm. I'll try to dig up the 1/270 x-wing miniature I have somewhere, to see how it looks.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: Bandai Star Wars model kit review. 1/72 A-wing
« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2016, 11:13:29 AM »
  Alright. I finished building the 1/72 Bandai A-wing. I love this kit, having built several of the AMT-MPC A-wing kits, this puts them to complete shame. The parts seemed to fit very smoothly, even more so than the other Bandai kits. They're making the directions in English now, I've been so used to going by the pictures I didn't notice the English text at first. the details are just incredible. I was hoping for a lighting kit for this, but that's not the case. However with a little engineering it would be easy enough to light, you'd have to use a small coin battery, and drill a few holes while your building the kit. There were a lot of tiny decals, I never knew the A-wing had so many little marks on it. I used Microflat on the decals, bandai decals just don't like to stick for some reason. It needs some black/white washes, but I wanted to show you it's true form. Altogether I like this kit, I highly recommend it for anyone.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 11:18:09 AM by JDeck »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #38 on: June 06, 2016, 12:51:03 AM »
Yeah the 1/144 scale is to big, I think it's 1/350 scale if not I have no idea.

Ron.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #39 on: June 06, 2016, 03:22:48 AM »
Looks good to me. Thanks for the review. Off to share.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #40 on: June 06, 2016, 02:38:53 PM »
Looks good to me. Thanks for the review. Off to share.
Thanks Tamer. Looks like my next review will be the 1/72 TFA Resistance T-70 X-wing (Blue). Its been out for quite a while, but I just now got one. Looks pretty cool. I didn't get into the TFA kits, except for the Falcon, cause, its the Millennium Falcon. I thought it would be cool to have the X-wing evolutionary chain from ARC-170 (Revell), T-65 and T-70.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 04:03:50 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #41 on: August 16, 2016, 06:30:51 PM »
  I got my Bandai 1/72 TIE Interceptor yesterday. Its pretty cool. The one thing I was wondering about was the wing construction. The TIE fighter had wings you had to assemble, and the TIE X1 had prefabricated wings. This kit has the unassembled wings, which is great if you want to repaint. The color is accurate in that it's slightly more bluish than the other TIE fighters, like in ROTJ. This kit has 3 window options clear, grey and black. Other than that, and the wings its the same as the TIE fighter. It comes with the typical sitting pilot.  I still don't know why these new kits come with a 2D silhouette figure, it used to come with standing and sitting figures. They're skimping out on me here. At least the instructions are in English, which comes in handy sometimes. Cool kit I may put it together tomorrow. I still have the Clone Trooper I haven't built yet. I may not pre-order bandai kits anymore by the time I got this, I could have bought one on Amazon prime cheaper with free shipping. Unless I'm getting multiple kits.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 07:52:34 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2016, 03:52:07 AM »
Nice Review. I think the SDestroyer was the last one I picked up. I need to go see if there are any new ones I want to pick up. Off to share.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2017, 04:49:43 AM »
  I finally bought the Bandai 1/144 AT-AT. I've been waiting for this since that one video of the motorized version of this AT-AT.  Back in 2014.
    I'm not sure of the parts count, but I estimate it to be about 134, about the same as the 1/144 TFA Falcon. The parts are mostly cast in a light grey plastic. The little drivers are also in the light plastic. Not sure why they didn't cast it with the white parts. The kit also comes with a white snowy display base.  There are also clear red parts for the view port and laser effects.
   The instructions are in both English and Japanese. I noticed they are now being distributed in the U.S, by Bluefin. However they do not distribute the figure kits, only the vehicles. The kit only comes with a few small decals 2 for the Pilot's helmets, and 3 small silhouettes for the view port.
    I will be building this up in the next couple of days, so stay tuned for the rest of the review.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2017, 05:19:40 AM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2017, 05:33:12 AM »
I got one a few months back, but haven't taken the time to build it. I will follow this closely. Off to share.