Author Topic: Bandai Star Wars model kit review.  (Read 43138 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Bandai 1/144 TFA Millennium Falcon review: summary.
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2016, 03:27:43 PM »
  I'm going to pretty much wrap up this review, and continue posting my progress in my models/miscellaneous feed. Since the rest of the build will be custom paint, and diorama.

I built the Falcon with the optional open hatch/boarding door. It looks absolutely awesome! If you put a light inside or something it would look sweet. I put on some of my preassembled parts to show how it looks complete. I love all the little greebles and details this thing has, and its only 1/144 scale.  The length comes out to about 7 inches more or less, so its substantial, but not huge. Overall I really like this kit. My favorite Bandai kit yet. The only drawback I can see is, I really wanted it to have the parabolic radar dish. Its the same 5 footer design as the TESB & ROTJ Falcon, although I think some of the greebles are unique to TFA, but it would have worked. You might be able to find a remanufactured FineMolds radar dish, somewhere. You could even take the dish off, for a battle of Endor look. But that's the only complaint, I have. Once its painted/weathered and the decals placed it'll be one tough Falcon.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 06:17:13 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Bandai Star Wars model kit review.
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2016, 03:46:43 AM »
I am really liking your kit reviews. I so have to pick up some.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2016, 05:15:50 AM »
I am really liking your kit reviews. I so have to pick up some.
  Thanks Tamer! I try to be thorough enough to where there aren't any surprises. These kits are highly addictive. I would start off with the Stormtrooper and TIE fighter. They don't have any special variations, just a straight build. It'll allow you to get used to the Japanese instructions. The instructions are VERY well illustrated, almost dummy proof. There's certain cues they give in the instructions for certain parts. Like arrows and numbers, that tell you how the parts fit and in what order. You have to figure it out. When you do, its sort of like cracking a code. The first kit I built was the C-3PO, I got a little confused on the arm variations. The great thing is, if you make a mistake, like if you put something on backwards, you can take it apart again.
   The Bandai kits and even SH.Figuarts don't have the scalpers markup like Hasbro does. On Amazon you can get the older kits, like Stormtrooper , Vader, TIE fighter, for less than retail value. Less than $20, thats a deal. That's one reason I just deal with Bandai, for the most part.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 01:09:46 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Bandai Star Destroyer. Review.
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2016, 02:21:05 PM »
  I got my Bandai Star Destroyer today! I gotta tell you the details are really sharp, i mean really sharp. I cant even capture the detail on camera, but believe me, this little kit is jammed pack with detail. It comes in  a fairly small box, with four sprues for the kit plus one sprue for the stand. The instructions are written on the underside of the lid. The instructions are in English, which is great, but strange, since all the other kits are all written in Japanese. Obviously no decals. You really don't need to paint it, but I might shoot it with some Tamiya British Light Grey. Since it is the Star Destroyer Avenger it should have a slightly bluish tint. It arrived sooner than expected. I ordered it from Hobby_Japan on eBay for a fair price. I can't wait to put it together.

BTW, MSRP is $6 American, so don't get scammed.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 04:23:30 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Bandai Star Destroyer. Review.
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2016, 04:14:35 PM »
  I finished the Star Destroyer. It took me 10 minutes or so. Real simple build, no trick parts, everything fits. There are a few very small gaps, which is no big deal. The length is about 4" width is 1.5". Its a really neat kit. Just like all Bandai Star Wars It didn't disappoint.  These small kits, named the concept series, so far are very good, same detail as the big kits just smaller and cheaper. According to the box the paint recommendation is 75% white 25% gull grey.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2016, 09:43:14 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2016, 02:46:00 AM »
I couldn't find Hobby Japan, but I did find this link:

eBay Star Destroyer Search

If you want to pm me a link or post it here I can get that set up too. It looks great, gonna have to have one of those, off to share on the front page.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2016, 06:04:31 AM »
I couldn't find Hobby Japan, but I did find this link:

eBay Star Destroyer Search

If you want to pm me a link or post it here I can get that set up too. It looks great, gonna have to have one of those, off to share on the front page.
Yeah your right he sold out. And there aren't many left from other sellers. Geez these things sold like crazy. Looks like seller: sfhm1122 has the best deal, $8.09+$3.00 s+h.   I haven't bought from them, so I can't vouch for them. But I would go for it.  They're still $14+free s+h on amazon, that's not a terrible deal, but not ideal. The x-wing is on Amazon Prime for $12. Hobby_Japan still has the x-wing, I ordered three with combined shipping.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 08:20:50 AM by JDeck »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2016, 10:56:10 PM »
Thanks mate that was a great review, I was deciding if I should get this kit or not but now I will cheers buddy.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2016, 04:42:54 AM »
Can you get me a link for hobby japan? I will add them to our favorite eBay Sellers so I can check em from time to time.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2016, 08:24:58 AM »
Thanks mate that was a great review, I was deciding if I should get this kit or not but now I will cheers buddy.

Ron
Thanks bud.
  I painted mine up a bit, nothing fancy. But if you give it a couple thin coats those small seam lines disappear. That was my only moan about the kit, once its painted, it's perfect.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #25 on: May 17, 2016, 11:57:48 AM »
I can't wait to get mine. JDeck your reviews have definitely pushed me to pick up Bandai. They are really great kits I do agree.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #26 on: May 17, 2016, 03:52:57 PM »

I can't wait to get mine. JDeck your reviews have definitely pushed me to pick up Bandai. They are really great kits I do agree.
  Thanks Tamer. Your lucky to get one, this morning I thought about ordering a couple more, and he was sold out. I'm sure he'll re supply, as fast as they're selling. That's one huge reason I'm into Bandai, is they produce mass quantities of these kits. I got fed up with Walmart not having product, I don't even go to the Star Wars isle anymore. Bandai kits usually stay at MSRP, from respectable sellers, because of the amount produced. So they aren't "collectable", for those looking for a financial investment. I just think they're the coolest star wars kits ever, and they're enjoyable to build, without breaking the bank.   That's what its all about, for me.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2016, 06:49:22 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2016, 02:02:13 AM »
Amen.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2016, 02:53:17 PM »
  I got my Bandai 1/144 X-wings today. I opened the mailbox and one side of the box was crushed, I was worried. However after opening, the individual boxes were undamaged. So hats off to Hobby_Japan.

The pieces are very nicely detailed. Much like the 1/72 version but half the size and fewer parts. It has the sticker decals, no waterslide. The markings are for Luke's Red5, I would love for a manufacturer to make decals for x-wings other than Red5, but that's a Pipedream. It only has the R2 unit head, no R5 like the 1/72 version, no BFD, at this scale it doesn't matter a whole lot. The cockpit canopy is solid one piece, not hollow. No landing gear, but the wings can be moved to attack position, or cruising.  Again directions are on the underside of the lid, in English. So cool kit, especially for less than $6.00
  So I'll build one of these bad boys up and see how it looks. Stay tuned.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 05:05:22 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: Bandai Star Wars model kit review. Prototype series x-wing 002.
« Reply #29 on: June 02, 2016, 05:09:16 PM »
  Alrighty. I assembled the "non scale" (1/144) X-wing today. I'm telling you this is the x-wing I've been waiting for. Its small, and inexpensive. I could build an entire squadron of these without breaking the bank. They're twice as big as the x-wing miniatures, half the size of the 1/72, at a fraction of the cost. The level of detail is comparable to the 1/72. However it has no landing gear or cockpit interior. The level of quality is consistent with the other Bandai kits.

Build time was approximately 15-20 minuets.  Again no trick parts everything fits like its supposed to. The details are great, proportions are correct. All around good kit.
   I didn't add the decals, because I'm building a custom non red squadron X-wing. Personally I'd like to see an x-wing other than one from red squadron. One squadron in the entire rebel fleet is unbelievable.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 05:43:22 PM by JDeck »