Author Topic: Build yourself a 6" scale power droid *GONK* Tutorial  (Read 4196 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Build yourself a 6" scale power droid *GONK* Tutorial
« on: August 02, 2015, 04:21:28 PM »
 I think it would be cool if I did some kind of tutorial for my 6" scale GONK droid. So if anyone is interested take a look. I'm going to make this as simple as possible and if I can do it most people can too. The main supplies you'll need are two small containers with lids about the size of baby food containers, I've found them at Family Dollar, amazon, just look around a little. You also need about two inches of plastic conduit, super glue, styrene/ grocery store card, sand paper, greebles/ bits of plastic, anything that looks cool, pen tops toy pieces model kit pieces etc. Also epoxy clay to make the feet, I also use it for body filler/putty.

The first step is the hardest. You'll be making the GONK's faceplate. What I do is take a vaccu-formed piece of plastic from a container of nails, section it to a desired size. Then glue the two sectioned pieces to a backplate made of styrene. Then cut a hole in the front of one of the containers used for GONK's body, so the edge of the faceplate will rest around the hole. If your sloppy with cutting like i am you can always putty and sand it down. That will do it for step #1.

« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 05:02:06 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
build a power droid tutorial pt.2
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 04:36:30 PM »
 Step 2 is putting the body together. I suggest adding some sand, BBs or small nails inside the bottom cup. It gives it a lower center of gravity, and can shift the weight to allow him to stand better. Then just glue the two cups together with the lids on , and putty over the seams. Give it a good sanding all over to allow the glue to adhere better to the surface. Then you can add your details. That's about it for the body. The cool thing is since the lids are glued together the top can be removed, allowing you to add details and machinery inside.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 05:02:55 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: Build yourself a 6" scale power droid *GONK* Tutorial pt.3
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 06:56:54 PM »
  Next step is building the legs/feet. I use 1/2" plastic conduit you could use 1/4" a little less than an inch long for each leg. Real simple I attached the conduit to the bottom of the droid using epoxy clay. It gives it a stronger hold than just gluing it. The feet are made of epoxy clay as well. You don't have to be Michaelangelo to do this, just real simple rectangles. You can add as much detail as you would like. I always give it a good going over with a fingernail file after it cures, just to get straight lines. If they look like Micky Mouse legs its alright, it'll look good when its painted. I'll also add tubes attaching the body to the feet, made out of heavy aluminium armature wire, but that's optional. Then its ready for paint!
    Next installment I'll give simple paint preparation and application hints As well as the FINAL PRODUCT!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 08:46:37 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: Build yourself a 6" scale power droid *GONK* Tutorial
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 04:13:31 PM »
  Alright, we are down the homestretch, and now for the fun part. Its now time to paint your power droid. For those who are new to painting I'll give you some pointers. First you want to etch the surface to allow the paint to stick. You can use medium sandpaper but scotch brite pads are the  best. Then clean it off with a baby wipe, to get the oils and dust off. Then just paint it. I like using basic flat colors, like green, blue/grey, yellow/tan, etc. Personally I like blue/grey but I already have one, so I'll make mine flat green. I like to paint the faceplate, panels, outlets, etc. flat grey, to give him variation in color. Once he's dried I like to weather him A LOT.  I like to lightly dry brush him with silver paint in certain places (simulating scuffs/abrasions). I love using oil based washes.  I grind black pastel chalk into some oderless turpentine substitute (but linseed oil is the best) to make a oily wash. Wash the entire droid with it and let it dry. And that's it! You just made a 6" scale power droid!.
   Its a fun 2-3 day build. No two are the same, with endless possibilities. If anyone wants to post their Power droid please feel free to post them here. I'd like to see other people's variations.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 04:56:16 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 07:51:21 PM »
Here is an example of some of the cool details  and variants you can make. I added an internal generator under his removable top half. Just made out of model kit parts. I haven't gotten a chance to weather it yet, but you can see what I'm after.
   Also a look at my original prototype. Painted blue/grey.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 09:03:39 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 06:48:58 AM »
Trying to keep my comments out of here and I will delete this one later, but so cool. I am sharing. Thanks so much for creating this tutorial.

Offline Stan

• Commander
  • All Hail the Empire!
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 10:49:05 AM »
Awesome build, love your gonk droids! Excellent attention to details!!!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 12:07:13 PM »
Trying to keep my comments out of here and I will delete this one later, but so cool. I am sharing. Thanks so much for creating this tutorial.
Its alright I don't mind comments at the end, just not in the middle. But thanks for the encouragement and the exposure.
Awesome build, love your gonk droids! Excellent attention to details!!!
Thanks a bunch! You can never have too much detail especially in this scale.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 02:29:13 AM »
Awesome tutorial buddy.

Ron