Author Topic: Serpentine joints  (Read 4129 times)

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
Serpentine joints
« on: July 27, 2015, 06:18:06 PM »
I promised a while back to share this technique with ISY.  I used it for my Cane Adiss heads, but you could apply it to any creature that requires a long flexible body part, like a Dionaga neck or Oppo Ranciss' tail. 

Start off finding a metal bendy coil from a cheap reading lamp or a mini tripod.  They're basically two metal springs wrapped tightly together.  You can find these things cheap at Walmart, 5 Below or Good Will.  They bend just like a serpent's neck, but wont eventually snap like a wire will. 

I covered the bendy arms with foam using Locktite flexible fabric glue. I glued the edges of the foam together, keeping it free from the metal.  I trimmed the foam up to the right thickness with fine scissors.  This also added a nice texture.

These were the first two attempts, which I scrapped.  I finally got the technique down after a few hours.

To make the skin, I used a material called nitrile and the same Locktite glue.   Nitrile is used to make hospital gloves, and its benefits are flexibility and paintability.  It will take fabric paint nicely and fabric paint doesn't rub off when you touch or move it.   Permanent markers might work, but I found they gunk up pretty easily.  I would suggest painting the nitrile the base color, before gluing it around the foam. 

Depending on the length of the bendy arm, wrapping the whole thing is beyond my skills so I did it in about 2 inch segments.  If pulled at the right tension, you get the folds that look just like Cane's neck.  This is not an easy task.  It was pretty difficult to glue and hold and not make a mess. I started at noon one day and when my wife called me to dinner, I had just about finished.  I couldn't believe it spent a whole day putting skin on a pair of necks.  The second neck went much faster though. To get the ridged look, to glue the edges of the nitrile pieces together, keeping it loose from the foam.  If you want something smoother, try gluing the nitrile directly onto the foam.  Try not to use too much glue, as it really soaks in.

When you have the right length to cover your bendy arm, it's time to trim the metal.  I used a Dremel cutting blade.  Finally, I glued the nitrile to the body and the head and finished it off by smoothing Aves over the edges.  That was easy and turned out better than I thought.  Finally, I painted on the finished details.

A word of warning.
Evilivo from ISY brought up a good point.  Nitrile gives a nice leathery appearance, but I don't know how long it will last.  After two years, Cane still is still holding up well, but in the long, long run, I don't know if the skin will start to crack.

Also remember
The metal bendy arm is much heavier than plastic.  I had to put about 8 oz of lead fishing weights into Cane's butt to counter balance the  necks.

Also
« Last Edit: July 30, 2015, 05:33:14 AM by Sjefke »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: Serpentine joints
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015, 06:53:04 PM »
Awesome its like the same technique as the stop motion puppets. I like to do the same for figures and monsters I build. For skin I like to use either gauze or tissue paper (depending on the type of skin) covered in liquid latex (same kind used to make molds or Halloween masks). I never used Nitrel though, Very cool!!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2015, 08:10:14 PM by JDeck »

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 07:43:16 AM »
For skin I like to use either gauze or tissue paper (depending on the type of skin) covered in liquid latex (same kind used to make molds or Halloween masks).

Thanks Man
I used the nitrile because it simulated the covering the creature shop used on the puppet.  I was wearing a pair of gloves that was one size too small and my hands got a little sweaty.  The nitrile was riding up my fingers and making little ridges and I said to myself, "Hmmmm.  That looks like Cane Adiss' necks".
! LIGHTBULB !
I like your idea though, and I just found an inexpensive source for liquid latex.  One of the reasons I haven't posted anything lately is that I've been experimenting with it for making molds.  If I had to do it again, I'd try another material, like the latex.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 09:19:18 AM by Sjefke »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 08:44:07 AM »
The nitrile definitely worked. Its always funny how inspiration hits like a ton of bricks. It can be the simplest thing sometimes.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2015, 09:08:58 AM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 10:28:00 AM »
Wow, what a great reference. Thank you for sharing it with us! Time to go share this on the front page.

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015, 08:10:31 PM »
Wow, what a great reference. Thank you for sharing it with us! Time to go share this on the front page.
Thanks Tamer.
I hope this can be helpful to somebody.

Offline CandyBlues

• Ensign
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 08:02:56 PM »
I love this build man, super cool character.
I getting ready to make molds for my Darth Plagueis hands.
The rubber & wire combo method i've come up with has been juggled around in my melon for months now.