Author Topic: Covering joints on 1/12 Bandai Stormtrooper  (Read 6858 times)

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
Covering joints on 1/12 Bandai Stormtrooper
« on: May 09, 2015, 03:29:11 AM »
Hi All,

I'm making a new Sandtrooper dio using the Bandai Stormtroopers and want the figures to still be articulated but I don't want the joints to show mainly on the arm and leg joints.

I cut up a black balloon to different sizes and then rolled and attached the two ends on all pieces and let them dry for a few hours.

PIC - 1. I covered the thigh section of the troopers legs and glued the balloon to the edges of the lower thigh. Once the glue dried I then pushed the thigh sections back into place as per PIC - 2 & PIC - 3.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
Re: Covering joints on 1/12 Bandai Stormtrooper
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 03:33:55 AM »
PIC - 4 & PIC - 5. I then did the same covering process on the elbow and shoulder section but with the shoulder section make sure you very lightly make a small cut so the section that the shoulder armour attaches to can protrude thru.

PIC - 6 & PIC - 7. The shoulder section is re-attached and then the shoulder armour is also re-attached.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 03:39:03 AM »
PIC - 8 & PIC - 9. Next up is the elbow joints and again cover them and re-attach them and also the bicep armour covers.

PIC - 10. Once the bicep armour covers are re-attached do the same to the forearm armour sections and also the hands

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 03:42:26 AM »
PIC - 11. Re-attached the knee joint back into the thigh armour and the re-attach the calf armour.

PIC - 12 & PIC - 13. Shows the completed process with the trooper on the right and with the non joint covered trooper on the left.

Ron
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 01:37:12 PM by hemble »

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2015, 04:24:45 AM »
Another one who sacrifices sleep for creativity.
Ron, that's pure genius. What a perfect idea

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2015, 01:23:19 PM »
What a great way to cover the joints and still retain full articulation! It looks fantastic! Off to share.

I can only wonder if this type of treatment would work for other six inch Imperials with the black areas where the joints are. Heck for that matter you could match color on just about any balloon. I know you hate seeing those joints and man did you find a great way to cover em up and still keep the movement. This might be the custom breakthrough of the decade!

Off to share.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2015, 05:41:52 PM »
Hi All,

Another one who sacrifices sleep for creativity.
Ron, that's pure genius. What a perfect idea

Thanks buddy and no sleep lost here all up it only took me roughly 25 minutes all up, that's from cutting the balloons to attaching the parts back together.

What a great way to cover the joints and still retain full articulation! It looks fantastic! Off to share.

I can only wonder if this type of treatment would work for other six inch Imperials with the black areas where the joints are. Heck for that matter you could match color on just about any balloon. I know you hate seeing those joints and man did you find a great way to cover em up and still keep the movement. This might be the custom breakthrough of the decade!

Off to share.

Cheers Shawn I did do something like the for my Hardened Veteran Trooper a few years back but I only did the shoulders and the suit was made to look ripped.

I belive you could do it with the 6" BS but you would have to glue the edges to the armour etc and make it long enough so that it wouldn't rip or loose articulation.

Ron

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2015, 05:47:53 PM »
Hi All,

I have had a few questions on articulation with by adding the balloons to the joints and does it affect it at all so I thought I would add some pics to show that articulation is not affected.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 05:57:24 AM »
I just think this is awesome. I would love to get you back on CAFN to do an interview about how to do this. Perhaps even have you do a small demonstration on video if you are game.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 10:52:12 PM »
I just think this is awesome. I would love to get you back on CAFN to do an interview about how to do this. Perhaps even have you do a small demonstration on video if you are game.

Hey Shawn send me a PM when you are wanting me on, I'll be more then happy to come back on.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 03:00:19 AM »
Will do Ron. Make sure you have a web cam!

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2015, 03:06:43 AM »
Will do Ron. Make sure you have a web cam!

Will do