Author Topic: Shadows of the Empire's Outrider confirmed as canon  (Read 1949 times)

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
  • Proud member of Red Sox Nation
    • Star Wars Reviews
Shadows of the Empire's Outrider confirmed as canon
« on: April 30, 2015, 06:59:50 PM »
A buddy of mine I work with sent me this article. The Outrider has now been confirmed as canon. However, it does say that even though the Outrider is now canon, there was no mention of the story and characters in Shadows being canon.

They should just make SOTE canon. There isn't anything about it that really changes anything and it is between Empire and ROTJ. It's my favorite story so maybe I'm just being biased.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/30/shadows-of-the-empires-outrider-confirmed-as-star-wars-canon
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Shadows of the Empire's Outrider confirmed as canon
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2015, 02:41:03 AM »
Kind of weird they would just make an EU Ship canon and not any of the characters. I think they can say what they want,  most of us have our most popular SW Characters in the EU. I have always wanted to read a new SOTE Book to see what happened to the female Android Luke let go (Xizor's body guard).

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
  • Proud member of Red Sox Nation
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2015, 06:25:57 PM »
I 100% agree Tamer. It makes no sense to take the Outrider and make it canon, but nothing else. We may have been jumping the gun though, as a new article has popped up. It says (very briefly) that the interior of the Outrider is fan-made. No other articles have come out (yet) confirming or denying it.

http://www.starwars.com/news/all-craft-prepare-to-jump-into-hyperspace-on-my-mark

I also checked wookiepedia, and the Outrider is still listed as being under Legends, confirming as of now its still non-canon. I checked the comments, or 'talk' tab and it says the following:

Official interior set

According to IGN, an interior model of the Outrider was made and the ship is officially part of Canon. A plaque confirms the ship's name is Outrider. Outrider's owner and anything it may have done outside of its "cameo" in A New Hope are still Legends material.Tanzeelat (talk) 21:56, April 30, 2015 (UTC)

I'm not sure I agree with IGN's assessment. Most of the props at Celebration were fan-made (Wikia had signs to go along with a number of them, which were built largely by the Belgian 501st). Plus, the display images that are actually being shown were the Millennium Falcon interior set, made by fans - and were marked as such at Celebration. I never saw any sort of Outrider set anywhere. Additionally, "officially-sanctioned" is not the same thing as "officially official" or whatever you want to call it. I'd like to see official confirmation that the name Outrider is canon before we add anything about it. Plus, even if we did add a canonical page about it, there's virtually nothing to say other than the fact that it flew over Mos Eisley. It's in the movie, yes, but it's only really notable in Legends. - Brandon Rhea(talk) 22:02, April 30, 2015 (UTC)

Tamer, as for Guri you should check out Shadows of the Empire: Evolution. It's a sequel to SOTE and written by the same author, Steve Perry. I have yet to check it out myself.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Shadows_of_the_Empire:_Evolution
« Last Edit: May 01, 2015, 06:27:41 PM by Goldleaderone »
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2015, 10:04:51 PM »
Well, its considered canon because it was added to episode IV. Anything in the movies are indeed canon. According to the article they are now considering Clone Wars and Rebels canon too. Why don't they just make the Droids and Ewoks cartoons Canon too and the holiday special while they're at it. To me only what is in the 6 movies should be canon. Really the only thing canon about the outrider is its basic shape. The interior,  the pilot and  any specific details are alleged.   Unless they add it to rebels or the upcoming movies. What is revealed is that the ship you can barely see in mos eisly is named the Outrider. But don't get me wrong its kind of a big deal, The Outrider does "exist"  in canonical terms. Before you could only assume or say its a ship the same model as the Outrider.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 12:13:45 AM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2015, 03:01:01 AM »
I didn't know they had another SOTE book. I will definitely be picking that up thanks.

Offline The Spectre

• Global Moderator
  • High Admiral
  • Customizing Spirit Of Wrath
    • The Spectreverse
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2015, 04:27:13 AM »
I didn't know they had another SOTE book. I will definitely be picking that up thanks.

"Shadows Of The Empire: Evolution" is a 4 issue comic book mini series, not a novel. It was pretty good and not only brought Guri's story to a conclusion, it reveals the fate of another SOTE character to be different than initially thought.

I recommend it.
Founding Member Of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals)

Founding Member Of The CSOTC (Customize Something Other Than Clones) Society

Visit me on Facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000474627568

https://www.facebook.com/Spectreverse/

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2015, 07:51:36 AM »
I will have to go find that then. I wish I had known about this when I hit a few cons this spring. I bet I can find em online somewhere. Thanks for the information folks.

Offline Rezikai

• Lieutenant
  • Drawing Star Wars comics since 1986!
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2015, 01:02:16 PM »
I will have to go find that then. I wish I had known about this when I hit a few cons this spring. I bet I can find em online somewhere. Thanks for the information folks.

SOTE: Evolution was decent Tamer I suggest it to if you're a fan of Guri (as i was to) also if you want a pre-SOTE story of possibly my favorite character (and soon to be customized fig) Wrenga Jixxon "Jix" he's the main character of the 1 shot comic Shadow Stalker.

Takes place shortly before the rebels use Hoth as their base and ties in the side characters to the old Marvel comics EU characters IIRC. I recomend it to.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2015, 02:14:33 AM »
I will have to add that one to the list too. Thanks!