Author Topic: Introducing Star Wars to your children  (Read 933 times)

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
Introducing Star Wars to your children
« on: April 25, 2015, 07:11:19 AM »
Last night my girls (9 and 6 y/o) watched ANH for the first time. I was very curious to see their reactions to the movie, since they've never really shown any interest in SW before. SW has always been some goofy hobby of their slightly deranged father ;)

Well, I couldn't be more proud of them! They were immediately impressed with the opening sequence, once the Star Destroyer came in view. They quickly recognized 'good' from 'evil' and asked questions all through the movie. Normally I despise people asking me questions when watching a movie, but this was more of a cinematic education, so I was happy to oblige :)

They were humoured by R2's and 3PO's bickering and actions. Luke being parentless also impressed them and when Owen and Beru had died, they felt even more sorry for him.

Ben's death really got to them and the attack on the Death Star had them sitting on the edge of the couch.

I myself had a little scare early on in the movie when Leia was brought before Darth Vader. Since we have subtitles here in Holland and names are not translated, the subs of course read "Darth Vader". "Vader" is Dutch for "father", so my oldest asked: "Is that her father?" Yikes!  :o  I quickly explained the translation issue and the matter was resolved. Phew!

Tonight we will watch TESB and tomorrow night ROTJ.

To other dads (and moms): when did you introduce your children to the GFFA, how did you go about it (OT, PT, toons?) and what kind of effect did it have on your younglings?

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Introducing Star Wars to your children
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 07:12:25 AM »
Sounds like a cool plan to introduce your kids to the movies.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
Re: Introducing Star Wars to your children
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2015, 02:05:15 PM »
It is, Tamer, it's great. Like I said, tonight we watched TESB together. It was awesome to hear my girls' reactions to the events. Such as "Didn't see that one coming" on the Wampa attack and "what the heck is he doing?!" when Han made Luke a makeshift sleeping bag.

But it seems my oldest has a keen eye for military tactics. When the AT-ATs came into view, she immediately said two Snowspeeders should tow a cable and trip the walkers. She couldn't have been more close to the truth :D

And both girls were very sad when Han was being frozen :( Vader's revelation was met with typical Dutch nonchalance, but that little old man (i.e. Ben Kenobi) was labeled a liar pretty quick ;)

And Yoda impressed them big time.

Man, it's great to watch these timeless movies with the kiddos. Can't wait for tomorrow night, when it's time to witness the Return of the Jedi. Oh dear, I'd better strap myself in for the dead Ewok moment....