Author Topic: Celebration Europe 3 - London, July 15-17 2016  (Read 2906 times)

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
Celebration Europe 3 - London, July 15-17 2016
« on: April 21, 2015, 05:19:54 AM »
Alright! Celebrating Star Wars will continue in London, where Celebration Europe 3 will be held from July 15-17 2016!

Tickets are already available for purchase at http://www.starwarscelebration.com/

I had a great time back in July 2007 and even more fun in Essen in 2013. I have already marked this new event, because I am definitely going :D

I'll try to update this thread as much as possible, much like I did for Celebration Europe 2.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Celebration Europe 3 - London, July 15-17 2016
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2015, 08:01:33 AM »
Glad to see some of our folks are gonna go! I can't even remotely commit at this point, but am feeling pretty bummed by C7 Trip didn't work out.

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 03:57:42 AM »
Apologies for dropping off the radar for so long. That's life right there for ya :/

Anyway, I thought I'd chime in just in time for the kickoff of the third European installment of Celebration. I'll be heading off to London with a friend this Thursday morning and we're both super excited for what's to come.

I hope to see some Yarders there as well, so if you're going to London, feel free to shoot me a pm. I'd love to get in touch and discuss the pros and cons of installing a small vent hole in a space station and such :p

At the last SWCE in Essen, Germany, I was accompanied by a fellow from Chicago and it just so happens he'll be at this Celebration as well. Pretty cool to catch up with him.

First thing I'll do on Friday is head off to the tattoo pavillion to make an appointment for Sunday. I've got a couple of ideas to get some more SW themed ink done :D

I'll also be checking out the art show and believe it or not, I'll even dress up as a stylish Stormtrooper.

Hope to meet some of you this weekend!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 05:26:01 AM »
That is awesome Remco, take lots of pics and we can feature all your forays here at Isy this weekend!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2016, 04:54:09 AM »
Folks be sure to follow our front page, Twitter Feed, and Facebook Page as Remco shares his Celebration London Experience with us. And thanks Remco!

http://imperialshipyards.net/

http://twitter.com/The_Shipyards

https://www.facebook.com/imperialshipyards.net/

Offline Mr. Black

• Global Moderator
  • Brigadier
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 01:01:27 PM »
So I'm back home from what was all in all another great European SW Celebration! I was also present at the first SWCE, back in 2007, which was also in London. However, I was there only for one day. In 2013, as some of you know, I went to Essen, Germany, to attend all three days.

The big difference between Essen '13 and London '16 is that London had a lot more visitors, making it more difficult to see everything one wanted to see. I didn't take as many pictures as i did in Germany, but that's also because I decided to do a cosplay of some sorts. I recently bought an EFX ST helmet and ordered a pristine white business suit. The suit is still on its way, but I happened to have a black suit as a backup:

SWCE01 by Remco Zwart, on Flickr

I enjoyed my first little steps in cosplay immensely! I got so many awesome reactions to my costume, which isn't the most original one, but I guess as a whole it worked out pretty good. Loved the reactions I got from little children, giving high fives, wanting a picture with me... Just brilliant stuff.

I'll be adding more pictures to this flickr album, as well as pictures taken by my friend and travel companion.

As for news and such, I guess most of you have been following the official feed updates on Rogue One and Rebels S3. I missed out on both and many other panels, all due to the wristband policy. Kind of a bummer, because the queues for the wristbands opened the night before, but the wristbands were handed out starting 6 a.m. the following morning. So by the time we arrived (between 9 and 10 a.m.), the wristbands for that day were already unavailable.

Furthermore, you could only get two wristbands, so you had to choose even though you were planning on seeing more panels.

Luckily you could stand in line at the various stages once the panels had started and you could still get in, because not all seats were filled. Bit of a strange concept for me to experience for the first time, but my buddy Craig from Chicago (who I went to CE2 with and who was also present in London), told me it is what it is and that you guys in the USA have had to deal with this longer.

Anyway, I don't want to sound too negative about all this. Like I said, SWCE3 was a blast. I talked to quite a  few fans from many different countries and enjoyed seeing all these great costumes people wore these three days. I attended the costume contest and boy.... the winner.... Wow. Just wow. Grummgar (the humungous Trandoshan like bloke in Maz' castle) was just terrific.

You can see some really cool pics (not mine) of the contest over here:

http://comicsalliance.com/best-cosplay-ever-star-wars-celebration-europe-day-two/

I also desperately tried to get another tattoo done at Celebration, but all of the artist were fully booked. I spoke to Shane Turgeon (writer of the Force in the Flesh books) and he told me it's been absolutely crazy since they introduced the tattoo pavillion at SWC events. He told me that as soon as the tattoo experience is announced for an upcoming SWC, they get tons of e-mails asking for appointments. So I guess I'll have to be sharper next time ;) Also bought volume II of TFITF and had it signes by Shane. Awesome guy to talk to and very happy to have met him.

Two movies were shown this weekend: ANH and TFA. Always wonderful to watch a SW movie with nothing but SW fans in the hall.

Of course I bought some goodies for myself, but also for my daughters. They've become such devoted SW fans and I really didn't push them. All I did last year was having a movie weekend (my girls: yaaaaaaay!), but it had to be the OT (my girls: booooooo!). But ever since the opening scenes of ANH, they've been hooked (me: yaaaaaaaay!) :D

SW was part of my childhood and it's so great to see it touched new generations just as much. My girls want to go to SWC too now, so I'll definitely try to fit that in next time SWC comes to Europe.

MTFWBY all and I'll work on getting my pics up asap.

MrB

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 05:03:51 AM »
Very cool Remco. Great idea.

I need to get this adventure onto the front page!