Author Topic: Rogue One  (Read 27861 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: Rogue One
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2015, 06:33:11 AM »
 I think it looks pretty cool. At first I though it was another hobbit movie mixed in with Mad Max. I view the rebellion era as being a sort of post apocalyptic time. All the vehicles are old and Jerry rigged. The only ones with money is the Empire. The only movie that had rebel aliens was ROTJ the other two just had a bunch of white people. This one you have a more diverse group, that was always the big complaint is that SW wasn't diverse enough, even though there are hundreds of different aliens. The uniforms for the most part look star wars-y. I don't know why that guy has an Ewok stick though. It'll be pretty cool. 

That one guy looks exactly like Biggs Darklighter. Perhaps it is Biggs. The other guy has republic armor, so he must be a former clone trooper. Personally Im much more interested in this movie than ep.7.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 08:47:46 AM by JDeck »

Offline huttman

• Cadet
  • Sofisticus Sluggus
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2015, 09:13:35 AM »
I saw the cast pic and then read the comments below it and they mirror my sentiments exactly. Wanting to do something new while feeling the old is a balance I hope they achieve as I don't feel it with this first 'official' pic. The animated show Rebels is a great example of combining something new while still really feeling like Star Wars and I think they should take their cues from that. As a matter of fact, they should let Dave Filoni helm this movie and my trepidation would be much lower.

Offline Mandalore25

• Colonel
  • For Mandalore!
    • DarthArmoressCustoms
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2015, 09:43:30 AM »
Dave Filoni does a good job of making the cartoons have that star wars feel, at least a consultant basis with him would probably be a good idea. The empire being the only ones with money isn't true, economics wise it was about the same as the clone wars (well in some cases more prosperous due to poor kids could become solders, and earn a decent living, though aliens had a hard time making a living), but was a less prosperous time in terms of development due to the empire contracted, or forced all innovators to work for them without publicly sharing advances. The movies still had Chewbacca as a rebel (otherwise JDeck is right), and 2 droids C-3po, and R2-D2. Having a droid, or alien being part of the cast promotes the star wars feel. Like rebels half human, but a familiar droid, and alien, along with a new alien, grounds us in star wars, but expands on it. Not a big fan of Rebels myself, but it does a great job in this sense.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2015, 10:08:11 AM »
     I'm sure the Empire taxed the heck out of people if they had money. That's why there are so many smugglers and bounty hunters, quick tax free cash. You can't have a prosperous economy if new technology is only reserved for the Empire. The reason Cloud city was prosperous was because it was hidden from the Empire.
     I think this photo was just sort of thrown together. Some of the props look like the ones from ep.7. Its more than a year before the movie comes out so they won't show anything good. I don't think the movie will have any mainline star wars characters. Meybe c3po and r2 but I doubt it. Like I said it may have some minor characters like Biggs or Wedge Antilles. I'm sure there will be plenty of aliens and droids but its way too early to reveal them publicly. I read a rumor of that girl's back story  allegedly, I hope its not true though.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2015, 11:19:58 AM by JDeck »

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
  • Proud member of Red Sox Nation
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2015, 11:25:59 AM »
While it's cool to see a picture of the cast, it does give off that 'post-apocalyptic' feel to it rather then a Star Wars feel. Surprised they didn't throw in a R2 unit at least. I was surprised to see Forest Whitaker will be in this, I thought they would be going with unknown actors. Or they could, and are just throwing in a veteran actor to help out and balance things.

That guy does look like Biggs, I hope it is. I know in the old EU he was involved with either stealing plans for the T-65 X-wings or stealing some R2 units for the Alliance - I believe it was the R2 units. If it is Biggs in the picture they could be borrowing some ideas. I know Disney said they could possibly be doing that but if its true we could start to see it.
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles

Offline bdc41866

• Commander
« Reply #35 on: August 16, 2015, 11:47:01 PM »
I think the cast photo definitley captures the "ragtag group of rebel characters" feel. Although I do agree that the inclusion of an alien or two and possibly a droid (astromech for sure) would lend a little more to the Star Wars vibe. But Im digging the whole plot idea nonetheless. Its Star Wars!...Anything new is great in my opinion. Let anyone, directors, actors, heck even animators run with it. Open the Star Wars universe to the world of talent thats out there. Hell, a year ago did we think wed be seeing three young relatively unknowns as the new lead characters in Episode 7? And a new Darkside villian? Im just  ecstatic that almost forty years (since I first saw A New Hope at the age of 11) later we are still loving this awesome universe of good versus evil and lovable creatures and wondrous planets.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2015, 02:59:05 AM »
For me, I just wanted one prop from the OT, just one. Daggone I sure can't find one.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #37 on: August 17, 2015, 04:01:05 AM »
   If you look closely you can see some OT inspired props. The Hoth/Endor backpacks. The guy that looks like Biggs is wearing a parka similar to Hoth Han, and he's holding a rebel fleet blaster. The background guy is wearing a hoth like uniform. Its obviously shot in the Yavin Temple. In the way way back you can see the top of an astro droid. It won't be exactly like ep.4, it's sort of like Rebels, a story of a group of rebels detached from the mainline saga. Not sure what people want, not everyone has a lightsaber in the SW universe.
  I just want the story to be good. From what I've seen so far it looks cool, but if the story sucks or it has too many ties to the OT it'll ruin it. If they end up making that girl han solo's sister or something dumb like that, I won't like it.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 06:13:39 AM by JDeck »

Offline Mandalore25

• Colonel
  • For Mandalore!
    • DarthArmoressCustoms
« Reply #38 on: August 17, 2015, 07:25:05 AM »
Nobody asked for jedi, and story debate is pointless at this time, though I'd agree solo's sister would be dumb, we're just saying based on this one pic we've been given, it doesn't look like star wars. There's a finesse to it they just haven't captured in this picture, the movie itself should (hopefully) prove otherwise, but for now we have a loosely star wars based picture.

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #39 on: August 17, 2015, 08:59:58 AM »
There are more rumors that bounty hunters will appear in this, 7 I believe: Boba Fett, Dengar, IG-88, Bossk, 4-LOM, Zuckuss, and the big screen live-action debut of Cad Bane. Just rumors though.

If Felicity Jones is Han's sister, or those bounty hunters appear it would just seem so unoriginal. Its a huge universe, give us other characters.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2015, 09:13:22 AM »
    Exactly, I would like to see original characters with separate back stories. Not everyone has to be related in star wars. I read a couple weeks ago Falicity is Boba Fetts daughter. But that is a total rumor, it wouldn't surprise me. It would make no sense, with the ages, I hope like hell its not true. I hope they don't put any bounty hunters in it at all. But with all the fett fanboys out there, I wouldn't be shocked.

As of right now its all hear say. I totally doubt the validity of the rumors. I did read the director described the movie as a cross between Saving Private Ryan and The Dirty Dozen. That sounds cool to me. Of course those two movies were inspired by 7 Samurai, so that makes sense to me.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 11:31:45 AM by JDeck »

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2015, 11:09:08 AM »
I read that too about her possibly being Fett's daughter.  Just.. no. Like you said, with the ages it wouldn't make sense. If they want Boba Fett, give him his own movie, maybe show how he got out of the Sarlaac or something. I said before about showing different characters as its a huge universe, but I'm ok with (hopefully) that guy being Biggs. I could see Biggs taking part in something like this, and it goes back to what he told Luke in the Anchorhead deleted scenes, when he said he wanted to jump ship and "fight on the side he believes in."  Plus, while Biggs is quite popular, its nowhere near as the popularity Fett has.

I'll just say I'm more accepting of seeing Biggs over any unoriginal ideas like the bounty hunters or Felicity Jones being Han's sister/Fett's daughter.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2015, 11:34:33 AM »
Rumors are rumors. At first Bounty Hunters was supposed to be the first spin off. They said a group of bounty hunters were responsible for capturing the death star plans. I thought that was really stupid. So these rumors are crap. Somehow Bounty Hunters and Rouge one got all mixed together, so I highly doubt bounty hunters will be in this movie.
   If that guy isn't Biggs I'll eat my hat. Why would they cast someone who looks like Biggs, cut his hair and give him a little mustache like Biggs has. I'm cool with him in the movie, it does make sense for him to be involved in the mission. I'd like to see Wedge too. Meybe Bail Organa or Mon Mothma as orchestrators of the mission.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 02:19:55 PM by JDeck »

Offline Mandalore25

• Colonel
  • For Mandalore!
    • DarthArmoressCustoms
« Reply #43 on: August 17, 2015, 06:06:14 PM »
Strongly agree with new characters, that was one of my problems with star wars the clone wars, they had kenobi and anakin do almost everything! They can't fight a war single handed, it didn't make sense. Then the other problem, is if any characters we know get in danger, like biggs, it will mean nothing for we already know they'll survive. I find it a big problem in star wars for they never write things in a linear pattern. I was actually excited for rebels due to all new characters because they could kill one off at any time, and it would be heartbreaking, but rebels is more childish then the clone wars, so I doubt that will happen any time soon. I just like an open canvas so they can do anything.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2015, 06:14:56 PM »
We already know the outcome of the entire movie. The rebels steal the Death Star plans and transmit them to the Tantive IV, done deal role credits. I've been reading more about this movie and the director states it is going to be a "war movie". The visual effects coordinator or whatever he's called also worked on Saving Private Ryan, so it will be more along that fashion, with a star wars flavor.it may not " feel like star wars" but its a different perspective. From the vantage point of the soldier. Its a spin off they will take many artistic liberties with it. I for one encourage a different perspective.

The only thing is they will recycle a lot of ep.7 props. It only makes sense to save time and money. Most of the ep.7 vehicles and props are similar enough, they would just need to change some things and repaint them.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 06:40:05 PM by JDeck »