Author Topic: Rogue One  (Read 27871 times)

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
  • Proud member of Red Sox Nation
    • Star Wars Reviews
Rogue One
« on: March 12, 2015, 03:26:03 PM »
The first stand alone Star Wars film has been announced, with a title of Rogue One. It says that the film will explore characters and events beyond the main characters of the Star Wars saga. I can't wait for this as I'm guessing it will be about Rogue Squadron. As many of you know I'm big into space combat of Star Wars, Rogue Squadron, etc. If it's not about Rogue Squadron I will be shocked and highly disappointed. Shooting begins this summer and we're looking at a release date of December 16, 2016.

https://games.yahoo.com/news/title-first-star-wars-stand-174000090.html
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 03:28:56 PM by Goldleaderone »
"I want my sanity back." - Wedge Antilles

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: Rogue One
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2015, 02:57:58 AM »
It is great news, but with the whole Legendary Cannon thing don't get too disappointed if you find out the characters are fairly new.

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2015, 08:38:49 AM »
It is great news, but with the whole Legendary Cannon thing don't get too disappointed if you find out the characters are fairly new.

Exactly. When I saw the title I was overly excited. However someone on Rebelscum was quick to point out that Rogue One "refers to a ship, not a pilot designation in a starfighter squadron. "Tantive IV", for example, or perhaps even "Caprica One", "Home One", "Air Force One"".

Now with all the EU being discarded, the only time we see Rogue Squadron is Hoth. Luke was never referred to as "Rogue One", but rather "Rogue Leader".  Granted its the same thing, but that's where the above quote comes into play. This is why I'm trying not to get too excited. Nothing is set in stone yet.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 08:42:58 AM »
I'm excited it sounds cool. I always thought that rogue one was the #1  position on the rogue squadron. I'm sure they referred to Antilles as Rogue one while looking for Han and Luke. I take that back he was rogue 2 he might have been rogue 1 in rotj.  So it could take place during or after battle over endor. I'd be willing to bet its about Antilles he's the only pilot to survive both attacks on the Death stars and the battle of Hoth. He's also the only minor character to survive all 3 original movies.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 03:15:36 PM by JDeck »

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2015, 06:25:55 PM »
I'm excited it sounds cool. I always thought that rogue one was the #1  position on the rogue squadron. I'm sure they referred to Antilles as Rogue one while looking for Han and Luke. I take that back he was rogue 2 he might have been rogue 1 in rotj.  So it could take place during or after battle over endor. I'd be willing to bet its about Antilles he's the only pilot to survive both attacks on the Death stars and the battle of Hoth. He's also the only minor character to survive all 3 original movies.

In the films there was never any mention of "Rogue One" but rather "Rogue Leader". Actually, in all the battles we see, its always "Red Leader" or "Gold Leader" etc. There has never been a designation of "Red 1" or "Gold 1" even though "Rogue One" is the same as "Rogue Leader" basically. In the films they always use "Leader" and not "1".  Rogue One is the #1 position of the squadron.

The battle you might be referring to when they were looking for Han was the Battle of Gall from Shadows of the Empire. By then, Wedge had taken over Rogue Squadron. Luke temporarily flew with the squadron again, taking the Rogue Leader call sign. Wedge, who was already Rogue Leader, used Rogue One for the battle.  At the Battle of Endor, Wedge renamed Rogue Squadron to Red Squadron, to honor those who had fallen at the Battle of Yavin. Shadows is part of EU, so it's being discarded unfortunately.

Seeing that the "One" call sign originated in the EU, and was never spoken in film, its possible it will be discarded. So like the quote I mentioned before, its unsure if "Rogue One" is referring to Rogue Squadron or something like Home One or Air Force One. It'll be interesting for sure. I know it might sound a bit confusing at first but I hope I did a good job explaining it lol.  For all I know, we could be looking into it too much haha.

I talked it over with my friend today, he says it makes too much sense for it to not be about Rogue Squadron. Regardless we're both excited.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2015, 06:32:33 PM by Goldleaderone »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2015, 06:43:02 PM »
I was reading the film will take place during the same era as episode 7 so perhaps it could be wedge's daughter since they have casted a female already and it would make up for not having female pilots in star wars. Its all speculation right now I'm more excited about this than the bounty hunter movie.

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2015, 07:00:05 PM »
I was reading the film will take place during the same era as episode 7 so perhaps it could be wedge's daughter since they have casted a female already and it would make up for not having female pilots in star wars. Its all speculation right now I'm more excited about this than the bounty hunter movie.

According to the article, Felicity Jones has been cast as the female lead. My friend said she's a good actress. So Wedge's daughter (if they go that way) would make sense. Keep in mind anything EU is being discarded.

Then again, it would be a nice way to keep the Antilles' name going in the films, as Denis Lawson had no interest in returning to portray Wedge again. As a huge Wedge fan I'm highly disappointed. With that, I hope Wedge isn't in the movie. It would be weird to have someone else portray him. Maybe have someone say he retired, I'd be happy with that.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2015, 07:32:28 PM »
  Wedge was played by a couple different actors Colin Higgins in the briefing room and Dennis lawson in the battle scene. plus they dubbed his voice by an american David Ankrum  because bad guys had British accents for the most part with few exceptions. So they can replace him pretty easily. I could see him playing a small part in the movie like a General in a briefing room scene. I want to be surprised when I see it but my curiosity is killing me. I just want to know if it'll be good or not. Ya know.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 04:56:17 AM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2015, 06:42:28 AM »
I will be honest, if they don't have Wedge in their in some capacity (even showing up to add a bit of help in a dire time) I am gonna be disappointed. I know its the OT Boy in me, and I am glad to think perhaps we will see some female X-Wing Pilots, but Wedge deserves his own movie in my opinion.

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2015, 08:37:23 AM »
Denis Lawson has already made comments that he wasn't returning to TFA.  However I did hear a rumor he turned it down because it would be a minor role. If Rogue One is about Rogue Squadron, they could indeed get Denis Lawson back for Wedge, as the commanding officer. The role could be bigger then what he had in the OT.

To me, Denis Lawson IS Wedge. I want him or nobody.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2015, 08:39:42 AM by Goldleaderone »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2015, 05:55:35 AM »
I agree and  yes I had heard the same thing. It seemed like he was being arrogant at the time, but I bet you are right and the part with trivial at best.

Offline James

• Lieutenant
    • www.droidsandewoks.com
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2015, 11:36:32 AM »
I'm not sure what to expect from this movie. Somehow I'm not as excited about this one as I am about the new trilogy, but hopefully we will all be pleasantly surprised by a really good movie and a worthy addition to the Star Wars franchise.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2015, 02:20:53 AM »
I am kinda going into this one with no expectations. I think if we all do this we will be pleasantly surprised.

Offline Goldleaderone

• Action Fleet Guru
  • Brigadier
    • Star Wars Reviews
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2015, 06:52:22 PM »
Welp, looks like we have details about Rogue One. It will not be about Rogue Squadron, but rather a band of resistance fighters stealing the original Death Star plans. A bit disappointed, but excited at the same time. It will take place between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. I read it would take place after Star Wars: Rebels, and it would be more towards ANH.

Rogue One Wookiepedia: http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Rogue_One

Teaser:

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2015, 03:16:27 AM »
I didn't get a chance to see it daggone it.