Author Topic: GREAT fodder for 1:18 customs!  (Read 2151 times)

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
GREAT fodder for 1:18 customs!
« on: February 26, 2015, 01:19:14 PM »
I've long been a fan of knock-off GI Joes. I've watched them go from good-quality imitations of the Joes to downright heinous blobs of rubber with awful paint apps and terrible articulation (although one might argue they were just following Hasbro's lead).

Today at Target these guys caught my attention:

They have GOOD paint apps and holy cow, their articulation is on the same level as the Black Series!
I am DEFINITELY going to pick some of these guys up in the near future for customizing purposes. At $5 for a single figure and $20 for a pack of 5, they are going to be an absolute steal.
I have altered the action figure. Pray I don't alter it further.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: GREAT fodder for 1:18 customs!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 03:47:32 AM »
Daggone good points. Thanks for bringing these to our attention.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 09:00:44 PM »
Some of them would make great looking Rebel troopers.

Ron

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 09:11:20 PM »
I'm actually going to go pick the set up tomorrow morning as my late Valentine's Day/early birthday present!  0/
I'm going to see if I can't persuade my financier into letting me throw a couple more bucks at some of the single figs, too.

Offline Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2015, 11:24:07 AM »
If I didnt have a hoarder's supply of good fodder, I'd be stocking these up.

Of course I've seen them.  These are in the plentifully stocked area next to the galactic void that Target calls, the Star Wars section.

Offline smeagol92055

• Global Moderator
  • Colonel
    • Smeagol's Art Blog!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2015, 03:53:27 PM »

A quick review: the plastic is somewhat cheaper than the Star Wars Black line, though not nearly as cheap as other knock-off figures I've seen. The heads aren't ball-jointed, the joints are tight in their sockets and in danger of popping out if turned too quickly (which, coupled with the cheaper plastic, might equal a sheared-off limb or head if posed too many times), the paint apps aren't the best, but honestly, considering what I've seen from Hasbro of late, they're not that bad. A derpy eye here or there, but overall they're pretty clean-looking.
They have nice weapons and accessories, though they're not as easily swapped among the figures as the packaging would have you believe. The backpack pieces, in particular, all attach to the backs with different sized and shaped plugs, which makes it impossible to swap them among the figures. The weapons are nicely put together; none of them were bent or broken in the package, and the details are actually painted, rather than just being sprayed a flat black.

I can't wait to get into a new apartment so that I can pull my stuff out of storage and start using them for fodder. There are about four or five other figures in the series, individually packaged, and I plan on eventually collecting the entire line.

With a little Sculpy, a little Green Stuff, a little paint and a lot of patience, I'm confident you could tear these guys down and then rebuild them into some outstanding figures.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 03:55:51 AM »
Interesting review. Off to share.

I can also tell by your pic of them all you are in a much warmer climate than me!