Author Topic: non star wars, resin 3d paintings  (Read 1767 times)

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
non star wars, resin 3d paintings
« on: February 21, 2015, 11:13:05 PM »
this is a technique I first saw online a few years ago and always wanted to try...  after rediscovering it last week on deviant art I decided to try and teach myself this new medium.

Pioneered by Japanese artists, the technique entails painting an animal in layers of resin to create a 3d image.

Finished products:

Here are some WIP shots of my favorite one, the turtle

These 3 paintings together, working on them in stages, took me the entire week (I got the whole week off for snow here in Kentucky so it worked out well actually).

Each layer consists of pouring in resin, letting it cure, then painting a layer of the animal from the bottom up.   Starting with the bottom most feet or fins. 

Once the paint dries you pour a thin layer on top of that and paint another section... so on and so forth until you have the whole animal painted.

The result is a 3d image built from layers of 2d paintings inside the resin.  The resin takes 12 hours to cure, so this takes some patience and planning to get it right.  For my first ever attempt at this I think it turned out fantastic.

If you are interested in this technique and this artform I suggest you google "resin fish painting" and check out some of the amazing work done by the Japanese artists looks like.

(also, proof that I am not just a star wars nerd... lol.  I have many facets to my many hobbies) 

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: non star wars, resin 3d paintings
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2015, 07:23:54 AM »
This is so neat. Time to share. You ought to recreate the TESB scene with R2 and the swamp monster underwater style.

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 08:16:05 AM »
This is so neat. Time to share. You ought to recreate the TESB scene with R2 and the swamp monster underwater style.

I knew someone would come up with a good application for using this in a star wars dio! 

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2015, 02:21:47 PM »
This is a brilliant idea and you did an amazing job.

Ron

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2015, 08:47:07 PM »
I had heard of it but never seen it step by step like that before. What a cool deal!

Offline Joerhyno

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 07:21:16 AM »
Those are awesome. Did you add anything to the shell on the turtle to make it protrude or is that all paint?

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
    • deviant art
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2015, 05:11:26 AM »
Those are awesome. Did you add anything to the shell on the turtle to make it protrude or is that all paint?

Good question Joerhyno, and I totally forgot to address that.  I used a small piece of egg shell to help add to the 3d effect of the shell and get the effect of it protruding out of the water.