Author Topic: star wars magazines. and Marvel Star Wars.  (Read 11065 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
star wars magazines. and Marvel Star Wars.
« on: February 17, 2015, 06:05:42 PM »
 The star wars official starships and vehicle collection magazines is a fortnightly collection of 80 magazines published in 2008-2010. They showcase different vehicles from the original trilogy the prequels and even some expanded universe vehicles. They each come with an accurate dicast replica of the vehicle. I've bought a couple of these and I think they're pretty decent tons of  photos including behind the scenes photos, blueprints, and concept drawings. I use them as references but the models themselves serve as nice display pieces.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 03:11:41 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: star wars the official starships and vehicle collection.
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 03:37:59 AM »
I have the Walker one somewhere. Not a bad collectible to have.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: star wars the official starships and vehicle collection.
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2015, 03:46:53 PM »
Yeah these magazines are not much for accuracy maybe it was a misprint but the rebel medium transport issue claimed the ship is 900m long I about had a heart attack. That would mean my model would be like ten feet long. I am under the impression that it is "really" 90m long. Its confusing because there is no 1:1 scale only studio scale. The scales in ROTJ were all jacked up they were small in one shot and huge in another. Because every model was built a different "scale" A transport looked big compared to the Falcon but small compared to an A-wing. But anyway. The pictures and blueprints are still good as long as you disregard the specs.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 04:24:53 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
  I picked the Force Awakens collectors edition up at the Dollar General. Its pretty neat, it has tons of articles about, characters, costumes, creatures, sets, concept art, behind the scenes. All kinds of stuff. They have creatures I didn't even notice, including one of my favorite beasts from the OT. Don't get me wrong, ILM creature shop did an awesome job in ROTJ, but the creatures in TFA look amazing, especially in this book. Pretty cool magazine, its available until FEBRUARY 20th. With a cover price of $10.99.

I also got the ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY:  The ultimate guide to STAR WARS. Its a pretty cool magazine it has segments on the original trilogy, the "Legends", prequels and sequels. They have articles about Mcquarrie, the holiday special, ewoks, all kinds of cool stuff. Pretty neat book. That's available until MAY 2016.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 09:51:38 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: star wars magazines.
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 03:14:16 AM »
Magazines for me just never last. I got SW Insider for a few years and ended up sending them off. Books are a different story.

On that note, on the right side of the main page, I put up the four books I have ordered as a result of TFA.

The folks on the podcast last week really hooked me on the art of Star Wars, and the DK Cross Sections. Amazon has a great deal on the cross section books right now too.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: star wars magazines.
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 09:19:14 AM »
Magazines for me just never last. I got SW Insider for a few years and ended up sending them off. Books are a different story.

On that note, on the right side of the main page, I put up the four books I have ordered as a result of TFA.

The folks on the podcast last week really hooked me on the art of Star Wars, and the DK Cross Sections. Amazon has a great deal on the cross section books right now too.
  I like magazines, I can put them on the coffee table and if they get ruined, I just toss em out. By that time I'll have read them dozens of times. When I have a book on the table, I'm always afraid I'll spill crap on it or something.
  Amazon does have great prices on those books. I may get the Concept art and cross section books. The encyclopedia is at a good enough price I may get that too. but these magazines touch bases on a little bit of everything. They don't get into vehicles much, but it has an article about how they built the 1:1 scale Falcon. That thing is incredible. If they make a behind the scenes of TFA book like that book sculpting a galaxy, or something like that. I'd be all over it. I'm more into how they made the movie than how an x-wing engine works. That's just me though.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 01:17:37 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Marvel's Darth Vader.
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 03:05:17 PM »
   I picked out this Marvel Darth Vader comic book vol.1 on Amazon. I never got into the Expanded Universe, but I figured I'd pick this one up to see how the new stuff is. I believe this volume is a compilation of 6 comics in order. The story takes place between episodes IV&V A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. In my opinion the story is pretty cool. It explains Vader's motivation in Empire Strikes Back, why he was so determined to find Skywalker and the Falcon. It Has Jabba The Hutt, Emperor, Boba Fett and more. It also shows some of Vader's awesome powers you don't see in the movies. It gets a little weird at times, but that's why I didn't like EU to start with. For 12 bucks it was a good read. It was entertaining and gave me something to think about. I'd like to get the Lando, Leia and Star Wars comics soon.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 04:09:56 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
Re: star wars magazines. and Marvel Star Wars.
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2016, 03:16:15 AM »
Pretty cool. I am gonna feature this one soon. I am gonna have to go find it and add it to the literature section I have on the front page. Great review.

Click the image below to go to amazon and get this yourself like I did this morning after reading his review:

« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 03:23:00 AM by Tamer »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2016, 05:47:11 AM »
  Thanks Tamer. The second volume of Vader is out too. I ordered Princess Leia, Lando and Star Wars vol.1, this morning. They all seem really cool. I believe most of the comics are set between ANH&TESB, don't quote me on it though. In order to fully understand the spinoff comics I think you have to read Star Wars too. In Vader, there was a flashback panel I believe is from Star Wars vol.1 Skywalker strikes.
     I embrace the new EU, its undoubtedly canon. Some of the old stuff was so bizarre and ridiculous, I never considered half of it to be canon. Starting over allows the new to be better organized. From someone who didn't follow much of the old EU, it seemed cluttered and too vast. There were so many books, comics, games, it was hard to keep track.  Based on just reading this Vader comic collection and watching Rebels, the new Canon is pretty well thought out.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 06:34:19 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 06:09:25 AM »
I have a cool copy of the first Star Wars Comic with the Hasbro cover, but haven't picked up too much else. Might have to change that way of thinking though.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2016, 04:56:23 PM »
I have a cool copy of the first Star Wars Comic with the Hasbro cover, but haven't picked up too much else. Might have to change that way of thinking though.
  Yeah these comics are pretty cool. They're comic books, so they're a little different. That Hasbro cover is really cool. If I were a collector I'd be all into getting the different cover variants. They are awesome.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
2015 Marvel Star Wars Vol.1
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2016, 05:02:25 PM »
  I got the Star Wars Volume 1, from Amazon. Again it's a compilation of 5 comics. Its a really cool story. It takes place soon after the battle of Yavin. Characters include Han, Leia , Luke, Chewy, 3po, r2 and many more. Some of it's a bit of a streach, but its a comic book. It has tons of action, mystery and plot twists. Again it costs about 12 bucks, so its cheap entertainment.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2016, 05:27:10 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2016, 06:19:14 PM »
I put a bunch of these Marvel Comics and new books along the right side of the main page. Lots of great titles and they look good too.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Marvel's Lando
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2016, 07:02:19 PM »
   I had the time to read the Marvel Lando comic. Its pretty cool. I'm not sure of the exact time frame, but its after he lost the Falcon and before he acquired Cloud City. The story is a caper, of a very important ship. It doesn't give a whole lot of back story. Except for a little bit of Lobot's backstory, and the reason Lando gave up his scoundrel ways. Its a little different from the other comics, but I like it.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 07:04:31 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2016, 03:30:07 AM »
I put that one on the right side of the fp too. I am gonna get most of these eventually. Glad to hear the story is good.