Author Topic: Xizor's Virago: Custom Figures!  (Read 19680 times)

Offline XizorsVirago

• Lieutenant
Xizor's Virago: Custom Figures!
« on: August 17, 2009, 11:02:23 PM »
Okay, I've finally taken pictures of this custom... it's taken me a couple weeks (longer than I've ever bothered with one figure, haha), and here it is, my custom Guri figure! She's a repaint of the comic two-pack Leia (who came with Xizor), and would have totally been a better figure to pack in with Xizor, being his personal assistant assassin.  I've sculpted the boot rims out of a sniper rifle strap, and made her skirt with cotton, hemmed around the edge, using a necklace clasp to hold it on. Let me know what you think, I'd love some input on this figure! I know I need to touch up some parts of the paint (stomach, freaking shoulders...), but I haven't been motivated enough to mix up the paints just for those little parts yet.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 11:26:06 PM by XizorsVirago »

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
    • Kurgan's Star Wars Customs
Re: Xizor's Virago: Custom FIgures!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2009, 02:29:04 AM »
Nice figure!
You should really touch up those spots as it will make the figure look really complete.
I like the soft goods skirt. Maybe you should try to find a more subtle clasp or try to paint it gold?
Kurgan's Showcase: http://kurganscustoms.blogspot.com

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline Clonehead

• Global Moderator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2009, 03:50:30 AM »
Nice fig, Virago!
That skirt looks like it might have been a chore.
What kind of
Paint are you using?

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009, 06:45:27 AM »
Looks good - and I agree Guri would have been the logical choice for that pack.  Interesting approach on the skirt-clasp!  I've been known to make jewelry and the approach you took has never occurred to me.
(I think he went with silver to match her silver headband)

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2009, 06:55:04 AM »
I think so, too.
My approach was to match the belt buckle...

People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf

Offline DocOutlands

• headhunter extraordinaire
  • Moff
  • Rebel Finhead
    • Production Platform 3
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2009, 07:32:48 AM »
(scrolls back)  AH!!  I see that now.  I'd repaint the gold buckle, then, to match the rest. 

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2009, 11:18:43 AM »
man that is so much more awesome than I expected it to be.  Perfect rendition of her.  Shadows of the empire is one of the few expanded universe books i've read and actually enjoyed.  Now all we need is the seduced leia! ;)  lol 

not to mention that the leia that was included in that didn't look like carie fisher at all!  it is probably the WORST sculpt of leia I've seen yet (not including the potf and prior figs!)

now all you need is a decent looking stinger!

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2009, 12:02:03 PM »
I remember Luke let this gal go at the end of the novel. Did she show up ever again? I really did like her character as a droid assasin. Nice figure Virago!

Offline XizorsVirago

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 04:51:55 PM »
Thanks everybody! I'm really glad you guys like it! I actually just used the silver clasp because it was the only one I lad lying around, haha. Do you all think it would look better with a gold clasp, or with the belt buckle painted silver? Obviously painting the buckle would be easier, but new clasps aren't expensive, so whichever would make the fig look better is what I'd rather do.

Clonehead:  The skirt wasn't too hard, just deciding on the shape of the fabric was initially tricky... I ended up going with a semi-circle shape, and then I put a pleat(?) in the back to keep it from being poofy. I used Testors acrylic paints, which are probably not the best out there, but they seem to be durable enough (when you let them cure long enough, haha) and go on very smoothly. Any recommendation for a more durable paint for the shoulder joints? I'm not really a fan of enamels on figs (never seems to dry, I wonder why?), but if you know of a good strong acrylic brand, let me know.

As for the Stinger, it's a pretty massive ship (from the illustrations I've seen it would have to be BMF sized), so I've just given her the Magnaguard fighter, which fits her nicely, and is curvy enough to kind of go with the idea of Stinger, plus it has those sweet storage bays for her skirt and weapons! It does need a good name though... hmm.... throw me some ideas :D

Offline spudafett

• Mando Master
  • Moff
  • He's no good to me mashed!
    • deviant art
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 05:00:04 PM »
I still think that the titan ae valkyrie would make a good stinger base.

use acrylic paints and try to lightly sand the joints to avoid paint rub.

Offline Commander_Kurgan

• Brigadier
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 11:08:47 PM »
Do you all think it would look better with a gold clasp...

As long as you like your custom, it doesn't matter what I think.

Offline B.R. Steel

• Colonel
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2009, 08:27:47 AM »
Altering those cankled legs so the figure was wearing boots was a great way to go.  Nice job!

Offline Frie-leK SlavE

• Cadet
  • Property of Spudafett
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2009, 04:47:37 PM »
Nice job on the custom.  I never read the books but the fig looks cool.  I am impressed with the skirt.  I'm not even going to ask how long that took to make.  I worked for five hours making just a blanket for my dog's bed.  LOL 

Offline UnitedStatesDemocrat

• Mand'alor
  • Fleet Admiral
  • USD, Democrat (D)
    • USD on Flickr
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2009, 04:51:18 PM »
That's the Guri figure you mentioned in the chat room.  Really well done!
Federal Presidential Constitutional Republic of the United States of America
Outer Rim Territories, Mandalore Sector, Mandalore System, Mandalore

Offline XizorsVirago

• Lieutenant
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2009, 10:47:11 PM »
Okay, here's another round of some customizations I've done... This time, I bring you Vader's Bounty Hunters!  I don't have Zuckuss yet (can't freakin' WAIT for the new one to come out, they've been incomplete for so long!), and I have thus far left Dengar alone, although mine seems to be the wrong color, so he'll be on here soon enough.

Boba and Bossk's guns have been repainted, 4-LOM's head has been repainted to be movie accurate (See insert, curse you, Hasbro!), and IG-88 was customized from an IG-Lancer droid: I removed those obnoxious cones and made a bandolier. In the works one of these days will be a Vibro-ax, but I haven't decided how just yet. Enjoy!