Author Topic: mein greebles!!  (Read 3705 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
mein greebles!!
« on: November 26, 2014, 03:07:22 PM »
      I figured I would start my own greeble thread I don't want to take over Spectre's feed. I've been collecting greebles for a couple years since I started my ww2/star wars mashups. Recently I felt the need to organize them to make it easier to find the parts I want for different builds. All my loose stuff is divided by size, quality and uniqueness. The rest are still on sprues I'm debating whether to remove them but I think its easier to find things attached but if I separate them it would take up less space.

I've been buying incomplete kits and bulk lots online.  So far I've been getting 1/24, 1/25 car parts, 1/32, 1/35, 1/48  aircraft and tanks and 1/72 tanks. I've been looking at prices on 1/100 tanks (ILM used them a lot) and 1/700 battleships. I found 1/100 tank prices are over inflated on Ebay due to their gaming value. Modelers always have extra parts to get rid of some people will just give them away. 

Sorting through all these I've found some pretty cool stuff. The 1/72 kits are cool the tank wheels make good cooling fans. The german truck grills make really cool vents. The 1/25 superchargers I use for power generators. Just a lot of boxes, brackets and tubes things of that nature. I'm starting to do some scratch built ships and fighters so most of this stuff will help.
          If you would like to show your collection or add comments and advice please do.

« Last Edit: November 26, 2014, 05:45:52 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
Re: mein greebles!!
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 05:44:57 AM »
Wow, now that is a lot of greebles!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2015, 01:58:18 PM »
I got some more greebles today. I was able to purchase a 1/48 AH-64 Apache for 1/3 the MSRP. The kit has tons of cool parts, the rotor assembly stands out the most very cool lots of details.  The apache itself is very star wars looking so it will be real simple to convert it. I usually don't buy complete kits especially aircraft kits for greebles but it was a good deal and I need to diversify my greeble collection something besides tank and automobile parts. I know I'll use most of the parts I may use the cockpit and shell for a rebel hover tank.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 02:16:18 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 01:18:53 PM »
   Believe it or not I was starting to run low on greebles.  I bought a Tamiya 1/35 88mm gun FLaK 36/37 from amazon. If your new to kitbashing or scratch building this is the kit to get. I bought the Afrika Korps version 3 years ago, I've used at least one part from the kit on all my star wars scratch building projects. Matter of fact I used the barrel for the 1/18 moisture vaporator I built when I first joined the 'yards. The kit has at least 200 parts, ranging from fairly big to very tiny. This kits a bit different from the afrika version, it comes with the carriage, which is cool, a lot of neat parts.  i know ill use a lot of these parts on my Rebel AT-TE project.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 01:22:49 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2016, 05:31:50 AM »
http://amzn.to/1SWiCNI

And to the front page as well. Thanks for the info!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2016, 09:41:04 AM »
Quote from: Tamer

And to the front page as well. Thanks for the info!
[/quote
  Yeah, pleasure's all mine. There's tons of stuff you can do with greebles. Ship making, ILM used hundreds of Tamiya kits to make their ships. Diorama accessories, I've made tons of machines and things using model parts. Any kind of technology can be created using kitbashing , your imagination is the limit.  the Tamiya 88 is the best kit if you want tons of parts. The ship, aircraft and armor kits provide neat parts but mostly just the body, the 88 is nothing but little parts.
 I started mocking up some of the parts to make a crane like mechanism. With a few modifications I was able to make the crane operable with elevation and traverse. Tamiya 88mm gun pieces in grey, AMT AT-ST in white. I just need to add detail parts to make it more sci-fi. That's only 6 of the 200 parts available with the kit plus 2 from the AT-ST kit and a couple of pieces of plastic tubing. Had I completely scratch built it, this would have taken several hours. With the model parts it look less than an hour.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2016, 08:06:23 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2017, 06:25:54 PM »
     I was able to get a bunch of the Metal Earth Star Wars kits pretty cheap on ebay. I got them because they are basically photo etched parts. They might be a little thicker than photo brass, but the difference is negligible. Each kit has two sheets full of different shapes, and they are pretty well detailed concidering the thinness of the sheets. Works great for detailing panels, and they can be bent fairly easily.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 08:22:43 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2017, 06:34:22 AM »
So you are using them to detail the inside of your Shipyard, really cool effect. I have the AT-AT version of this, but never put it together.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2017, 06:46:42 AM »
Here is a link to the metal earth kits on eBay if anyone has the same idea:

eBay Metal Earth Kit Links

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2017, 11:02:11 AM »
So you are using them to detail the inside of your Shipyard, really cool effect. I have the AT-AT version of this, but never put it together.
   Yeah im using these parts to detail the interior of the hangar bays. It is 1/14000 scale.   It's impossible to get this kind of detail with a scribing tool.
   The metal earth kits on their own are pretty cool though, nice detail. Only problem is not bending them, or getting a kit that isn't already bent.

Offline (SID)

• "Toy Designer/fabricator/Scavenger"
  • Commander
  • Welcome to the ULTER-VERSE
    • VECHAL CREATIONS
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2017, 06:03:30 PM »
Wow... Always seen those Metal Earth kits an never thought of using them for parts. That's soo clever. Definitely gunna have to remember that for later.