Author Topic: JDeck's dioramas and displays.  (Read 135982 times)

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
Re: JDeck's dioramas and displays.
« Reply #420 on: September 07, 2017, 04:42:25 PM »
I am just getting around to looking at this and i can totally relate i havent had time to work on my stuff at all lol its crazy ! but i am slowly getting there . Anyway love the palace update that is a dio i have wanted to tackle for a long time now, yours is looking fantastic   ... keep the updates coming when you can 

Offline CHEWIE

• Commander
« Reply #421 on: September 12, 2017, 09:10:11 AM »
That Jabba's throne room area is wonderfully done.  I've seen dozens of customs ones over the years and this is definitely one of the better ones in my opinion.

0/

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #422 on: September 22, 2017, 03:09:41 AM »
I agree with CHEWIE! ;) Jabba's Throne Room looks top-notch! Can't wait to see it completed with Han in carbonite! What did you out on the walls? As far as I understand your description, it's sanded screed painted with Woodland Scenics colours, right?

- Philipp
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 03:17:07 AM by legion078 »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #423 on: June 26, 2019, 12:47:23 PM »
Thank you everyone for your comments. Recently I bought the Jabba's Palace adventure set, which pretty much finished the construction of the project. I still need to add some details.

Anyway, I was fooling around with the extra TBS Han in Carbonite, and decided to try a Han in Carbonite in the thawing process. I painted it using Tamiya red and Tamiya clear orange. I couldn't find my clear red. I heated up a nail with a lighter while holding it with pliers, then I melted holes in the Carbonite block. The plastic is thicker than I thought, but it's not too bad. I was hoping for a thinner plastic, so it would glow more. Ideally, I'd like to make a clear resin cast, and paint it, but I have no experience with resin.  It's a work in progress. Worst case scenario I just dremmel out the Han, add a clay indentation, for a post thawing empty Carbonite block. I need to order LEDs for the palace display anyway, so I'll order some for this. Right now I'm just using one of those little tap lights. I think I need to make the holes bigger, and more of them. 

I dunno he's starting to look like Meltman from Kablaam.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2019, 06:09:58 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #424 on: June 27, 2019, 07:23:35 AM »
Oh yeah, works for me. Nice.

Off to share.

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #425 on: June 29, 2019, 04:09:02 AM »
JD, that's such a cool display for Jabba and all of your figures of his palace! I'm very excited to see how your Han in carbonite turns out! Have you made a mold of it before you dremeled it?

- Philipp

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #426 on: June 29, 2019, 02:37:33 PM »
JD, that's such a cool display for Jabba and all of your figures of his palace! I'm very excited to see how your Han in carbonite turns out! Have you made a mold of it before you dremeled it?

- Philipp
Thanks Philip! I still have the Han in Carbonite that came with the set unaltered. This was just a spare. I did see a resin casting kit at my hobby shop, but I don't know if I'll go that route. It would really be the best way to do it.
Oh yeah, works for me. Nice.

Off to share.
Thank you Tamer. It was a noble experiment at least. I've never seen it attempted.

Offline Starchaser

• Moff
  • He who dares wins!
« Reply #427 on: July 19, 2019, 11:27:56 AM »
Jabba's palace looks great. I really love the experimenting you are doing to get a "thaw" in the carbonite block - very ingenious!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #428 on: July 24, 2019, 01:10:45 PM »
Jabba's palace looks great. I really love the experimenting you are doing to get a "thaw" in the carbonite block - very ingenious!
Thank you. I think I'm going to try making a clear resin Han in Carbonite. My hobby shop has a beginner's resin set. $25 is worth a shot. I think I'll just scoop this one out, and make a post thawing block.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #429 on: July 24, 2019, 01:26:36 PM »
I'm planning on moving soon, I'm not sure if I'm going to have a hobby room, or a home office for a tax write-off.   At any rate I want to use up the diorama stuff I have, because most of it will end up in the dumpster, otherwise. I have my homemade Endor Forest-In-A-Bag™ (Ground cover) Army painter grass Tufts, fiber clusters, vines, and green fine turf, a few little bits of preserved sea plants. Also I have some palm trees, that made into ferns, by pulling off the tops, and glueing them to the bases. I repainted them, and I think they look lovely.

I am debating on whether to build a 1/18 Scout Trooper mission diorama, or a 1/48 AT-ST using a Bandai kit I haven't put together yet. Oooorrrr I can rebuild my Ewok display, bigger, better and more ewokeier. What do y'all think?
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 02:18:32 PM by JDeck »

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #430 on: July 24, 2019, 03:35:43 PM »
Also I found two huge pieces of insulation foam in the dumpster at my warehouse. Bath fitters has their warehouse across from me, and sometimes they throw out some cool stuff. They're about an inch thick, twice the thickness I'm used to using, but maybe I can carve out a topography.

I'm still finding more forest stuff in my Dio box little trees that I painted, different mosses, and fiber clusters. I gotta use all this stuff up.  Maybe I'll make both a 1/18 and  1/48 dioramas. I got enough stuff to build an entire forest.  So if anyone is interested, I'll be showing you all how to make an endor forest using all the crap you see here.

Also I have some Desert white fine terrarium sand. Maybe I can also build a Kashyyyk diorama with all this junk. Stay tuned for Kashyyyk Jungle-In-A-Bag™.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2019, 04:55:47 PM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #431 on: July 25, 2019, 06:45:30 AM »
Heck you could even do a Scarif Dio with that stuff. Think I would still go Endor AT-ST cause you could do that as the main theme and then do a bunch of mini-scenes around it if you have more stuff; like the Biker Scouts getting whacked by Ewoks with stone axes, etc. Off to share your question. Have fun with the move, but I hope you are able to have your collection.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #432 on: July 25, 2019, 08:31:05 AM »

Heck you could even do a Scarif Dio with that stuff. Think I would still go Endor AT-ST cause you could do that as the main theme and then do a bunch of mini-scenes around it if you have more stuff; like the Biker Scouts getting whacked by Ewoks with stone axes, etc. Off to share your question. Have fun with the move, but I hope you are able to have your collection.
I'll still keep my collection, and build figures and Bandai kits. It's just building dioramas would require a designated space. I don't absolutely need a home office, but it would be nice. And the itemized deductions would be in the thousands. Let's say your home office is 10% of your home by square footage, you can deduct not only 10% off your mortgage/rent, but also electricity and WiFi. It's a really tough decision. Either way, I don't want to carry all this stuff with me.
Absolutely, I could also do a scarif diorama with the sand I have. I have the Bandai U-wing and tie striker still. I've always wanted to do a battle of Scariff. I'll have to check out those new gaming miniatures, scout trooper and bike sets they have. I don't know if they have Ewok's, but I can use the old FFG pieces
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 11:12:04 AM by JDeck »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #433 on: July 25, 2019, 03:45:18 PM »
I think a AT-ST dio would be awesome and as Shawn said you could build around it and make smaller scenes and have the AT-ST as the main story/scene.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #434 on: July 25, 2019, 05:09:14 PM »
I think a AT-ST dio would be awesome and as Shawn said you could build around it and make smaller scenes and have the AT-ST as the main story/scene.

Ron

Thank you. Yes I agree that would be great, and easy to move. Then it's settled. It will be an Endor diorama extravaganza! Multiple scales, scenes and yes, Ewoks!  I'll start with the AT-ST, I already have a neat idea. I've even started the mock up, with a donor AT-ST.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2019, 07:14:23 PM by JDeck »