Author Topic: JDeck's dioramas and displays.  (Read 135175 times)

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Re: JDeck's dios & figures.
« Reply #330 on: December 08, 2016, 07:19:14 PM »
Hey JD mate those generators looks excellent I can't wait to see more.

Ron
    Thanks bud! I'm starting to get some pretty cool ideas for this dio. Until then theres those pesky details like putting the models together and painting them. It'll definitely look like a war zone when it's done. In a good way.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #331 on: December 08, 2016, 11:54:32 PM »

Ron
    Thanks bud! I'm starting to get some pretty cool ideas for this dio. Until then theres those pesky details like putting the models together and painting them. It'll definitely look like a war zone when it's done. In a good way.

I can't wait mate and that's one reason I have been enjoying the Bandai 1/144 kits you can make a great dio's with them and still have space for other projects.

Ron

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #332 on: December 09, 2016, 03:07:52 AM »

Ron

I can't wait mate and that's one reason I have been enjoying the Bandai 1/144 kits you can make a great dio's with them and still have space for other projects.

Ron

Yeah I hope they continue making the 1/144. Most of them are TFA though. Don't get me wrong I like TFA, but from a collecting/customizing standpoint it's OT or nothin. They have Slave I, X-Wing and Y-wing. A trench run using the A-wing DS cannon would be cool. I dont think they'll make an OT Falcon in 1/144, unfortunately.

Online Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #333 on: December 09, 2016, 03:58:18 AM »
Yeah, I think you could argue it either way you want to approach it. It is hard to exactly pinpoint in TESB.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #334 on: December 12, 2016, 05:46:48 PM »
Yeah, I think you could argue it either way you want to approach it. It is hard to exactly pinpoint in TESB.
  Yeah OT Star Wars has some inconsistencies in scale and distances, but it's still amazing how they did it all. I think I will use the Generators, even though it isn't at an exact proportionate distance. Each generator holds a 9v battery perfectly inside. Which is advantageous since I plan to add some LED effects. Everything is on ice right now waiting for lighting materials.

Online Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #335 on: December 13, 2016, 03:46:03 AM »
Lighting sounds great. I can't wait to see how you light em up!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #336 on: December 13, 2016, 05:04:25 PM »
Lighting sounds great. I can't wait to see how you light em up!

I have a few ideas for lighting effects. Here is a taste of what I'm cooking up. I would like to have the laser "float", but this, I think is the best I can get. I used a .03" fiber optic, a 3mm red LED with a shrink tube connection. At first I used a 1/16" acrylic rod, but it was too wide for this scale. It's still in the experimental stage. I melted the tip of the fiber optic with a lighter, and painted the base of the optic with clear smoke, so it isn't a steady laser beam. I think it has the general look I wanted. I enjoy doing things like this, it involves a lot of problem solving.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2016, 10:29:21 PM by JDeck »

Online Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #337 on: December 14, 2016, 03:27:32 AM »
Now that looks fantastic! Very good. Off to share with thew world.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #338 on: December 14, 2016, 01:50:07 PM »
Now that looks fantastic! Very good. Off to share with thew world.
    Many thanks Tamer! Initially I wanted to use the lasers that are included in the Bandai kits, but they were too dark.
   Here is the beginning stage of the landscape.  I'm  just using a bluefoam base with taped newspaper to create the basic topography. Sort of a model train technique. I still need to build up the generator side a little higher. I'll add more ground effects with plaster cloth, spackle and so forth. I still need to make a background too. Buncha stuff to do. Im hoping to get this done by new years.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 08:38:56 PM by JDeck »

Online Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #339 on: December 15, 2016, 03:40:41 AM »
Looking great to me. off to share again!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #340 on: December 17, 2016, 04:13:35 PM »
Looking great to me. off to share again!
    Many thanks again Tamer! Yup its coming along.

Here is another example of some of the lighting effects I'll use. The lights are a fire kit from Evan's designs http://www.modeltrainsoftware.com/fire-led.html. it really is great. Yes you could use the flicker tea lights, they're certainly a cheaper route. I like the fire kit because it's brighter and the flash is much more dramatic. Its all pre wired, you just select the bulb size (I used 1.8mm), voltage (9v) and wire length (14", better to have too long than too short.). You still have to buy the battery holder and switch. It's basically 1 solid orange bulb, 1 flashing red, 1 flashing yellow. The flash rates are at different speeds, and the effect is really cool. If you want a big flame you can use multiple kits, or supliment  it with red, yellow or orange lights.
    For the smoke i just fluffed up some cotton, and sprayed it flat black. Sometimes less is more, so just spray little squirts at a time. I still need to practice, by the time this is done I'll be an expert.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 06:34:51 PM by JDeck »

Online Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #341 on: December 18, 2016, 06:15:02 AM »
Sweet effect. Off to share.

Online Sjefke

• Commodore
  • The Yuzzum is in
« Reply #342 on: December 19, 2016, 01:18:04 AM »
Wow!
Really cool.

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #343 on: December 21, 2016, 07:33:14 AM »
Damn awesome work JD, I'm really enjoying the WIP pics and I'm really looking forward to seeing the completed dio.

Ron

Offline Darth More

• ...'cause we always want more...
  • Grand Moff
  • Darth More's Custom Workshop
« Reply #344 on: December 23, 2016, 01:16:01 PM »
The smaller the scale is the more opportunities there are to go BIG! This is a great Hoth dio! And the light effect looks phenomenal! It does look like a real explosion which is in my opinion one of the hardest things to portray in model building. Amazing job on this one!