Author Topic: JDeck's dioramas and displays.  (Read 135184 times)

Offline mr.Jedi1977

• Major
Re: JDeck's dios & figures.
« Reply #315 on: November 28, 2016, 02:31:23 PM »
Man that is really an awesome effect i like this very much ! well done indeed !

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Endor display lighting.
« Reply #316 on: November 28, 2016, 03:31:24 PM »
It is really coming along. Nice. Off to share.
    Many thanks Tamer.
Man that is really an awesome effect i like this very much ! well done indeed !
      Thank you Mr Jedi!

I added some lighting. I attached 8 warm white LED undercounter lights to the top of the shelf. If you use regular cool white LEDS it might look like disco Ewoks. Then I taped some deer fence, sort of a plastic chicken wire, over the lights. Then I stuck some artificial cedar branches throgh the holes. That's it. I think it looks much better, it's not as drab and gloomy. I've been wanting to build an in shelf fully light diorama for a long time.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 09:08:34 PM by JDeck »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #317 on: November 28, 2016, 11:08:29 PM »
Mate that lighting looks awesome it actually looks like sunlight beaming thru.

Ron

Offline Jaeger45

• Lieutenant
« Reply #318 on: November 29, 2016, 02:11:11 AM »
Your diorama turned out great!  I love the idea of an Ewok hunt.

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
  • He who is one with the Walker
« Reply #319 on: November 29, 2016, 03:51:01 AM »
What a great display. I love how you did the lighting. Great work and off to share again.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #320 on: November 29, 2016, 01:12:52 PM »
Mate that lighting looks awesome it actually looks like sunlight beaming thru.

Ron

Thank you! Originally I was going to use Christmas lights, but I didn't think they were strong enough to crate a beam.  It would be just a glow.
Your diorama turned out great!  I love the idea of an Ewok hunt.
  Thanks Jaeger! I like the hunt scene too, but it's a little crowded with all my Ewoks. I'd just use a handful of them to make the scene. I have a bunch of ideas for scenes, that I'll change up from time to time.
What a great display. I love how you did the lighting. Great work and off to share again.
   Many thanks again Tamer! I'm pleased with it. A while back I swore off dioramas for good, because of the cost and mess. But I can't stay away for too long. I might make a Hoth Scene for my next shelf display diorama thing.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
AMT Battle of Hoth. 1/150
« Reply #321 on: December 06, 2016, 04:43:34 PM »
   Here is a sneak preview of my next project. I bought a 1996 AMT battle of Hoth action scene model kit. Its a direct repack of the 1981 MPC battle on ice planet Hoth snapfit kit. It comes with a diorama base, 2 AT-ATs in walking positions, 1 AT-AT in a destroyed position. 1 AT-ST, 3 Snowspeeders, 3 rebel turret cannons, 2 rebel dish type cannons, 1 X-Wing and several Rebel soldiers, along with several snowtroopers. The kit is basically 1/150 scale, but its all over the map. Thats why I never got this kit before. Until I realized no other manufacturer will ever make these models anywhere near the same scale.

GAME PLAN
  I'm going to make another shelf diorama, similar to the Endor one, but a different scale.  First I'll toss the base, it's just a piece of vac form plastic. I plan to make my own, out of insulation foam board. Which means I'll have to scratch build a power generator, nothing fancy, I think a chewed up piece of gum would be an improvement to the one in the kit.
          The AT-ATs have some issues, but they aren't bad. I will need to putty them because the seam line is very noticeable, when assembled. The only tough part will be individually painting all the Rebel soldiers. I'm not going to use the snowtroopers, they weren't deployed until after the generator was destroyed. I might look into a second kit, that way I'll have 3 walking AT-ATs.  Its Tuesday, so I might start tonight or tomorrow. I've been collecting parts for the generator, so Ill feature that soon, when I start assembling it.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2016, 05:30:28 PM by JDeck »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #322 on: December 06, 2016, 05:50:41 PM »
I forgot how cool this kit is, thanks for the pics and I look forward to seeing your dio.

Ron

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #323 on: December 07, 2016, 03:03:02 AM »
My comments are on the front pages. Looking forward to seeing this unfold.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #324 on: December 07, 2016, 01:27:05 PM »
I forgot how cool this kit is, thanks for the pics and I look forward to seeing your dio.

Ron

Thanks Ron! It is pretty cool, to have all these items in a close enough scale. Using one or two kits you can make a really cool scene.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #325 on: December 07, 2016, 01:28:10 PM »
My comments are on the front pages. Looking forward to seeing this unfold.
    Thanks Tamer! For being a 35 year old kit, it has a lot of potential.

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
Distance to power generator? 1,7.2,8??
« Reply #326 on: December 07, 2016, 01:33:57 PM »
   I started making the power generator today. I used 4 Icebreakers mints containers, 8 condiment containers with lids, styrene strips and a plastic tube. The good thing is my breath will be minty fresh for the next several days, the bad thing is I don't know if  I'll use it in my diorama. The generator was quite a distance from the battlefield. The entire diorama will be at most 2.5 feet, so in 1/150 scale its about 114 meters. Well within point blank firing range of an AT-AT. :(  It'll be one of those last minuet decisions, we'll see. It depends how I want to do it. If the scene is at the end of the battle, that might work.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 02:55:15 AM by JDeck »

Offline Tamer

• Administrator
  • Grand Admiral
« Reply #327 on: December 08, 2016, 03:44:11 AM »
Looks pretty spot on realistic to me. I can picture you eating a ton of mints right now. LOL.

Kind of a shame if you can't use it, but that just means you can make another diorama with rebel troops protecting it in trenches or some such thing. Off to share!

Offline JDeck

• High Admiral
« Reply #328 on: December 08, 2016, 10:23:48 AM »
Looks pretty spot on realistic to me. I can picture you eating a ton of mints right now. LOL.

Kind of a shame if you can't use it, but that just means you can make another diorama with rebel troops protecting it in trenches or some such thing. Off to share!
   Thanks Tamer! Yeah I put all those mints in a sandwich bag, its a little suspicious looking. LOL.
    I've been watching the rebel retreat scene over and over, it does seem to be in close proximity. It could be the AT-AT had to move into point blank range to penetrate the generator's armor, because it does seem they fired at it once or twice earlier, and nothing happened. Either way I think i will build a rebel retreat dio, that'll be cool, with a bunch of explosions and stuff like that.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 02:41:29 PM by JDeck »

Offline hemble

• Grand Admiral
« Reply #329 on: December 08, 2016, 03:59:24 PM »
Hey JD mate those generators looks excellent I can't wait to see more.

Ron